Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 8:21:50 PM EDT
I'm looking at a position that is based in Honolulu (Hawaiian Airlines)

From what i've researched, it's extremely expensive to live there. Can someone confirm?

Thanks

Will
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, It is expensive. Everything costs more and takes longer to get.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
pilot?

Are they hiring?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking at a position that is based in Honolulu (Hawaiian Airlines)

From what i've researched, it's extremely expensive to live there. Can someone confirm?

Thanks

Will
View Quote

Just look at real estate on Craigslist. That's what I do every day. I'm in the same boat, wanting to move to hawaii. Does your company offer some kind of offset for living there? I saw a postal job that had a "cost of living something or other".
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pilot?

Are they hiring?
View Quote

Engineer

Will
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck if you get the job.

I do not know if the guys I know at HA maintenance are still around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a reliability engineer position.

Being an A&P hopefully i'll get some shop time should I accept it

Will
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
It all depends on your lifestyle. Hawaiian is at the high end of the A&P pay scale in HI. I know several people who have done really well for themselves there. There are numerous part time positions with other companies if you are willing to use that to supplement your income.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#9]
$700,000 will get you a 4 bedroom house with a very small yard in most places around the island.  Something you could get on the mainland in most places for $200,000.  For affordable housing, a 2 bedroom townhouse starts at around $325,000 at most places.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It all depends on your lifestyle. Hawaiian is at the high end of the A&P pay scale in HI. I know several people who have done really well for themselves there. There are numerous part time positions with other companies if you are willing to use that to supplement your income.
View Quote

It's NOT an A&P job. Its an actual Engineering Position. The position REQUIRES an A&P License though. From what they said the salary range is, it would seem i would struggle to live base on what everything costs there.

Will
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's NOT an A&P job. Its an actual Engineering Position. The position REQUIRES an A&P License though. From what they said the salary range is, it would seem i would struggle to live base on what everything costs there.

Will
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will

I realized that from reading your initial post. My intent was to assure you that anything Hawaiian is paying is probably better than any other comparable positions here at HNL.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Hawaii is a great place to live if you have the realistic expectation that you will not get rich or have all of the stuff you would normally be able to buy, and may have to struggle at times.  Weather is great, low violent crime rate, don't have to worry about deadly snakes, outdoor activities year round, experience many cultures and food.  

High taxes, lower wages, high cost of living, lots of regulations, and bad gun laws.  You can also feel good that your salary will help support so many poor people here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure what the pay scale is, but $45,000 as a single would allow you to live comfortably.  $75,000 for a small family.  Comfortable as in purchasing your own home and just buying the basics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top