Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2022 12:20:41 PM EDT
I just wanted to pass along some info. concerning range rules/policies that are being enforced to the letter now that there is a new RSO on board:

CWP: Range rules state that all firearms brought onto the property at DNR Wateree shall be unloaded and cased. There is a sign at the inside of the entrance gate as well as right before entering the parking lot. If you have a CWP firearm it must be unloaded and cased upon leaving one's vehicle. You will not be allowed to wear a holstered firearm either openly or concealed even if it is unloaded. If you are caught doing so the RSO will make you take it back to the car and you must then unload it and case it (wrap it in a T-shirt or a plastic grocery bag if need be) before you will be allowed back onto the range. Sequential violations will result in expulsion. DNR's position is that it's their range thus their rules.

OPENING TIME: The range opens at 9am. In order to allow the RSO and other employees to get the range ready patrons must wait in the parking area until 9am. Patrons will not be allowed on the range grounds (including the range shack) prior to opening time.

TARGET STANDS: Target stands are not to be moved outside their respective lanes. You may move a target stand forwards or backwards but you may not move one sideways into another lane. If you feet your target stand is too shot up to be used contact the RSO. He has been diligent in keeping target stands repaired.

COLD RANGE RULES: One of the most violated safety rules is the handling of firearms during cold range periods. There is no handling of firearms during cold range and this includes casing and uncasing. Firearms may only be cased and uncased during "Hot Range" periods and this must be done from the firing line (forward of the red line) and not from the seating areas. All firearms must be made safe (unloaded, slides back/cylinders out/ejection ports up/muzzle downrange during cold range. Shooters may reload magazines during cold range periods but they must be behind the red line (using the seating areas). I can tell you from personal observation that the new RSO is not going to tolerate safety violations of this type.

TOBACCO USE (INCLUDING VAPING): All tobacco use including vape pens must be confined to the rear sidewalks and parking areas. No smoking/chew/dip/vape on the range aprons or firing line.

USE OF MULTIPLE LANES BY ONE SHOOTER: Some patrons have requested the use of multiple lanes in order to accurize multiple firearms. This may be done at the discretion of the RSO with the understanding that if more patrons arrive then those lanes must be relinquished. The RSO is not going to allow someone to use more than one lane during peak periods.

CWP INSTRUCTORS: CWP instructors may use the facilities to teach students but they may use no more than two lanes with the understanding that they may be reduced to one lane if patron usage is high.

MINORS/CHILDREN ON RANGE: Rules governed by state and federal gun laws will be enforced.

The new RSO is actually a really good guy (former FFL) and he's very personable and not a range nazi but he has made it clear that safety rules and protocols are to be followed as he gets his marching orders from the DNR.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just wanted to pass along some info. concerning range rules/policies that are being enforced to the letter now that there is a new RSO on board:

CWP: Range rules state that all firearms brought onto the property at DNR Wateree shall be unloaded and cased. There is a sign at the inside of the entrance gate as well as right before entering the parking lot. If you have a CWP firearm it must be unloaded and cased upon leaving one's vehicle. You will not be allowed to wear a holstered firearm either openly or concealed even if it is unloaded. If you are caught doing so the RSO will make you take it back to the car and you must then unload it and case it (wrap it in a T-shirt or a plastic grocery bag if need be) before you will be allowed back onto the range. Sequential violations will result in expulsion. DNR's position is that it's their range thus their rules.
View Quote

quite literal.. ALL firearms....  I carry concealed on my local DNR range as do many others... if they do not wish to have concealed carry then maybe they should re-word the rules or post No concealed carry signs like are required at many businesses and others around SC.....
My take on the ALL firearms rule is for those that come to the range and sling a AR on the shoulder and walk in... Not those with a CWP with a pistol on their hip. I don't know how to take this... I don't shoot at that range anyway...but shoot at a couple other DNR ranges and hope this doesn't spread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The range does not need to use state compliant signage to bar CWP holders from carrying such on their property.

The facility manager is the person with controlling authority and the RSO(s) are acting agents on his behalf.  In lieu of signage controlling authority or their agent has the right to tell you not to carry concealed firearms onto the property. The policy is not arbitrary nor selective on who is doing it as in some animals are more equal than others. The policy applies to all CWP holders. It's the same as if you went into a private business and it became known that you were carrying. The owner of the store or the CEO of the company does not have to be present to tell you that you can't. The employees are acting as agents in their behalf. The issue of signage being present or absent is irrelevant.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The CWP thing is a load of crap, glad I have a private range to shoot on.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
How does the RSO feel about NFA items?  Got a friend moving to the area who wants to check this place out and any heads up I can provide is a plus
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Full Auto is prohibited

Cans are GTG

SBR's are GTG

Keep in mind that the RSO is simply enforcing rules laid out by the DNR. He's not making shit up as he goes along.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Full Auto is prohibited

Cans are GTG

SBR's are GTG

Keep in mind that the RSO is simply enforcing rules laid out by the DNR. He's not making shit up as he goes along.
View Quote

Fine by me.  Didn’t know if he was a paperwork checker like I’ve had happen at another outdoor Palmetto range in the midlands
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top