Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2016 4:10:24 PM EDT
I don't have many circles I can have a civil discussion in about this, so Arfcom seemed like a good place to ask.

Why do people from Kansas seem to think Brownback is a bad guy who has somehow demonstrated that conservative policies don't work? Seems to me like he's done a fine job, but could do more to cut taxes in a state that's among the most highly taxed states in the nation.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
His tax policies simply haven't worked.  Now, as a homeowner, I can only deduct 50% of my mortgage interest, property taxes, and personal property taxes.  He's been shorting the schools.  Hasn't been funding the states pension obligations.  He's set us up for failure. I feel sorry for the next few governors who are going to have to un-fuck what he's done.  His ideas have not created jobs, and in nearly every month, the state has come in well below their estimates of sales tax revenue.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the next governor will be a Democrat. What a bummer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
His tax policies simply haven't worked.  Now, as a homeowner, I can only deduct 50% of my mortgage interest, property taxes, and personal property taxes.  He's been shorting the schools.  Hasn't been funding the states pension obligations.  He's set us up for failure. I feel sorry for the next few governors who are going to have to un-fuck what he's done.  His ideas have not created jobs, and in nearly every month, the state has come in well below their estimates of sales tax revenue.
View Quote

In terms of "shorting the schools" there has been no negative effects of reduced school funding. I've searched and searched for some sort of outcomes that demonstrate that the funding cuts have hurt us, but so far there aren't any.

Regarding "creating jobs" it's kind of tough to do that when you have unemployment rates that are among the lowest in the nation.

Those are the two most commonly cited issues for sure, but they seem unfounded to me.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Brownback and his policies, he's pro gun and I pay less of state taxes. I'm not fan of public schools and I think the schools should cut wasteful spending. I dont think that state employees should be entitled to state funded pensions. There is a lot of opportunity to cut wasteful government spending, this is what Brownback should focus on.
My only regret that he can only do two consecutive terms.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like Brownback and his policies, he's pro gun and I pay less of state taxes. I'm not fan of public schools and I think the schools should cut wasteful spending. I dont think that state employees should be entitled to state funded pensions. There is a lot of opportunity to cut wasteful government spending, this is what Brownback should focus on.
My only regret that he can only do two consecutive terms.
View Quote

Yeah I would like to see KPERS changed or eliminated, and I'm in KPERS. To start with, I'd like to see teachers and pubic school employees have their own system.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If the schools really want to save money they should cut all Spanish language classes for elementary students. My kids took 6 years of that crap and didn't learn anything useful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a fan of Brownback but I did give him money and voted for him as the D was your typical tax and increase govt role in your life kind of guy. Remember KS Screwed up and elected the witch Sebelius who vetoed about every common sense law passed in the legislature including CCW. Fortunately her veto was overidden and guess what no blood in the streets! We now have Constitutional Carry and guess what, no blood in the streets!

Brownback made a big bet on oil in South Central KS, had that bet paid off he would have been a hero it didn't work out. He is pro gun, limited govt, and extremely opposed to abortion. He cut taxes and put public schools on notice that funding was changing. In my town all the school districts have modern buildings, artificial turf fields to play soccer and football, and lots of vans and Surburbans. I don't see money going to the teachers it just gets consumed by the administration.  I pay a lot in property taxes for the schools and it seems like they have plenty of money (K-12 is 52%+\- of the state budget) and higher Ed is another 25%. Leaves very little budget for the other services like troopers, wildlife, and social services.

Where he has messed up is raiding the Highway Dept, dedicated funds from fuel and registrations go to keep our roads good and he raids this fund almost monthly which is not gaining him any allies in KS!

Had the economy rebounded his plans would have been favorable, since we are stuck in a slow growth mod his tax cuts have dropped revenue and cutting spending hasn't happened fast enough.

In Kansas if you want a job you can have one. If your a FSA rat you probably don't want a job or can't pass a drug test. Nothing against the single mom balancing work and kids but jobs are plentiful for those who can show up, work hard, and stay off drugs!

My guess is AG Derek Schmidt is the next KS Governor, I think he is probably a better option than Sam.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
He gets negative press.

From the KC Red Star. They spin him as evil, also the Wichita Eagle. All leftist propaganda rags.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the schools really want to save money they should cut all Spanish language classes for elementary students. My kids took 6 years of that crap and didn't learn anything useful.
View Quote

Already done in Olathe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of what the press says about Brownback is at minimum a stretch.  As an educator, I know the truth about school funding.  The average kid in Kansas has just over $13,000 spent on him with our tax dollars.  That is over a quarter million for a classroom of 20.  That total money spent has always increased over the years.   The truth is, a lot of money is spent foolishly to meet government mandates and for staffing positions that are worthless (things like curriculum directors, assistant coaches, testing coordinators, etc.).  Nothing Brownback has done has affected me in the classroom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most of what the press says about Brownback is at minimum a stretch.  As an educator, I know the truth about school funding.  The average kid in Kansas has just over $13,000 spent on him with our tax dollars.  That is over a quarter million for a classroom of 20.  That total money spent has always increased over the years.   The truth is, a lot of money is spent foolishly to meet government mandates and for staffing positions that are worthless (things like curriculum directors, assistant coaches, testing coordinators, etc.).  Nothing Brownback has done has affected me in the classroom.
View Quote

You forget, the Kansas Supreme Court forced him to pay the schools what was owed, and took away his cuts.  Had his original funding cuts stuck, you'd have felt it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe the original cuts would have hurt, but as was stated above, most of the waste in schools has to do with administration, not the classroom. There's plenty of room for cuts that don't have to impact the teachers. Cuts or no cuts, I've not seen anything that demonstrates our students suffering academically.

Someone also mentioned roads...We have county roads that are wider and smoother than surrounding states US highways. I like nice things, but we don't need to resurface 2 lane, full shoulder county roads every 3 years. If we do, there's a real problem. Hell, I'm not sure we need to grade a dirt road every mile.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Brownback but I am not a libertard.

you want to see a bad gov look up Nancy Kassebaum

Now she is a dud.  

even Obama fired her
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like Brownback but I am not a libertard.

you want to see a bad gov look up Nancy Kassebaum

Now she is a dud.  

even Obama fired her
View Quote

I think you might be thinking of Kathleen Sebelius.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top