Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2022 9:16:39 PM EDT
My son is starting to visit colleges (he's entering senior year this fall) and the University of South Carolina is very high on his list.  (first or second choice, depending on the day)  We're planning a visit in late August but I was hoping to hear more about the school, and Columbia, from people in the know...  

Any thoughts on the school itself are most welcome.  Also, what's living in Columbia like?  (either on or off campus)  Relatively safe?  Any and all information would be most appreciated.

FWIW, he hasn't decided on a major yet but he seems to be gravitating toward the engineering field every time it's discussed.  We've already visited University of TN, and their affiliation with Oak Ridge Lab seemed to really interest him.  He's an all AP or honors student, incredibly strong in mathematics.  If there's anything else about his academics that would help, please just ask.

I really appreciate any information provided.  This is definitely causing me more stress than him.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
He would be better off at Clemson.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He would be better off at Clemson.
View Quote

This is the answer.

USC is a whole different vibe. It’s fairly safe right around campus, but Columbia has a ton of homeless or vagrant people. Plus, Five Points is within walking distance, and nothing good happens there.

There are plenty of rentals within walking/biking distance of campus.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
First things first, nobody in SC says U of SC, it's retarded and USC was around before that school in southern California.  Clemson is a better school for most things, but then I'm not impartial.  I did start a master's at USC but dropped out when I saw the writing on the wall and decided I didn't want to teach kids; should have transferred into public health or something but that seems like a lifetime ago.  USC is a good school for some programs, very good for some, and Columbia has it's good points but it can be a dangerous place if you don't have some situational awareness.  It consistently finds a place on most top fifty lists of dangerous US cities (along with North Charleston and a couple of other smaller cities).        

<--- Clemson grad  
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Clemson, as others have said.  Better engineering school, connected to manufacturers through their ICAR engineering masters program.  Only big problem there is traffic during home games
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to Erskine College, but I've lived in Columbia most of my life.  The actual campus of USC is pretty spread out around downtown.  Like any college area, there are lots of bars conveniently located.  The downtown area does have a large homeless population, but even worse is that since we are the capitol city, we have lots of politicians and lawyers.  Both are the lowest form of life that exists.  As far as safety goes; if he stays in the USC campus areas he will be fine.  Outside of that there are a lot of gang issues in Columbia right now.  

As far as the engineering program itself, I don't have any idea.  However I would compare the program at Georgia Tech as it has an exceptional reputation as an engineering school.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Major?

My son is there. Dual major CJ/Psych dual minor in philosophy and something else LOL.

Army ROTC and I just got him from CST/Advanced Camp.

He is a Dorm RA (Dorm Daddy) and on the 5 year plan to finish ROTC which he started late. He finished his degree requirements already and is taking filler classes this year.

The school is not insanely “woke” but it depends on the major. The dorms are college dorms that vary in quality from fancy places to typical dormitory format. My son has never complained.

The Gamecocks struggle every fall but that makes the wins more fun.

Columbia is an “okay” city around the college but gets sketchy in places.

It is hot as fuck in the summer months.

It isn’t a “pretty” campus being in the city and is spread out all over.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Clemson is the better Engineering university. Near the mountains and lakes. Less distractions than Columbia and more conservative.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
And downtown CAE is a shit hole.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all!  I’ll post up a question or two when I get home later but just wanted to say I really appreciate the responses!
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you all!  I’ll post up a question or two when I get home later but just wanted to say I really appreciate the responses!
View Quote

off topics, and I know that Clemson has a stronger engineering reputation, but has he looked at WVU? I'm a WV native and graduated from WVU. Spent a considerable amount of time in various engineering departments and around Morgantown in general. The town isn't too bad (or at least wasn't when I went there - 2005-2011). It was growing at an astounding rate and the engineering school was always fairly challenging. Outside of engineering, the university is pretty left though despite being in WV.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Overpriced, and they treat students like shit. Best thing I ever did was transfer out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]
The aerospace engineering undergrad at USC is new and not really established outside of some Boeing-related focus areas for the assembly plant in Charleston, SC.  Airframes, I believe.  My son, and all my money, went to University of Alabama in Hunstville for aerospace.  UAH treats its engineering students like shit, but at least there's more industry and prospects for employment in Huntsville vs. Columbia.

USC engineering had a reputation for treating engineering students like shit.  Apparently, USC cleaned up its act somewhat recently.  UAH has an interim president looking to improve undergrad instruction.  Some of what USC did to improve engineering undergrad programs is being considered at UAH, according to my son.  UAH, being a smaller school, needs to clean up its act because the post-Covid demographics are not in its favor.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
@babyrattle may ping in and provide his experience as a student.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I spent 1.5yrs at Clemson and joined the Army for OIF, and when I got sent to Ft Jackson for Drill Sergeant school and subsequent trail time I finished my BS at USC and then got an MBA after I got out.  Clemson on the whole was a much better campus although it’s huge now by comparison

I didn’t have the typical college experience at USC as I did Clemson because my life had drastically changed; but Clemson is far nicer and going downtown for drinks or picking up a companion is much safer as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
We read all your replies together and a Clemson visit is now happening!  Again, I sincerely appreciate all the feedback here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

off topics, and I know that Clemson has a stronger engineering reputation, but has he looked at WVU? I'm a WV native and graduated from WVU. Spent a considerable amount of time in various engineering departments and around Morgantown in general. The town isn't too bad (or at least wasn't when I went there - 2005-2011). It was growing at an astounding rate and the engineering school was always fairly challenging. Outside of engineering, the university is pretty left though despite being in WV.
View Quote

He does have a visit to Morgantown lined up with a friend of his.  I'm somewhat familiar with that party town...
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He does have a visit to Morgantown lined up with a friend of his.  I'm somewhat familiar with that party town...
View Quote

Seems like everyone's had a small stint in Morgantown at some point in their life.

FWIW - Our slogan in WVU engineering was always: WVU Engineering; Where your best hasn't been good enough since 1867.

I had some phenomenal engineering professors - some that I actually still keep in touch with there days - and I didn't even graduate with an engineering degree.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#18]
UofSC Student of 4 years here. Happy to answer any questions you have.
My experience has been incredible and I haven't regretted it once. UofSC is entirely self-sufficient and exceeds every expectation or desire one would want out of college.
I'd be happy to share my experiences but all in all it's up to the future student to state what he/she wants and I can explain what the university provides for them in those aspects.

I'll say this much regarding the other replies mentioning Clemson - every Clemson student I've met that has visited campus to see old friends has said that they had wished they went to UofSC instead. Clemson is popularized almost exclusively by its football program.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad you're happy but it's still USC and I went to both- I've never wished I went to USC instead of Clemson for my undergrad nor has anyone I know including others who've attended both schools.  Didn't care about football then or now and I was there when they fired Danny Ford.  I still have family and friends that work there in one capacity or another and I didn't mind my time there other than the parking and how spread out the campus was, but that was also pre-woke USC.

I actually carried my mountain bike in my truck so I could make it to classes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Glad you're happy but it's still USC and I went to both- I've never wished I went to USC instead of Clemson for my undergrad nor has anyone I know including others who've attended both schools.  Didn't care about football then or now and I was there when they fired Danny Ford.  I still have family and friends that work there in one capacity or another and I didn't mind my time there other than the parking and how spread out the campus was, but that was also pre-woke USC.

View Quote

Why do you think the classes and environment at USC is any more woke than Clemson?  USC scoffed off the nut jobs that wanted to force the school to hire a SJW type for president even though the woke crowd was pressuring the school.

Woke is a product of the instructors and curriculum.  SC doesn't have anything different in that regards than Clemson.  Both schools have students chanting Let's Go Brandon during football games.

I know you are horribly biased and drive an Orange truck but put that aside and help the OP out.  

Yes, my truck is Garnet.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I spoke with my son briefly and showed him this thread.  Some of the choice is campus environment.  Do you want a campus spot-welded to an urban core with a ton of generic 1960s-1980s architecture?  Or, do you want a campus environment that stands outside a downtown but not so rural the livestock look attractive?

As for engineering programs, dig into what classes that are required in the 2nd and 3rd years.  Spend time on https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ looking up profs and/or course numbers to see if mastery of material is encouraged or if the engineering school has put abusive researchers who can't teach a baby how to drool in undergrad lecture classrooms.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why do you think the classes and environment at USC is any more woke than Clemson?  USC scoffed off the nut jobs that wanted to force the school to hire a SJW type for president even though the woke crowd was pressuring the school.

Woke is a product of the instructors and curriculum.  SC doesn't have anything different in that regards than Clemson.  Both schools have students chanting Let's Go Brandon during football games.

I know you are horribly biased and drive an Orange truck but put that aside and help the OP out.  

Yes, my truck is Garnet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, my truck is Garnet.

I never said either was more woke than the other, I have no idea, but if I had to guess I'd bet they're pretty similar these days.  My statement was that I went to school before wokeness was a thing.  

I'm not horribly biased, I attended both and even in my first post stated that I thought both had good programs and that it depends on what you're going for and a distant second, whether you want a city environment or a smaller town.    

And I drive a black truck.    I drove a red Land Cruiser while I was at Clemson, nobody cared.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Clemson has more of a special, but yet inclusive feel to its campus, students, and alumni. It has strong "brand" recognition among many major companies. Small town feel, with big city (Greenville) only about 35 miles away, and Atlanta or Charlotte are only about 2 hours drive away. You can see the mountains in the distance on a clear day from some dorm rooms, and one can be in those mountains in about an hour. The great football and baseball programs are just a good bonus.
Clemson has a very good grad placement office to assist graduating seniors.

<--------- C U Bldg Science grad. (Now called CSM program)
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Is he going for engineering? Did he look at CMU?  My son did really well there and the campus is in the safest part of Pittsburgh.  And it's not as hot as SC.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I never said either was more woke than the other, I have no idea, but if I had to guess I'd bet they're pretty similar these days.  My statement was that I went to school before wokeness was a thing.  

I'm not horribly biased, I attended both and even in my first post stated that I thought both had good programs and that it depends on what you're going for and a distant second, whether you want a city environment or a smaller town.    

And I drive a black truck.    I drove a red Land Cruiser while I was at Clemson, nobody cared.
View Quote

I quoted the wrong person.  It was meant for D16man who does drive an orange Taco.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I quoted the wrong person.  It was meant for D16man who does drive an orange Taco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries.    I do have a simple, smallish "Clemson Alumni" decal on the back window.  

My dad used to joke that I got four years of school and he got four years of therapy; he's a USC grad and I was the first in the family to go to Clemson.  Funny thing is despite all of my friends and family that have gone to and/or worked at either school, none of us have ever cared about sports.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I worked there for 29 years.  Go to Clemson.  I’ve seen the sausage made.  It’s turned into nothing more than a diploma mill.  They keep spouting the largest ever freshmen class but have not expanded classrooms and have actually decreased dorms while pushing students to 3rd party housing. Another shit storm in itself of students getting taken advantage of.
The division I worked for is more concerned about numbers than the actual work getting done. No shit, has more employees counting and looking at the numbers of the work done than it has employees actually doing the work but yet they wonder why it’s taking so long to get the work done.  And then the worker in the field has to spend 1/3 of their day documenting everything into the software program they did that day so the “watchers” can see what was done.

Oh, and just wait until you get to deal with the “inner-city affirmative action hires” that fill the bursars office.  
Clemson: “Good morning Mr. ScottsGT, how may I assist you today?”
USC: “Whatchubwant today?”

As the previous USC President, Bob Caslen put it, there is a culture at USC he cannot figure out. Even better comments at the link.  Best way to describe it from a personal experience, everyone at the top is in it for themselves and their little kingdom and not the betterment of the University as a whole.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2021-10-03/former-univ-of-s-carolina-president-regrets-taking-job

FWIW, My oldest son went to USC/ROTC, Wife got her Masters at USC and is now a CRNA, her undergrad at Clemson and youngest daughter went to Clemson.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I will wade into this. I graduated from USC in 1982, BA in history & government. It was a different school back then. It may not be woke compared to some universities, but it is trending that way. My USC diploma opened the doors I needed open (USAF officer and federal civil service), but it honestly could have come from any number of other in state SC schools. I follow Gamecock football, but I have no other active connections to the school. I think it has grown too big and no longer caters to the needs of the individual student.

As far as the engineering programs, a good friend of my family went through the electrical engineering program at USC. He told me the instruction was OK, but there was a lot of blatant race discrimination going on. Not in your face stuff, but more like white/asian students being held to a higher standard for a given grade. He also served as a grad assistant and was directly ordered by his professor to grade on two different scales, depending on race. That stuff may not bother you, but there it is.

It should tell you something that I sent my son to Winthrop and my daughter to Lander. As far as all the Clemson love, take it with a grain of salt. It is mostly coming from Clemson grads. If you are not from SC, you cannot begin to understand the hatred between the two schools.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#30]
If he wants to attend a good engineering program have him consider NC State, Clemson has always been overrated as an Engineering school and today is swamped with social justice degrees just like USC. I think Clemson lost their way when they turned themselves into a Football first academy, and unfortunately most folks these days think a quality education is synonymous with conference titles. I say this as a USC grad with tons of great friends from HS that graduated from Clemson.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I worked 2 years in Raleigh on a week on, week off, rotation that was to encourage me to move to Raleigh.  2008-2010.

NC State was woke-ish then because of UNC Fagheels and WookDooke (Dyke, Dooke, Fuck Duke) nearby.  I can't trust NC State as far as I could throw it.  

I declined the relo.  My career ended up the better for it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is a ranking of US engineering schools in the US.

USC is ranked 102 out of 214.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings/21775470034_control
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I am a Clemson Alumni and majored in mechanical engineering. My oldest daughter went to USC.  
Clemson is a land grant university like Purdue, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M,....and the list goes on.  
Clemson is known for its engineering, architecture, and agriculture programs.  

Both schools are fine.  Plenty of fun within walking distance of each campus. Just ask if you want a small town experience or a larger city experience.

**Clemson is located by a big lake which makes for lots of fun in August, September, and October. One of my roommates owned a ski boat that was docked near campus - fun times
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If he wants to attend a good engineering program have him consider NC State, Clemson has always been overrated as an Engineering school and today is swamped with social justice degrees just like USC. I think Clemson lost their way when they turned themselves into a Football first academy, and unfortunately most folks these days think a quality education is synonymous with conference titles. I say this as a USC grad with tons of great friends from HS that graduated from Clemson.
View Quote

NC State is a great school. I have lots of friends who are NC State engineering grads.  If you want a big city experience, Raleigh is a nice place.

One thing that Clemson's success in football has done is to raise the bar for entry within all of the colleges of the university.  Heck I probably couldn't even get into the engineering school today with the SAT score I had in 1981

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m from Columbia and my wife and I both went to USC. We have season tickets for football and hit a few baseball and basketball games per year as well. Columbia is a great town and USC is a great school. The key is to get involved in some way. Whether it’s intramurals, Greek life, clubs, etc. USC is a big school in a decent sized metro area, so there’s plenty of opportunities for fun and socialization, but you have to seek it out. If you just sit in the dorm and don’t get involved in anything it will suck.

Clemson is a totally different type of vibe; just depends on what your kid is looking to get from the college experience. I always hated visiting friends at Clemson because it was just so boring. Seemed like everyone just hung out in their dorms/apartments all weekend and tailgated with their parents.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry I haven't replied in a bit but thank you for the more recent replies!  Our trip is all booked for end of the month.  Going to USC on a Monday and Clemson on Wednesday.  Going to roll into Columbia on Sunday afternoon, staying at the Courtyard on Assembly St.  Any suggestions for dinner for the two of us?  (we're easy - any kind of meat but not seafood fans)

If I could also ask a different but important question:  SC doesn't have reciprocity with PA/won't honor my CCW.  Is there any legal means for a non-resident to have a loaded handgun in the vehicle (like the center console) without a carry permit?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Loaded handgun is legal in a closed compartment, i.e. glove box or center console.  Do not leave any firearms in your vehicle unattended or at least in a lockbox- tons of vehicle break-ins looking for firearms.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Loaded handgun is legal in a closed compartment, i.e. glove box or center console.  Do not leave any firearms in your vehicle unattended or at least in a lockbox- tons of vehicle break-ins looking for firearms.
View Quote

Thank you!  I did read that law but I wasn't sure if it covered non-residents.  I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry I haven't replied in a bit but thank you for the more recent replies!  Our trip is all booked for end of the month.  Going to USC on a Monday and Clemson on Wednesday.  Going to roll into Columbia on Sunday afternoon, staying at the Courtyard on Assembly St.  Any suggestions for dinner for the two of us?  (we're easy - any kind of meat but not seafood fans)

If I could also ask a different but important question:  SC doesn't have reciprocity with PA/won't honor my CCW.  Is there any legal means for a non-resident to have a loaded handgun in the vehicle (like the center console) without a carry permit?
View Quote

Looks like the gun question has been covered. Courtyard on Assembly is a decent location. Used to be a Holiday Inn when I was in school and went to a few functions in the banquet hall but haven’t been inside in years.

Dining options:
Thirsty Fellow is walkable from the courtyard and next to the basketball arena. It has good food and atmosphere.
Palmetto Pig BBQ buffet is across the railroad tracks and a block down from Thirsty Fellow. It’s very good. The fried chicken is fantastic.
The Kingsman is just across the Blossom Street bridge in Cayce and is a great option if you want a fairly inexpensive steak. It’s been there forever. They also have great burgers.
D’s Wings is next to The Kingsman and is also a Columbia institution.
Immaculate Consumption if you need a morning coffee is across the street from the State House.
The Blue Marlin in the Vista is a great option if you want seafood.
Hall’s Chophouse if you want a true steak house experience but $$$ and you’ll want to make a reservation.
Groucho’s Deli in 5 Points for a true USC institution. Get the STP with 45 sauce and a sweet tea.
The Gourmet Shop in 5 Points is also a great lunch/brunch spot
Lizard’s Thicket if you want a southern meat and three type meal

There’s plenty of other newer, trendier places than those listed, but the ones in my list have been around for years and stood the test of time. Well, Hall’s is fairly new but it really is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#40]
In SC you can carry a gun between your vehicle and your motel room.

“SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.

Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.”

That’s a good dining list. I would add Lizards Thicket for a meat and 3, or especially for breakfast.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Looks like the gun question has been covered. Courtyard on Assembly is a decent location. Used to be a Holiday Inn when I was in school and went to a few functions in the banquet hall but haven’t been inside in years.

Dining options:
Thirsty Fellow is walkable from the courtyard and next to the basketball arena. It has good food and atmosphere.
Palmetto Pig BBQ buffet is across the railroad tracks and a block down from Thirsty Fellow. It’s very good. The fried chicken is fantastic.
The Kingsman is just across the Blossom Street bridge in Cayce and is a great option if you want a fairly inexpensive steak. It’s been there forever. They also have great burgers.
Immaculate Consumption if you need a morning coffee is across the street from the State House.
Hall’s Chophouse if you want a true steak house experience but $$$ and you’ll want to make a reservation.
Groucho’s Deli in 5 Points for a true USC institution. Get the STP with 45 sauce and a sweet tea.

There’s plenty of other newer, trendier places than those listed, but the ones in my list have been around for years and stood the test of time. Well, Hall’s is fairly new but it really is excellent.
View Quote

Thank you, this is perfect.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you, this is perfect.
View Quote

I should also add Home Team BBQ in 5 Points. Great atmosphere and really good food as well. It started in Charleston and has been expanding through the state. The smoked wings with alabama white sauce are excellent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Swamp Rat, Steel Hands, Columbia Craft, Hunter Gatherer, and Swamp Cabbage are all good breweries worthy of a stop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Swamp Rat, Steel Hands, Columbia Craft, Hunter Gatherer, and Swamp Cabbage are all good breweries worthy of a stop.
View Quote

Sadly the owner of Hunter Gatherer is a complete douchebag antigunner, they do have good food and beer though.  Don't know about the others, I guess they've been smart enough not to get their face in front of the cameras whenever the issue comes up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dining options:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dining options:

D's Wings MOVED. It's now over by Meeting st and State street/ behind State Street Pub.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Just wanted to drop another thank you in here for all the information.  We had a great week in SC, really enjoyed it.  

USC - with school being back in session, my son definitely got caught up in the active vibe there.  LOTS of students everywhere, it was fun.  We hit up the Thirsty Fellow, it was great.  Only saw one zombie but it led to a good talk about city life...  

Clemson - he said this was his favorite school so far.  He really likes the way their first year Engineering program is a "general engineering" experience, before declaring a specific major.  Loved the campus, I think he was more comfortable there than the downtown scene.  We hit up The Esso Club (great) and walked downtown a bit to buy a sweatshirt.  Also went to Eggs Up Grill by our hotel, which was great.

When we left Clemson, we headed to TN and drove up 76 (I believe) through Westminster, Sumter National Forest, passed the Chatooga River and on through GA and so on.  I wish the whole trip was like that drive...  

The people everywhere were great, I can see why so many people love South Carolina.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sadly the owner of Hunter Gatherer is a complete douchebag antigunner, they do have good food and beer though.  Don't know about the others, I guess they've been smart enough not to get their face in front of the cameras whenever the issue comes up.
View Quote

I saw on the news that the liberal running for governor had an event at Hunter Gatherer.  Having recently been to Steel Hands, I may just skip over HG in the future.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Does the Esso club still have the barber chair?  I'm guessing you didn't do chair shots.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just wanted to drop another thank you in here for all the information.  We had a great week in SC, really enjoyed it.  

USC - with school being back in session, my son definitely got caught up in the active vibe there.  LOTS of students everywhere, it was fun.  We hit up the Thirsty Fellow, it was great.  Only saw one zombie but it led to a good talk about city life...  

Clemson - he said this was his favorite school so far.  He really likes the way their first year Engineering program is a "general engineering" experience, before declaring a specific major.  Loved the campus, I think he was more comfortable there than the downtown scene.  We hit up The Esso Club (great) and walked downtown a bit to buy a sweatshirt.  Also went to Eggs Up Grill by our hotel, which was great.

When we left Clemson, we headed to TN and drove up 76 (I believe) through Westminster, Sumter National Forest, passed the Chatooga River and on through GA and so on.  I wish the whole trip was like that drive...  

The people everywhere were great, I can see why so many people love South Carolina.
View Quote

I am biased of course, but Clemson would be an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#50]
My son is in his second year at Clemson, majoring in Engineering. If you have any questions related to that, I’m sure he would be happy to share his thoughts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top