Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2003 7:30:43 PM EDT
Trying to find out if there are any Texas Hill country shooters here.  I'm in Fredericksburg, and would like to get together with some local members.  I've got access to 85 acres if anyone is in the area and would like to get it on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Fredericksburg is a little ways out... but sometimes I go to Johnson City for the Texas Tactical matches.

(search for Texas Tactical... you'll find his page... the carbine matches are fun as hell)

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Matthew Q,

How are those matches?  For the past two times I have been unable to go, but I may be able in May.

What kind of equipment do you need?  How much ammo?

Thanks from San Antonio,

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah please give a little more info about Texas Tactical.  I read the website, but can you describe how they have the course setup, who runs it, and so forth.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
i make it up to the yoakum, shiner, halletsville area from time to time!
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Trying to find out if there are any Texas Hill country shooters here.  I'm in Fredericksburg, and would like to get together with some local members.  I've got access to 85 acres if anyone is in the area and would like to get it on.

I'm in Austin.  Send your contact information to Bunghole.  www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=8&f=8&id=42  He will add you to the Texas contacts list, and send you a link to it.  There are quite a few of us here in central Texas.

The drive out to Fredrickburg is a pleasant one.  I'd be happy to come out!
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,

The TexasTactical matches are basically like IDPA matches, but with rifles.  Ranges are usually a little greater, but the berms/bays that they are set up in limit it to 25 yards.  Sometimes stages are done on the 50 yard line of the rifle range.

Usually you won't have to fire more than 20 rounds in a stage.  Some will force you to download your first mag to force a reload.  Usually don't need more than one spare mag, but two are beneficial.

Thus, you would need something to carry a couple spare magazines.

You must also carry a pistol for backup.  Pretty much anything you can use for IDPA will be acceptable.  A couple extra mags are good, and some way to carry them.

As far as what weapon you use, you can use pretty much any rifle you would pick up in a SHTF situation.  Most people use ARs.  Myself, I've used an M1 Carbine and a semi-auto Thompson, but built a 16" AR due to the sheer practicality and ergonomics.  Optics are allowed.  Full auto used to be, but due to the range owner's rules, no more.  Having a sling on the rifle is beneficial.  Some use tactical slings on ARs, which is the setup I have going now... it's sweet... anyway...

For the whole match, you'd want to bring at least 100 rounds for your rifle and probably 50 for pistol (even though you might only shoot one magazine from your pistol).  Bring some water/refreshments (the guys that run it bring water, too) and some sun screen and maybe a chair.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2003 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I will second that the Tactical Carbine matches are a blast.

The only hard part is that in the summer they start at 9:30 AM.
During the winter months they start at 12:30 PM since they hold a lowlight IDPA type pistol shoot after dark.

The only part that sucks is that they don't allow full auto anymore, :(

James
Austin Texas
[email protected]

Link Posted: 4/22/2003 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Cuero,

But I'm at my folks place in Llano almost every weekend.

It's about halfway b/t Llano & Fredericksburg on 2323

I go shootin' with a friend from Harper.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I live in Cuero,

my aunts place is just (when heading from goliad to cuero) south of the picnic area and five mile road on the left got a sign on the gate "welcome to nowhere" LOL.  i shoot up there sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live in Cuero,

my aunts place is just (when heading from goliad to cuero) south of the picnic area and five mile road on the left got a sign on the gate "welcome to nowhere" LOL.  i shoot up there sometimes.

I've seen that place.  If I do any shooting down @ Cuero I have to go on my bosses place in Meyersville.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live in Cuero,

I've seen that place.  If I do any shooting down @ Cuero I have to go on my bosses place in Meyersville.

Meyersville huh?  i like to stop off at the little store there on the corner and have a beer and play dominos and cards w/ the ole fellas that are in there sometimes...the beer is always COLD!!  
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live in Cuero,

Meyersville huh?  i like to stop off at the little store there on the corner and have a beer and play dominos and cards w/ the ole fellas that are in there sometimes...the beer is always COLD!!  

I hear that that store is closing soon.  Someone esle might buy it and reopen it though
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in Round Rock. Are there any Texas Tactical Matches scheduled in the near future? They sound like lots of fun. Please send more information regarding the Matches.

Tom
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a place about 8 miles east of Harper.  Texas Tactical sounds like a blast, if I can make it work, I'll try to go to the next one.  

I'm going to get my info on the contacts list so if anyone is in the area, let me know and we'll get it on.

Laters
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most people use ARs.  Myself, I've used an M1 Carbine and a semi-auto Thompson, but built a 16" AR due to the sheer practicality and ergonomics.

So pistol-caliber ARs are okay?  I have a 9mm Colt-style with Sten mags that I'd LOVE to give a workout at a match
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's the information I promised:

IDPA MATCH JOHNSON CITY

Date: Sunday, May 4, 2003
Time: 9:30AM CDT (GMT-05:00)

Texas Tactical holds an IDPA Match the 1st Sunday of every month
at our range in Johnson City, Texas. The match is open to all
safe shooters of all ages and skill levels.
New shooters, please sign up by 9:30 for a new
shooter orientation.

Hope to see y'all there. SHOTGUN SIDE MATCH (birdshot ammo only)

For more information and location check out our brand spanking
new website below:

mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html

P.S. We will shoot rain , shine or holiday.
(Please check website in case of severe
weather!)

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey I live in Harper 3mi north of the school off of Doss Hwy. I own an explosives buisness and travel 3-4 days a week but I shoot every day I'm at home. I have my FFL and I'm putting togather a real nice IPSC/IDPA course at my place. E-Mail me if you need any thing or wan't to get togather and shoot sometime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm in Round Rock. Are there any Texas Tactical Matches scheduled in the near future? They sound like lots of fun. Please send more information regarding the Matches.

Tom

There's a Carbine match this coming Saturday.  I won't be going, as I'll be moving the weekend after, and need to get shit squared away.  I'm in Round Rock, too.  I have another buddy that lives up here that goes with me.  They are an absolute blast!  I'll be going to the one in June for sure.  Got a new m4gery I need to try out!

GLoftoe, yes, you can use pistol caliber ARs.  I used a Thompson the last time I shot in one!  

Now I'm gonna be all tac'd out with an AR, tac sling and drop leg mag pouch and stuff....

Hope to see y'all there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top