Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2021 5:01:11 PM EDT
Anyone have it yet?  If so, where are you?  Trying to see how far out it's going to be for me (~20 miles north of Beckley).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been on the preorder list for a few months.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
are you guys up north or where?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy has it in Hedgesville(eastern PH).  

He says it’s pretty good. A little rough on zoom calls but for streaming Tab and d/l it’s working great.

200mbs has been his top speed. 100-120 most of the time.

Better then hughes net crap he had.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I am really looking forward to it.  My wife's job requires VPN and I'm on zoom all day.  hughesnet works for basic stuff but not zoom or VPN :(
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Been on the pre order since the beginning of February. Still nothing yet. Randolph County.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, I'll bite wtf is starlink?  Never heard of it...
View Quote

High speed internet provided by satellites. I can't wait for it, suddenlink is the only option where I live and they know it so during covid they increased my bill to $140 a month for only internet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Been on preorder since they opened the pre orders up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm using Hughesnet and it's $170 a month with VOIP phone (which actually works pretty well).  I also have DirectTV for another $90 a month.

Hoping for the $100/month I can get rid of both once Starlink is available.  I'm getting pretty impatient though!
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm using Hughesnet and it's $170 a month with VOIP phone (which actually works pretty well).  I also have DirectTV for another $90 a month.

Hoping for the $100/month I can get rid of both once Starlink is available.  I'm getting pretty impatient though!
View Quote

I’ll drop Suddenlink like a hot rock at the first opportunity.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
After reading this thread, I feel grateful to have Comcast up here in North Central WV.
Expensive, but rock solid reliable & blazing fast.
I've taken it for granted for too long.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone get any good news on this recently?  We are now at "mid-2021"
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Still using Hughsnet while I wait in Braxton Co.

ETA:  Sub'd

FWIW, I have 500mb down and 100 up on cable at home.  While tests rarely hit those numbers, it's still very fast and very reliable.  I don't expect starlink to match that performance any time soon, I just want video conference calls and RDP sessions to work so I can Work From "Home" away from home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Checking in, same question as 3 weeks ago....
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#17]
anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Assuming nobody else has heard anything yet...
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I was just going to ask againanyone?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks - no changes to mine, still says:  Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021.

Looks like we are running out of time
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]
just saw this:  https://observer.com/2021/11/spacex-launch-starlink-updated-satellites-november/

SpaceX is set to launch a batch of 53 Starlink satellites equipped with new technology into orbit on Saturday from Florida's Cape Canaveral Space Force Station after a launch attempt on Friday morning was scrubbed due to weather.

The launch is targeting Saturday, November 13 at 7:19 a.m. EST (12:19 GMT). You can watch the event live on SpaceX's YouTube channel. Broadcast will begin about 15 minutes before liftoff.

maybe there is hope for something soon!

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Guessing others have received the same email and updated delivery of March 2022, if not, here's what I received yesterday:

"Thank you for being a supporter of Starlink! Over 14 million people have inquired about Starlink service in their area and today Starlink is available in over 20 countries (and counting).  

The Starlink team has been working hard to expand service and increase capacity while continuously improving quality of service. We will be able to accommodate more users per area as we increase the number of satellites in orbit.

Check delivery timelines in your account  
Silicon shortages over the last 6 months have slowed our expected production rate and impacted our ability to fulfill many Starlink orders this year. We apologize for the delay and are working hard across our engineering, supply chain, and production teams to improve and streamline our product and factory to increase our production rate.

You can check estimated delivery times by logging into your account page on Starlink.com. You will still receive an email from the Starlink team when your order is ready to ship, and you may cancel your order at any time for a full refund of your deposit.

Latest Starlink now in production
We recently released the latest version of Starlink which was designed for high volume manufacturing. The latest version of Starlink has comparable performance to the previous version and will begin to ship globally next year.

Expanding to more countries across the world
Since our October 2020 launch in the United States we have expanded our service to 20 additional countries: Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland, Portugal, Chile, Poland, Italy, Czech Republic, Mexico, Sweden, and Croatia. Pending regulatory approval, we are planning to launch in an additional 45+ new countries by the end of 2022.  

More satellites in orbit with newer technology
We recently completed our 31st Starlink launch with our latest generation of satellites that are equipped with inter-satellite laser links, which enable our satellites to transfer data between each other. Once fully deployed, inter-satellite laser links will make Starlink one of the fastest options available to transfer data around the world.

Thank you for your continued support!

The Starlink Team"
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I did not get that email, but logged in to see if anything changed.  I now have this message:

"Starlink expects to expand service in your area in April 2022."
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I am really getting my hopes up.  Probably only to be let down.  But Hughes Net is just awful.  We're too low on the wrong side of the mountain to get cellular signal.  Starlink is our only hope really.  If it doesn't work out, maybe by then the cellular options we have changed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I got the mid 2022 email as well. Bummer. I have to make due with fixed 4g.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#29]
4G would be a huge upgrade here over hughesnet.  I have to drive 2 miles or so to get on the side of a mountain facing Beckley to get 4G.  It's 100X better than the satellite in the house.

I really hope they can do better than April
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I owned one of the first BBS systems, and later one of the first ISPs in WV in the 90s. Once DSL came around, the big guys got the money to implement it and the little guys like me went out.  And you know what, many people still don’t have broadband of any kind.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]
anyone have any Starlink news?  My account still shows April 2022.  Located 20 miles or so north of Beckley

thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope I'm not getting excited for yet another long wait...  but I just paid up !

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  2 weeks !

Attachment Attached File

ETA: again

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice - where in OH?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nice - where in OH?
View Quote

NEO.  Stepfather was born in Hinton.  We've had the place in Braxton Co for 16 years.  

We have Hughsnet and will for another month or two.  I just setup starlink this past weekend.  Pretty straightforward installation.  They say 12 hours before it has a good reading of the available satellites, but I had 50-60mbps speeds in the first 5 minutes.  Latency is only about 25% of what Hughsnet is, but it's still a bit of lag.  Zoom and teams calls seem just fine though.  That's what I need.  Hughsnet was just about unusable.

I may have to take out a tree or two, but I'll wait until the leaves fill in to see if it's going to be an issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice!

mine still says April, 2022, which is really close
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#39]
If you need an ethernet connection, be advised, the Gen 2 starlink requires a proprietary adapter.  Mine is listed as shipping in 3-4 weeks.  Ordered it 2 weeks ago.  The built in wifi router seems to have decent range.  I have lost connection momentarily a few times.  Seconds at a time and I do have trees almost directly overhead.  Even so, I'll be ditching Hughsnet as soon as I get my adapter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Once I can drop Suddenlink I'll reach for the phone so fast that I might sprain my wrist.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got my notice to purchase the kit!  Did it this morning, not sure how long to ship it, but I cannot wait!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just got my notice to purchase the kit!  Did it this morning, not sure how long to ship it, but I cannot wait!
View Quote

Mine took maybe 2 weeks.  FYI, if you need a hard line AKA ethernet, and you order the adapter today, you won't get it for about a month or so.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I ordered a pole to put it on and the eth. Adapter at the same time
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally got my network adapter.  Plug n play.  Everything is working.  

I think it's about time to cancel Hughsnet.  I'll "work from home" here a couple more days just for the peace of mind.  

I'm  now in the market for a modular UPS type setup.  Battery bank, solar, charger/inverter.  Ideally, run the cameras and router for a couple of days.  Maybe build it up over time.  Be another option for when I'm here and the power goes out too.  I won't have to fire up the generator right away.  Anyone ever price gas/propane lamps?  Wow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I got my Starlink basic kit last week (75ft cable, dish, router), but still waiting for my 150ft cable and ethernet adapter.

I am on a mountainside, and north is the direction of the mountain, so I am going to have some obstruction no matter what.  I made maybe 4-6 moves around in the yard, but did not have a tall pole mount to get it up as high as possible.  Speeds varied from low 20's to over 200Mbps down and from 3-15Mbps up, but the latency was MUCH better vs. Hughesnet.  I could connect and keep a Cisco AnyConnect VPN connection, same for protonVPN.  I could stream HD video from Amazon and Hulu to my Roku TV, make wifi calls over my cell phone, NONE of which I could do with Hughesnet.

I still need to do a more scientific study of location and times of obstruction as it appeared that every day around 3-4PM, I started getting obstruction notifications (every 6 minutes, then every 5, then down to every 1), yet everything continued to operate pretty normally.

All in all, I believe once I get the dish location dialed in, this is going to be 1000X better than Hughesnet!
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's a few pics of my setup.  It's about the best I can do without putting up a tall pole on the south side of the house.  While it tells me to expect issues, every 2 minutes, my VPN and RDP sessions are well within my acceptable levels.  Teams and zoom calls do buffer from time to time, but only.for a second or two and not much if any worse than my cable connection at home.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#47]
53 more going up today.

Space X Launch

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally got mine hooked up and working!  Wow.  10000x better than hughesnet.  Will post some stats once I accumulate more.  If Starlink is an option for you, do it.

Performance testing...pretty typical/average
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Semi-update.  I climbed and topped a few trees.  She had a much better view of the sky now.  Doesn't seem to be much better, but I also had to unplug it for a little while I hooked up a battery backup system.  I know it takes it a little time to settle in after reboots/downtime.  

Streaming seems fine with very little buffering.  

Zoom/Teams calls pause every 10-15 minutes for 3-5 seconds which is annoying but workable.

RDP sessions freeze up, disconnect and reconnect regularly.  While frustrating, it too is workable.  

Overall much better than Hughsnet, no doubt.  Maybe it will get more stable in time.

ETA:  if using an inverter, be sure you find one with a 120v output.  The one I had supplies a steady 110v and it only works for 24-36 hours before it goes to power fault mode.  Not the router, the inverter.  Found an inverter that outputs 120v, so far so good.

ETA again.  Sorry, I hate needless bumps.   I climbed and topped two trees in the way.  I have one more to do, but haven't seen any improvement.  Still the app says to expect interruptions ever minute.  Which I am seeing issues one in Teams and Zoom calls.  Everything else seems to buffer enough to keep up with the couple to 30 second interruptions.  
I did opt for an RV style inverter/charger and a battery bank for backup.  I'll add solar eventually.  So far so good.  Not my 500mb cable, not perfect, but Hughsnet is a few decades behind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I got the “Best effort” email, and ordered, will be here wednesday.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top