Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2022 2:57:54 PM EDT
I am going to be in Sumter next week. What place is good to eat at near the Main Fire Station and Police HQ?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are willing to risk it, you can walk to BK, McD, Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's, or maybe grab a to go plate at Piggly Wiggly.

I have no idea what else may be in downtown. I have yet to risk it!! LOL

As far as "good" to eat, I am sure Ponti will point you to the many flavors of the mighty Scumter
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pontificator will likely suggest someplace in Columbia
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Y’all just stop.

Sumter Original Brewery has food.

Side Bar
Hampton’s
J O’Grady’s

all on main and good to go.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y’all just stop.

Sumter Original Brewery has food.

Side Bar
Hampton’s
J O’Grady’s

all on main and good to go.
View Quote

All places I have never been.

Since I don’t drink and some appear to be bars, that may be the reason.

If OP is in town on actual business, he may not go there either.
But, then again… different strokes/folks
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All places I have never been.

Since I don’t drink and some appear to be bars, that may be the reason.

If OP is in town on actual business, he may not go there either.
But, then again… different strokes/folks
View Quote

Everywhere has booze, you just don't drink if you are on the job.  

They all have great food and other than the Brewery, none are "just bars".  Chili's is a bar as much as those places.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
supposed to be a good bbq place near the base. not sure how close that is to where you will be.  not been that way yet,
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am going to be in Sumter next week. What place is good to eat at near the Main Fire Station and Police HQ?
View Quote

The answer depends on when during the week you are going to be in the downtown Sumter area and what time of day.

Lunch during a weekday? You're mostly fooked. Dinner from around 5pm onward Wed-Saturday? You have options.

The "Foodie" places downtown...

Sidebar
Sumter Original Brewery
J. O'Grady's
Hampton's ($$$$)

Are not open for lunch
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
supposed to be a good bbq place near the base. not sure how close that is to where you will be.  not been that way yet,
View Quote

I am not familiar with any BBQ place near Shaw AFB let along a good one. Shaw AFB is quite a distance from where OP is going to be. Like 12+ miles.

ETA: there used to be a BBQ place next to the Dalzell Grocery on 521 North which is East of Shaw AFB but it's been closed for several years now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
J. O'Grady's does lunch 11:30 till 2:30 M-F
Side Bar 11-2 Tues- Sat
And there's also Sumter Cut Rate...... often overlooked, old school drug store that serves breakfast and lunch.
The rest of the offerings close by are sub par fast food.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the laughs as well as the information.

I will be there Monday and Tuesday.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Sidebar (11 - 2) is probably your best bet. The dry rubbed wings are my go to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
There's also Jin-Jin, a hole-in-the-wall Chinese place that's actually pretty good and the prices are still reasonable. I like their pork lo mein. Don't forget to tip the lazy ass cashier chick who sits on her ass and does little or nothing to earn one. LOL

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to like the chicken salad at Cut Rate.  It's been a couple of years, though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
So where did the OP have lunch today?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's also Jin-Jin, a hole-in-the-wall Chinese place that's actually pretty good and the prices are still reasonable. I like their pork lo mein. Don't forget to tip the lazy ass cashier chick who sits on her ass and does little or nothing to earn one. LOL

View Quote

I've yet to try Jin Jin but the word of mouth reviews I've come across about them is funny. I've heard many people say it's good and many people say it's the worst lol. Such a funny contrast of opinions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leo's wings? We were at the training facility, not the station. The whole group of us went.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Leo's wings? We were at the training facility, not the station. The whole group of us went.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't remember where you had lunch?

Are you hiring?

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing you were at the firefighters training facility located off McCrays Mill Rd. That is a VERY bad part of town. There was a drive-by multiple victim shooting in the immediate vicinity just a few days ago (perp arrested).

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Great! I'll put my body armor on today.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Took the wrong turn today and the Sumter guys asked if I scored some drugs after they spotted me leaving the area.

Lunch was at Georgio's. I followed the heard. It wasn't bad.

I did pass Simpson's Hardware on my way home.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will have to try them on my own.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Took the wrong turn today and the Sumter guys asked if I scored some drugs after they spotted me leaving the area.

Lunch was at Georgio's. I followed the heard. It wasn't bad.

I did pass Simpson's Hardware on my way home.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will have to try them on my own.
View Quote

FYI the Simpson Hardware located in front of the shopping center where Georgio's is located is a small "satellite store". They don't sell any gun stuff there. Firearms/ammo are only sold at the big store on Wesmark Blvd. or at the Manning location.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I drove by the big one on my way out of town. I didn't notice it the day before. A lack of sleep and a long class really didn't make me observant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top