Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2022 5:30:38 PM EDT
Just a heads-up as I know a lot of people commute from the EPH along that road.  This is info from today's meeting.

https://www.facebook.com/DoyleforCommissioner/posts/369656944968060

The Jefferson County delegation to the State Legislature met today at 9am with WV Secretary of Transportation Jimmy Wriston and several staff people at the Division of Highways (DOH), to discuss the DOH plan to close US 340 "between the bridges" for 3 months. The closure is necessary for work to be done stabilizing rock on the Loudoun Heights part of the Blue Ridge Mountain. The rock there has been determined to pose imminent danger to traffic on that portion of 340.

The closure will begin at the end of September and last until December 31. During that time traffic will be routed south via Virginia Route 671 to Virginia Route 9 near Hillsboro, and then west via Route 9 into West Virginia.

I suggested that rather than route traffic on that 22 mile detour, the DOH erect, with permission from the state of Maryland, a temporary bridge (called a "Bailey" bridge) from Sandy Hook, MD, to Harpers Ferry. When I posted this idea yesterday, I was thrilled at the number of responses. Some favored the idea and some opposed it.

However, the DOH said in our meeting this morning that the National Park Service had nixed the idea. So the idea of a temporary bridge is off the table.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Dealt with that crap on I77 northbound between Bluefield and Princeton a couple years ago. One lane part time, both lanes closed some times. Better off to drive an hour out of your way east or west than sit in traffic for hours waiting for things to get moving. The marked detour route was a mess as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top