Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2022 11:18:20 AM EDT
Is open carry allowed in the National Forrest? I want to do some hiking/larping around the Francis Marion National Forrest. Am I allowed to open carry my firearm? I got my cwp last year. I just want to make sure I don't get into trouble. I don't plan on shooting anything unless I'm defending myself. I just want to have it with me to get use to carrying things long distances.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not cut-and-dried legal advice. I am not a lawyer. I have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. This information is outdated as it still shows open carry as being illegal in SC.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/other-federal-locations/#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20if%20a%20state,National%20Park%20in%20that%20state.&text=National%20Forest%20lands%20do%20not%20ban%20firearms
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Hunting and fishing are allowed on national forest land.  All hunting and fishing in South Carolina is regulated by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR).  If you hunt on National Forest land, you must obey ALL SCDNR regulations regarding licensing, tags, limits, seasons, and any other regulations.  For more information on these regulations, visit www.dnr.sc.gov.  For hunting purposes, all national forest land in South Carolina is considered part of the Wildlife Management Area (WMA) program.  Therefore, you will need to follow all WMA rules and regulations.  The SCDNR will have all the information you need.

On our end of things, make sure that you follow all Forest Service regulations while you are on national forest land.  Obey parking signs and private land boundaries, don’t block gates, no motorized vehicles anywhere other than on roads, etc.

If you would like information about areas to hunt and camp on national forest land, visit the hunting link on our website at

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/scnfs/home/?cid=fseprd746383&width=full#HUNTING%20AND%20TARGET%20SHOOTING

My suggestion is that you contact the SCDNR and if the answer is "yes" get documentation that it is legal. "I think so", "It probably is" and other such answers don't mean shit when you're in handcuffs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Crazy how difficult its been just trying to find land to some land to mess around on. I've been trying to find people to shoot with for years. Frustrating as hell if people have spots they won't talk about it. I've tried Facebook groups and even putting ads in the classifieds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there's a reason why people with ranges on their own property do not care to invite strangers/outsiders but I can't seem to put my finger on the reason as to why oh, wait.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
According to this, federal forests follow state law. In summary you can carry concealed or open if you have a CPW.  Forests are not on the state forbidden to carry zones.

Buildings, offices etc are considered government buildings and carry is not allowed there.

I have carried in Francis Marion forest before. The park office in Awendaw is posted that you can’t carry,

Here is a link for reference

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/other-federal-locations/
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
According to this, federal forests follow state law. In summary you can carry concealed or open if you have a CPW.  Forests are not on the state forbidden to carry zones.

Buildings, offices etc are considered government buildings and carry is not allowed there.

I have carried in Francis Marion forest before. The park office in Awendaw is posted that you can’t carry,

Here is a link for reference

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/other-federal-locations/
View Quote

Great information!! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think there's a reason why people with ranges on their own property do not care to invite strangers/outsiders but I can't seem to put my finger on the reason as to why oh, wait.
View Quote

Ya I get it man. I just thought it would be easier to find a group of guys who wanted to train. Even when I invite people to the outdoor ranges. Especially with all that is going on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm aware that carrying a handgun during hunting season used to be dependent on big game or small game regulations. In other words, 22 caliber during small game and center-fire during big game. So now a person with a CWP can open carry his sidearm that meets the CWP regulations anytime or just during any hunting season?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#9]
You can always go with this guy:

I'm kidding.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm aware that carrying a handgun during hunting season used to be dependent on big game or small game regulations. In other words, 22 caliber during small game and center-fire during big game. So now a person with a CWP can open carry his sidearm that meets the CWP regulations anytime or just during any hunting season?
View Quote

My understanding of the law is this:

Those without CWP can carry a handgun while hunting and fishing. I’m not aware of any restrictions on caliber related to small game or big game season. Here is a link to a lawyers website that has a summary of the rules,

https://www.lowcountrylawyerssc.com/gun-laws-in-south-carolina/

Those with a CWP can carry year round regardless of whether they are hunting or fishing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm aware that carrying a handgun during hunting season used to be dependent on big game or small game regulations. In other words, 22 caliber during small game and center-fire during big game.
View Quote

How long ago was this? I’ve only been hunting for 10 years but have never seen this regulation. Unless it’s on WMA lands, which I never really concerned myself with.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I meant to specify WMA or private land in the WMA program. Doesn't apply to private land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top