Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 7:26:11 AM EDT
Well boys,  it's getting down to the wire.  My unemployment runs out next month and I am not sure of my prospects.

I am talking to this one company in Fort Worth about going overseas.....but I don't know if it will pan out.

I put in my resume with Bechtel for work in Iraq, but I think it will be mid-month or June before I hear from them if at all.

If anyone out there has any clue as to who is hiring for overseas jobs, then let me know.

I know that there are a few of us on here that are unemployed, maybe we can network together and help each other find work.

JarHead94
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
what field are you looking for? I'm also still unemployed. got out of the Corps in August. seems no jobs to be had other than burger-flipping
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Maggie..

Congrats on your EAS.  I got out in September 1999.  My background is electronics and fiber optics.  I can't buy I job right now in telecom.  Looking for anything techy or just plain old construction.  I can lift and fetch as good as the next illegal alien.

My big draw back is that I am really not willing to relocate although I will if the pay is right....so I bring a lot of the suffering upon myself.  I am willing however to work a year or 3 overseas.

Good luck to you in the job hunt....it took me 6 months after getting out to find a job and back then they were plentiful.  Try to read as much as you can on how to act during an interview, and get tips on a professional resume.  It took me a while to get out of the Corps mentality and lingo, though it never leaves you for good.  

Let me know what you do or are looking for, I will pass on what I see that might be interesting to you.

JarHead94
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Cops in Iraq 80k, tax free.
Uncle Sugar will take you back
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
fiber and copper here too. was a 2513 construction wireman . worked base telephone at LeJuene. Had a job for a while running a dirctional boring machine, then no more work to do, so no more job. i'm desperate now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
For what it is worth.  I worked with a school teacher that ran a mowing/lawn service during the summer.  Made more mowing lawns for three months, than he did teaching school all year.

He built it up from a one man, one mower operation into a three crew, multiple trucks service.

He was bringing in 4k a month during the 'slow months.'

In the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, if you have a truck, trailer and tractor, you can make some good money mowing industrial property and commercial tracts.  My father in law checked into it a few years back and the pay is real good, but it takes more overhead than the simple yard boy operation.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I know this may sound bad but Wal-Mart is always hiring.  Don't be embarassed to work at a Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, etc.  Any work is better than none and it wouldn't hurt to have extra job experience.  
         Remember what the door mouse said,
             Chris Holsonback
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Sylvan,

By cops, do you mean the International Police?  If not, please explain.  The IP's require 8 years experience in law enforcement, which I don't have.

JarHead94
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked at Wal-Mart for 3 months during Christmas. Dont be embarrased to work there. Do what you have to. Ive been unemployed for almost 2 years now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure where in Texas you telcos are, but my compnay in San Antonio is maybe looking for one tech.  Pay is low thanks to the depressed sector and WorldCom laying off everyone is San Antonio almost, but IM me if you are interested... . .  If not, IM me and we can go shooting!!!

VMAX
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
For what it is worth.  I worked with a school
In the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, if you have a truck, trailer and tractor, you can make some good money mowing industrial property and commercial tracts.

I actually tried that for a day in the Denver, Colo. area and almost chopped my foot off. (Blade just cut through the sneaker, sock and took half a toenail). One of the jobs I actually dropped my tools and walked away.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw the post about being unemployed...and working at Home Depot. I worked at the Home Depot for 2 years I sold appliances and made $16.00 hour to start. With the battling between Lowes and Home Depot they are always looking for qualified people to staff their various departments. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hi Maggie..

Congrats on your EAS.  I got out in September 1999.  My background is electronics and fiber optics.  I can't buy I job right now in telecom.  Looking for anything techy or just plain old construction.  I can lift and fetch as good as the next illegal alien.

My big draw back is that I am really not willing to relocate although I will if the pay is right....so I bring a lot of the suffering upon myself.  I am willing however to work a year or 3 overseas.

Good luck to you in the job hunt....it took me 6 months after getting out to find a job and back then they were plentiful.  Try to read as much as you can on how to act during an interview, and get tips on a professional resume.  It took me a while to get out of the Corps mentality and lingo, though it never leaves you for good.  

Let me know what you do or are looking for, I will pass on what I see that might be interesting to you.

JarHead94

JarHead, i work for a company called DG21 on Diego Garcia in the indian ocean.  we run the communications facilities here for the navy.  interested??  i might be able to get your resume in the door to the boss's desk if you are.  you have a clearance?

Styk
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Unemployed since August 18, 2000.  Such fun.

TS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top