Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i would 100% fo it again...i got extra magazines now too  lol
View Quote

Then sign up for the two day course in October or the 1 day course in November.  There are 3 of us going to the 2 day in October.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I just signed up for the October Appleseed.  This will be my 3rd. I've been practicing, and I am really hoping to get my Distinguished patch this time!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

[placeholder for #3 (hopefully)]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm after a Distinguished rocker, my best so far is 232 with a scope so I'm 8 away.

I'm also after a patch with an AR with irons.  Because reasons.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
232 has been my best so far also--at the Appleseeds.

I bought a big pile of AQT targets and I've been shooting at least 3/week since April.  In my backyard, my best has been 244--but that's with no distractions, no pressure, and I'm not 100% sure I was inside the time limits.

I wish I could still see my sights--my biggest issue these days is being able to hold the rifle steady and losing a pound or two of optic would make that a lot easier.  I earned my first Rifleman with a basic 10/22 and a cheap RDS....that setup was light enough to shoot all day, but the dot isn't fine enough for really good scores--totally obscured the shingle and it was a 'best guess' every time I pulled the trigger.  I'm running a heavier barrel with a compact 3-12 USO now---I can see the target, and I do pretty well at first, but my scores start dropping fast as fatigue sets in.

One of the biggest improvements I've found for my 'Appleseed rig' was to start using BX15 magazines.  Same concept as gluing a block to the 10rd mags but nothing to fall off when dropping an empty or firmly rocking in a fresh mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Any idea when they'll be back in Newberry, or somewhere in the Upstate?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Charlotte has one scheduled for Sep 17th and 18th

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any idea when they'll be back in Newberry, or somewhere in the Upstate?
View Quote

They just started having them in Newberry again.  Apparently it has been a long time since they were there in the past.  They are looking for people who are members of ranges that can be a liaison to assist with hosting.  If you are in a range in the upstate they would like to work with you to get an event there.

Read this regarding AS in SC
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me send an e mail...
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I went to sight in the rifle I plan to use in the October event yesterday.  I'm taking a 16" dissipater with a detachable carry handle rear sight.  It didn't go too great, and I need to go back and work on it.  It was getting just too hot so I went back inside to cool off.

I have to be honest, just being able to see the smallest AQT targets from 25 meters with irons is extremely hard.  Trying to get a score of 210 with irons and an AR is going to be a bigger challenge than I thought.  I'm thinking this will take several rounds of AS if I'm going to get a patch this way.  I may go back to chasing a distinguished rocker with the 10/22.

It's not that easy to shoot a 210 score at Appleseed with a 10/22.  But I was really struggling to have any sort of accuracy with the iron sights on the AR.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Last couple of weeks, I really over-did it on some big projects.....and I think I tore my rotator cuff again.

I can move my shoulder just fine.....until I hit just the wrong spot and it's like getting hit with a bolt of lightning.

I tried to get in some more practice yesterday and learned that I can't put any pressure on the sling.  It sucks being old and feeble
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
That sucks.  Hope you feel well enough to go in October.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Does Arfcom have a dedicated Appleseed forum that I can't find?  I think we should have one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That sucks.  Hope you feel well enough to go in October.
View Quote

Thanks--I'll be there--even if I'm in a sling.

I paid my fee and it's non-refundable, so at the very least I'm gonna get my t-shirt

I already have 2 Rifleman patches, and I WANT my Distinguished rocker.  Until I screwed up my shoulder, I was on my way to it.  I'm gonna keep doing my PT, but in the meantime, I think I'll run a few AQTs right handed to see what I can do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#14]
From a quick browse through the rules I think I saw that you can use a bipod. Unless I'm wrong, if that works it's better than not shooting at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a bench/prone precision shooter.  Shooting off the bipod is my 'happy place', and not trying to brag, but I'd end up with a perfect score on a AQT.  This one was 1 shot every 2 seconds or so.

Attachment Attached File

I'm trying to get better with my offhand/unsupported shooting--it's the only reason I go to Appleseeds.  If my shoulder is still jacked up in Oct, I'll just shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From a quick browse through the rules I think I saw that you can use a bipod. Unless I'm wrong, if that works it's better than not shooting at all.
View Quote

If a shooter needs to use a bipod because of a physical handicap, then of course they can use it.

Otherwise, bipods are a no-go.  The whole concept of what we teach at Appleseed is making accurate hits/small groups with nothing but you, your rifle and a sling.

At my last event I had to correct a shooter because they were using their mag as a monopod.  Hell, even Ayoob had his first Rifleman score disallowed by the Shoot Boss for using his mag as a monopod.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the instructors just posted on the Appleseed page that the October shoot is sold out.  There are still slots for the November shoot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#18]
One week from tomorrow.  

FighterFixer has me undecided about going for the Distinguished rocker and going for Rifleman with irons on an AR.  

KILLING ME!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to bow out.  Working. Grrrr
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm looking forward to it!  I'm chasing the Distinguished rocker, but I haven't been able to practice much lately.  I think I'm going to see how well I can do with irons this time.  

I'll be bringing a basic carbine with Tech Sights.  If I can manage a Rifleman score with that on the first day, I'll switch to my tricked out 10/22 and try for Distinguished on day 2.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got a call from Taz.  The Mid Carolina Appleseed for Oct 1-2 has been cancelled due to expected storms (Hurricane Ian).

They've got an alternate date--same location of Oct 29-30 so I have a little more time to practice with the iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got a call from Taz.  The Mid Carolina Appleseed for Oct 1-2 has been cancelled due to expected storms (Hurricane Ian).

They've got an alternate date--same location of Oct 29-30 so I have a little more time to practice with the iron sights.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. There’s nothing on their site or FB announcing a change.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. There’s nothing on their site or FB announcing a change.
View Quote

Steve was calling everyone that registered, and they posted it on the Appleseed Forum.  The South Carolina leaders don't post on FB, and it takes the national crew to update the main website.  They made the call to reschedule late in the day and started calling.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I may be able to make it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#25]
5 DAYS
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]

I've been looking forward to this!  I'll be shooting with irons (Tech Sights) on Saturday and switch to optics on Sunday.  Not sure yet if that means I'll be using my home built tackdriver rig, or just reinstalling the Aimpoint on the basic carbine.....depends on how well (or how poorly) I do.  From my practice sessions, I don't have a prayer of hitting 230+ with irons, but I should be able to manage around 210-215.

The one thing I'm not happy with on my heavily customized 10/22 is that I haven't been able to find an extended bolt catch that works with the Timney trigger.  The Calvin Elite trigger assembly was re-engineered and none of the aftermarket catches fit the new design....I may end up fabricating something myself.

Change of topic, but I just learned that Tech Sights LLC is based in Hartsville SC!

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#27]
THREE DAYS
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#28]
TOMORROW!
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Packed up and heading out in 20 minutes--I'll be getting there early to help set up.

See y'all soon!
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm heading there in a minute.   It's a great day to shoot AQT's!
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Day 1.....FAILURE!

I have now learned that my eyes are even worse than I had thought.  209 was the best I could do with irons, and as the day went on, my scores got worse. It may have been the light conditions--I was shooting pretty good on the squares, but when the overcast set in, I doubt I would have done any worse with my eyes closed.

With my readers off, I could see the target fine but I couldn't see the front sight at all.

With my readers on, I could see the front sight perfectly, but couldn't see anything but the biggest target.  I know that the target should be blurry, but it was like it wasnt' even there.

I'm shooting with a scope tomorrow.  I may still suck, but at least I'll be able to see what I'm shooting at.

I've got Monday off, and my poor performance had convinced me to go get my eyes checked.  I probably should have done it 5 years ago, but I didn't want to admit that I'm getting old and feeble.

Getting old sucks in so many ways.

Despite not doing as well as I had hoped, I still had a great time.  Hoping for a little redemption tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't do as good as Fighter.  I had the exact same vision issues.  However I didn't score as well with my iron sighted AR as he did with his iron sighted 10/22.  I was struggling pretty bad.  

Tomorrow I will he on the scoped rifle as well.  I'm going to see if my new scope helps my accuracy as my old scope lost its seal and fogged up.  

Fighter and I are after that distinguished score.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#33]
FWIW.  I'm farsighted.  It set in about 6 years ago as a warning that I was approaching 50 at the time.    I need magnification to see rear sights on anything.  

I've had some success with https://sspeyewear.com/ and their Top Focal lenses.  Especially shooting pistols.  Their safety glasses system puts the magnification at the top of the lens vs my progressive lenses that have the magnification at the bottom.  

I have no affiliation with SSP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to post before FighterFixer1 so I can feel good for a moment.  That moment will pass quickly...

Yesterday after struggling with the AR with the iron sights all day and struggling to see the target due to poor vision, my two scores were a 148 and 151.  Not even close to qualification.

Today I chased that 240 Distinguished number, and I had 2 AQT's in particular where I really had trouble and did not even get all shots fired in the time limits.  My scores were 224, 232, 201 (down a lot of shots), 217 (down 2 shots, one critically on the 4th stage), 230, and 235.  

I upped my personal best from 232 to 235.  That's an improvement.  The new scope definitely made a HUGE difference.  Time management and trigger discipline hurt me badly.  I also let it "get into my head".  I need to practice more and try again.  I was not up to the challenge of scoring 240 today.  

However, I did accept an Instructor In Training hat so I have that whole course of study to begin.  Fighter says I'm a true believer.  He's right.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Today was a better day!

232, 239, 240, 241

I got my Distinguished Rifleman

We had another shooter--older gent (as in, older than me) who was struggling with his iron sights--same problems that 57 and I were having.  I accomplished my goal, so I offered to let him use my rifle.  He went from averaging 140-150 to knocking out a solid 223 and earning his first Rifleman score.

Attachment Attached File

Had a great time!
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't forget this 7yo girl that outshot the three grown men all day on Saturday by a wide wide margin!Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top