Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2022 5:36:49 PM EDT
Saturnsport8k and I started to do an Appleseed event before the Wuhan Flu hit.

Anyone want to try again at doing one?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I might be depending on cost and where the event is held.

Here is the "what to bring" link:

https://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw one the end of April.  CW time for me.

One in July and another in October.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Its funny that you posted this today because I literally JUST walked back in from running through the AS course of fire to make sure I'm ready.  This is the first time I've shot with this 10/22 since the AS clinic last year and I'm happy with the 222 I scored.

I was too late for the April 23rd Mid Carolina AS clinic....it's only 10 slots and they were full when I checked it about 2 weeks ago.  I signed up for another in Charlotte on the same weekend.  It's about the same distance from home, so no big deal, but I do wish it was a familiar range.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If needed, I could donate an embarrassingly low score.  

eta: As in bad score.  Couldn't hit shit.  So many gun games are about driving hours to shoot for "only a few seconds" and win the match.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I did the long range Appleseed about four years ago up in NC.

I’d be interested in a local-ish one with a .22.  I just need a USGI sling; had to borrow one last time
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think my son and I would be interested if we can make it. Always wanted to try this
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to try this.  I have never done Appleseed.  I'd have to go buy a 10/22 to do it, which is a great excuse to buy another gun...

If this does happen I'd love to participate.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know an instructor who would be willing to do a class for us as a group?  It looks like we have enough people interested we could fill a class.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you do this with a lever action?  I have a Rossi in .22 that has a sling already on it.  Or should I just go buy a Ruger 10-22?  Can you use a scope or does it have to be iron sights?

Are we looking at the Newberry event in July or the Gaston event in October.  I think someone said the April date is full in Gaston.

I wouldn't be opposed to Charlotte either if that's the best option.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you are an instructor for Appleseed and want to host a local event or are you saying you had planned on attending one of these sessions as a student when it was canceled?

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m signing up for it today.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you are an instructor for Appleseed and want to host a local event or are you saying you had planned on attending one of these sessions as a student when it was canceled?

View Quote

We signed up as students, and they cancelled it due to C19 shutdowns
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which one?  Newberry?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which one?

Edit

I signed up for October in Gaston.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which one?  Newberry?
View Quote

I went with the October one at MCRC in Gaston.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

i would love to do appleseed, just please make it at a place i can use a rifle not rimfire
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

i would love to do appleseed, just please make it at a place i can use a rifle not rimfire
View Quote

I poorly worded it.

He and I planned on attending one.

There are a few for center fire but most are rimfire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#19]

That is cool.  I didn't see it when I signed up via my phone.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Edit:  I'm signed up for October in Gaston.

12 spots left open on their website for anyone thinking about this date.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are we in for October in Gaston?  I'm about to buy my ticket.
View Quote

Yep. I registered the other day. I’m 100% in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep. I registered the other day. I’m 100% in.
View Quote

You gonna shoot 22lr or other?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You gonna shoot 22lr or other?
View Quote

I plan on bringing 22lr since they are back to accepting use of the S&W M&P15-22.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I plan on bringing 22lr since they are back to accepting use of the S&W M&P15-22.
View Quote

Sounds like a solid plan.

I am going to shoot the same rifle I won with last weekend.  It worked well there.  I am going to order a few more magazines though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am going to shoot the same rifle I won with last weekend.  It worked well there.  I am going to order a few more magazines though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you ever get any Rimfire Remedy from Cherrybalmz to lube it with?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Thoughts on a 10-22 versus a dedicated 22 upper on an AR platform?  I think from a cost to buy standpoint they are the same.  A 10-22 is roughlyn $300 -370 depending on options.   That should be about the same as a basic 22 upper.  I have a few 22 mags for a CMMG drop in upper, but I don't feel that the CMMG insert bolt is accurate at all.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did you ever get any Rimfire Remedy from Cherrybalmz to lube it with?
View Quote

Yep

I think I can run subs with it now.

I may try because they always group better at 100.

I will post a picture later. At the SOB drinking beer right now.

EDT

Drank beer and won $125 as first place in trivia contest with my sammich maker, daughter and her friend.  Daughter drove home.  LOL

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thoughts on a 10-22 versus a dedicated 22 upper on an AR platform?  I think from a cost to buy standpoint they are the same.  A 10-22 is roughlyn $300 -370 depending on options.   That should be about the same as a basic 22 upper.  I have a few 22 mags for a CMMG drop in upper, but I don't feel that the CMMG insert bolt is accurate at all.
View Quote

I would shoot what was reliable and accurate. I doubt an upper would cut it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked up a 10-22, and shot it a little this weekend.  Runs great, so I need to add the sling mounts and sling now.

The one I bought came with a scope on it.  Should I leave it with the scope or remove it and add irons for Appleseed?  I know that the scope is an advantage, but would I miss the point of the event if I'm not shooting off iron sights?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I can’t see irons anymore. Not on a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#31]
How many do we have right now?  Should I post up on the Appleseed forums and see if we can get a course for those of us from AR15?  I mean, in addition to the one in Gaston in October and the one in Newberry in July.  I for one do not relish the thought of laying in the sun all day long in July, so I'm thinking May if we can get an instructor to agree to another class.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many do we have right now?  Should I post up on the Appleseed forums and see if we can get a course for those of us from AR15?  I mean, in addition to the one in Gaston in October and the one in Newberry in July.  I for one do not relish the thought of laying in the sun all day long in July, so I'm thinking May if we can get an instructor to agree to another class.
View Quote

So far it looks like it is just us three in the October event. Don’t quote me, but I believe they teach up to 30 people per class?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#33]
So right now:

57plymouth
saturnsport8k
RattleCanAR
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So right now:

57plymouth
saturnsport8k
RattleCanAR
View Quote

I'm an instructor with Appleseed.  Forum name over there is ITB.  Feel free to PM me and I can put you in touch with local instructors in your area.

If you guys get a few more folks, we can certainly look at a private event, can even do it on private land if someone has a good setup.

@57plymouth
@saturnsport8k
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm an instructor with Appleseed.  Forum name over there is ITB.  Feel free to PM me and I can put you in touch with local instructors in your area.

If you guys get a few more folks, we can certainly look at a private event, can even do it on private land if someone has a good setup.

@57plymouth
@saturnsport8k
View Quote

I'd volunteer to host it here, but my range is still too rough.  The lane out to 25 meters is basically one person wide.  I just started clearing it back recently so it's not great, but it's enough for me to amuse myself.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm too anxious for this.

I signed up for the Appleseed in Newberry as well.  I guess I'm going twice this year.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'd volunteer to host it here, but my range is still too rough.  The lane out to 25 meters is basically one person wide.  I just started clearing it back recently so it's not great, but it's enough for me to amuse myself.
View Quote

A lot of clubs have it in their charter/bylaws that they have to help or cooperate with other nonprofits.  That's a possible angle you can use with a potential host range/club.  We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CMMG uppers tend to be reliable, at least in my limited experience (I've got one and so do a couple of other people I know); I keep it fairly wet compared to say a Marlin or Ruger.  I've got a Spike's drop in conversion too and it's neither as reliable or as accurate as the CMMG which is a proper 1:16 twist and no insert.  They seem to be more ammo picky though with higher velocity ammo being preferred although it'll still cycle regular velocity through a suppressor most of the time.  

Back on the topic of locations, I might be interested depending on when and where and I know two others who might be as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Back on the topic of locations, I might be interested depending on when and where and I know two others who might be as well.
View Quote

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=SC&state=South%20Carolina

I'm signed up for the class in July in Newberry and the class in October in Gaston.  As stated earlier, most of us are signed up for Gaston in October.  I heard that there is one space left for Gaston in April, but I'm not authoritative on that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I heard that the shoot this weekend has been moved away from MCRC.  My wife's allergies are bothering her so our planned family activity may be cancelled.  If so I'd like to squeeze in at the last minute.  Has anyone heard if the event is still at MCRC or if it's been moved?  If so, where will it be held.

I was mistaken.  Disregard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#41]
The Charlotte Appleseed was pretty good!  I decided not to attend today (second day).  I didn't expect my house in Camden to sell so quickly, and driving from Pelion instead of Camden is quite a bit further.  What would have been just under an hour drive is now over 2 hrs.....between work and the move, I've been burning the candle at both ends for the past month.  After the long drive and all day in the sun, I'm just too tired to make the drive again.

But I got my second patch and cleaned the Redcoat

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#42]
My wife's plans for this weekend changed.  She told me at 9:00 on Friday night that I could go to the Appleseed in Gaston.  

Despite feeling like I was completely unprepared, I was as prepared as I needed to be.

The instructors were great!  Patient and helpful.  They were always walking around to give advice or help with problems.  

I did clear the Redcoats and Morgan's shingle, but I did not score well enough to get Rifleman.  I progressed from roughly a 150-160 on the first AQT, to a best score of 202 on the las AQT.  In the 100meter practice I kept 4 out of 5 on target which was a surprise since I didn't use the sling on that one.  

I'll be back in July for the Newberry event, and hopefully by the next event in Gaston I'll be good enough to get Rifleman.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#43]
How many rounds did y’all fire?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How many rounds did y’all fire?
View Quote

I didn't count.  I have my .22 dumped loose into an ammo can.  

We did 6 AQT's, 3 Redcoats, at least 2 green zombies, and a bunch of sighting squares.  

I'd say we did at least 500 rounds.  That's the rough math from what I remember.  I could have forgotten how many squares we did.  We also shot on the 100 yard distance, which is another 25 rounds. That may be on the conservative side though.  I know I got real tired of loading 2 mags (1 with 2 rounds, 1 with 8 rounds).  

If you are planning to buy fresh ammo for the 2 day event, I would buy 2 bricks of 500 to be sure you have way more than enough plus some to share if needed.  

I would take no less than 600 rounds.  

If you are shooting something other than .22, I would be sure that the rifle is 100% zero at 25 meters ahead of time and be sparing with the squares if you want to conserve ammo.  I get that because the ammo bill can get big these days.

I was actually surprised how many people did not read the How To Prepare  guide.  One shooter (who did get Rifleman) had a problem with his scope and did not have the right tools to tighten it.  Several people did not have a screwdriver to adjust their scope.  I had the tools for both of those, so I was able to help them out.  The instructors brought a staple gun to hang targets, but I was the only participant that brought one. Seriously, read the How To Prepare guide.  If you are starting from scratch you only really need 2 magazines, but they should be tested to be sure they drop free AND LOAD SMOOTHLY.  I had trouble with loading the mags into my 10-22.  I'm going to touch them up with some sandpaper to be sure they load smooth.  It cost me time on the AQT's and I did not complete the 10 shots multiple times.  Having the gun sighted in at 25m is good but not essential as they will teach you how to do it and it's actually part of the instruction.  They base all of the positions off of the G.I. sling.  If you don't want to use a G.I. sling it's your funeral, but it really is they way to go.  Be sure your front loop is on a QD as it will make your life much better to set the sling up once, then leave it on your arm most of the day.

You will be laying in the sun all day long.  Dress accordingly.  Bring water, lots and lots of water.  Sunscreen and bug spray is almost a no brainer in my life as I keep it in both of our daily driver cars, but your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:....

It cost me time on the AQT's and I did not complete the 10 shots multiple times. ....
View Quote

If you notice on my posted target, I didn't have all 10 shots for the second row---because I bobbled my magazines, lost count and had to rush.  You only get 55 seconds for this stage and I wasn't able to complete this stage.  

.....next time.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got a call from Appleseed. They had to change the date of the October event to the 1st & 2nd.  I’m still in.

Expect a call.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#47]
To add

The caller sounds like he is using text to talk so don’t just hang up thinking it is a junk call.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To add

The caller sounds like he is using text to talk so don’t just hang up thinking it is a junk call.
View Quote

The caller was the shoot boss, Steve.  His screen name on the Appleseed forum is TazDevil.  He sounded distracted when he called me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Bump for those who may have an interest
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#50]
i would 100% fo it again...i got extra magazines now too  lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top