Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2022 8:59:15 PM EDT
Currently living in NY. My girlfriend grew up near Myrtle Beach. She's been wanting to go back for years.

NY governor just passed a bunch of bogus bills this week, like requiring a license to own  a semi auto rifle, microstamping pistols, no civilian ownership of body armor.

Decided this is my final stand, we are looking at homes now. She likes Aynor, it's near a ranch where she has a friend she can ride horses with, and the schools are pretty good there. Her most important thing is schools, her son is special needs.

I've been to South Carolina once, how's that area? How's work as well? I run a martial arts school in NY, my skills involve teaching martial arts and shooting guns, but I don't know what jobs would be available for that skill set. I figure I'm pretty much starting over from scratch. Anyone have any recommendations for good paying work I'm all ears. It's not easy to just walk away from what I've spent 16 years building, but I can't bring all my students with me, and this is my final straw for NY. Fuck this place.

I'll see you south Caroliners in a few months, don't worry I don't vote liberal
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Manufacturing is popping up all over SC.  Volvo makes cars in Summerville, BMW the upstate.  F16s are still made, in SC in Spartanburg.  Continental Tire has a huge plant in Sumter.  

My point, we are making shit down here, branch out and look for a manufacturing job.  

We also have a government that reads the Constitution.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a heads up, good paying in NY and good paying in SC (especially rural SC, which is Aynor) are worlds apart. Median HOUSEHOLD income in Horry County (Aynor is in western Horry county) is $51,500 as of 2020, Median Household income in Marion county (the Aynor/Galivants  Ferry communities border Marion county on the Horry county side of the line) is close to $30k.

That being said, I’ve lived in rural Horry county for 36 of my 42 years, it’s where Dad grew up, and his family goes back generations here, it’s home to me and I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

PSA Is opening up a retail store and range on highway 17 in Myrtle Beach. Not sure what they will need employee wise. PTR manufactures right outside of Aynor (Cool Springs community). There are a few DoJos (not sure of the proper grammatical way of saying that lol) in Conway (town east of Aynor on the way to the beach)
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Aynor is ok, if you like rural living. It’s close enough to Conway to be convenient, and far enough away from MB to avoid a lot of the trash.

If you plan to run a martial arts school, you might need to go further east to get enough volume.

If you are from NY, bring an interpreter. UCLA (Upper Conway Lower Aynor) has a pretty unique dialect.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Currently living in NY. My girlfriend grew up near Myrtle Beach. She's been wanting to go back for years.

NY governor just passed a bunch of bogus bills this week, like requiring a license to own  a semi auto rifle, microstamping pistols, no civilian ownership of body armor.

Decided this is my final stand, we are looking at homes now. She likes Aynor, it's near a ranch where she has a friend she can ride horses with, and the schools are pretty good there. Her most important thing is schools, her son is special needs.

I've been to South Carolina once, how's that area? How's work as well? I run a martial arts school in NY, my skills involve teaching martial arts and shooting guns, but I don't know what jobs would be available for that skill set. I figure I'm pretty much starting over from scratch. Anyone have any recommendations for good paying work I'm all ears. It's not easy to just walk away from what I've spent 16 years building, but I can't bring all my students with me, and this is my final straw for NY. Fuck this place.

View Quote

We have guys at my shop that travel from MB/Conway to Georgetown daily. We're expanding into a new building soon. Shoot me a DM, i'll give you my email.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can pick up your green card at any PSA retail store....
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

What's a green card?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I am from NY and live in the UCLA. They aren't that hard to understand. Gunters Island is a different story. Housing in Aynor, UCLA is popping up all over. Prices are going up. If you can become a cop, HCPD and Myrtle Beach PD are getting good raises. They are both short and need some bodies.

Buy a place with lots of land. I need a new shooting range.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's a green card?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a green card?

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card

Allows you to live and work permanently in the real United States.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
PTR is in Aynor.  Not sure what keeps that community going though.  Pass through it all the time on the way to NMB.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am from NY and live in the UCLA. They aren't that hard to understand. Gunters Island is a different story. Housing in Aynor, UCLA is popping up all over. Prices are going up. If you can become a cop, HCPD and Myrtle Beach PD are getting good raises. They are both short and need some bodies.

Buy a place with lots of land. I need a new shooting range.
View Quote

Actually my girlfriend has a friend who was talking about buying land for a private family range, she's trying to convince him to do it publicly and let us start it with him as a business. I don't know what it would take to open a public range to earn a living off of but it sounds awesome
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
What is your definition of 'hot'?

Your definition is about to be expanded.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aw man, it's only bad for like August.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aw man, it's only bad for like August.
View Quote

You forgot July and September and October where some Halloweens it’s too hot for kids to wear a mask or costume.  November is when I start coming out of the basement.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah my girl and I go back and forth on that constantly. She grew up spending her whole summer in SC working outside on a horse ranch somewhere in the Aynor/Conway area. She wears a hoodie if it gets to 70 degrees or less.

I go camping in the winter and have slept outside in 20 degree weather. Anything north of 80 and I sweat non stop. It will definitely be an adjustment. But hey, I'd rather deal with heat than NY gun laws and cost. Together we are earning north of 6 figures here and still can't afford to buy a home. I'm having difficulty saving money and with rising food/gas prices it's just insane. I shouldn't feel like I'm just scraping by in life, especially considering what I make and being nearly 40 years old. I also refuse to get a license for a featureless AR-15 with a 10 round mag.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hot? hell no, warm maybe...

I was born outside Buffalo NY, lived most of my adult life in Scottsdale AZ, L.A. (Commiefornia), and all over Fla. I met my wife in 93 while visiting WNY  and lived in Niagara cnty until 2016 when we moved to upstate SC... the Humidity in WNY is alot wetter than it is here, don't get me wrong... it is thick and hard to breathe at times but not sticky like NY. then again I hate Air conditioning and spend alot of time outside...So I am acclimated!  I even wait till late afternoon to cut my lawn......

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I lived in Upstate NY and the heat/humidity was expressive. I remember doing PT in the police academy at midnight and the temperature was still 102 and humid as !@#$. However, it only lasted for 2 months. When I moved to SC, I sweat as soon as I walked out the door. 4 years later and I was not. I would hear local borns complaining in the summer. That's when I knew I acclimated. I remember going back to NY in November '18 and froze my ass off. It did snow though. So don't worry about the weather. You will get used to it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep familys been here over 11 generations. Pm me if you want to know more. I have a personal 400yrd range with access to over 1000
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Sent you a pm
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#20]
There’s a great gun shop in Aynor as well called Papa Foxtrot.  Well worth stopping by if anyone is passing through.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There’s a great gun shop in Aynor as well called Papa Foxtrot.  Well worth stopping by if anyone is passing through.
View Quote

Echo 6 is right around the corner. I prefer PF though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top