Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2021 4:08:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m fighting with PSA over it now.  Im not finding any dealers online that have fixed this.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had 2 orders for reloading components with Midway in the last month that they charged me tax on. Emailed them both times and they have credited the tax back to my card. Wish they would get their billing software updated.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
All of my transfer buyers are still paying it.  Save your receipts because I think there's a way to deduct sales tax overpayments from your income tax return.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I was told it is already set up in the point of sale system by a vendor when I questioned it and they have no way of removing it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Reloading components are not eligible for no tax only guns and loaded ammo.
View Quote

Shhhhhh. Don't tell Cabela's. They haven't been charging tax on reloading components in their retail store in Charleston. And Midway didn't argue about refunding the tax. My LGS hasn't been taxing reloading components either.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Recoil Gunworks did not charge me tax on a firearm purchase last week. PSA did this summer. I'll submit that receipt to my tax accountant and see what he can do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Recoil Gunworks did not charge me tax on a firearm purchase last week. PSA did this summer. I'll submit that receipt to my tax accountant and see what he can do.
View Quote

Recoil Gunworks probably doesn't do enough business with customers in WV ($100,000/year) where collecting and remitting the tax would be required.  PSA likely does.

Ammunition components are also included in the exemption, but reloading equipment is not.
https://tax.wv.gov/Documents/TSD/tsd444.pdf
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the WV state taxpayer services you can file a CST-240 form to get a refund.  You can put multiple receipts/transactions on one form and it looks like you have three years to file it from when you were incorrectly charged sales tax.

https://tax.wv.gov/Documents/TaxForms/cst240.pdf

https://tax.wv.gov/Documents/TaxForms/cst240.instructions.pdf
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Reloading components are not eligible for no tax only guns and loaded ammo.
View Quote

Actually relaoding components are are exempt

https://tax.wv.gov/Documents/TSD/tsd444.pdf

Sorry, I missed that Bubbles had already posted this.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
EuroOptic also doesn’t charge tax on firearms for WV residents
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
So are firearm parts exempt too? Bcg's, magazines, barrels, slings, sights, triggers, etc. ???
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So are firearm parts exempt too? Bcg's, magazines, barrels, slings, sights, triggers, etc. ???
View Quote

Not according to this section from the above link. Indicates what is taxed

Firearm parts or assembly kits that do not include a barrel. For example, the frame or receiver –
that part of a firearm which provides the housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock and firing
mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

The way that I read that, a stripped AR lower would be subjected to tax even though it's registered on a 4473. Gotta love .gov grey areas
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep checking your receipts.  Most of my transfer customers are still getting hit with sales tax.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keep checking your receipts.  Most of my transfer customers are still getting hit with sales tax.
View Quote

Midway appears to have their software fixed. Last couple of orders I've only been charged tax on parts, not on reloading components and loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]
The tax office said unless the seller is in WV you have to pay their states sales tax.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
As an FYI the last few transfers I've done that were from Gunbroker sales did not have the sales tax on the invoice.  So, maybe they've fixed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top