Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2022 2:44:44 PM EDT
First and foremost, this is not a For Sale post.

I have several pounds of used brass collected throughout the years that I am not going to reload like originally planned. Other things have come up and I’m being honest with myself and realizing I’m not going to invest the capital into a reloading setup.

Are there any places that will buy used brass from you? I live in Charleston and thought there used to be a reloading company local that would do it but can’t seem to find their information. I know I can ship it places but that seems like a waste to get $1.50/lb before shipping.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know who is local to you, but scrap dealers are everywhere. You will probably need to get a permit from your Sheriff’s department to sell non-ferrous metal. It’s about $5-$10 for the permit.

You can also sort it by caliber and sell it by the flat rate box on the EE. It’s a little more work that way, but its another way to unload it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
As you're saying "several pounds" it's probably not worth it if the brass in question is very common such as 9mm, 40, or even 223/556. Take it to a range and give it away. The brass vultures will make short work of it. I thought that non-ferrous metal transport permits were supposed to be issued at no charge but I can't verify that.

Scrap yard's gonna give you around $2/lb. Again, is it worth your time if you have to pay for that permit. You'll very likely be paid by check. They might even have to issue you a form 1099 as well. Gee thanks Nikki Haley!

45 Auto (large primer) is desirable. 45 Auto small primer less so. Revolver brass (38 spl, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt) is desirable. Also desirable is 380 Auto and likely 38 Super. Rifle brass such as 300AAC, 308, 6.5, or any common hunting caliber esp. 30-30 is very desirable. If this is the case go to the EE and see what folks are charging then place an ad.

Or you can go to any public range and put that brass out in view and within seconds...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The ammo remanufacturer in the Charleston area is Precision One. They're not going to give you squat for it and neither is GA Arms.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The permits may be free. It’s been a long time since I had one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the free permit and take it to b&d scrap metal. Took a 5 gallon bucket years ago and got 75$. Scrap brass is through the roof now. Those guys at the range arent picking it up all the time for nothing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses. I have some of it sorted that I’ll probably list but most is in a 5 gallon bucket.
The permits are free so it looks like a trip to the scrap yard may be in order.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If you do take it to a scrap yard please update with what you were paid per pound, whether they gave you cash or a check, and if they issued you some sort of tax paperwork (1099).

Here in Sumter the price of scrap brass is certainly not "through the roof". It's $2.25/lb. The last time I sold brass for scrap it was in 2010 and was paid $2.00/lb. Inflation sucks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Application for SC permit to transport/sell non-ferrous metals. I am going to assume this application (from Sumter County) is not county-specific...that this is the state form:

https://cms8.revize.com/revize/sumtersheriff/Document_Center/Forms/Application_Permit-Transport_Sell.pdf

They sure do want a bunch of information. What if I drive more than one vehicle? Thanks, Nikki Haley!

From reading the language of the permit application a permit is not required to transport any sizable quantity of brass from the range to your home/place of business. It's only needed to transport it to a secondary metals recycler for the purpose of transporting and/or selling it to said recycler. A permit is obviously not needed to take packaged brass to USPS/UPS to do an online sale.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses. I have some of it sorted that I’ll probably list but most is in a 5 gallon bucket.
The permits are free so it looks like a trip to the scrap yard may be in order.
View Quote

If you have any .357 magnum I'd be happy to take it off your hands...
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get the free permit and take it to b&d scrap metal. Took a 5 gallon bucket years ago and got 75$. Scrap brass is through the roof now. Those guys at the range arent picking it up all the time for nothing.
View Quote

A 5-gallon bucket of brass weighs about 80 lbs.

While scrap brass may be "through the roof" according to scrapmonster.com the price recyclers are currently paying for yellow brass in our state hasn't changed in the past decade and in many cases it's even less. They're paying less because people are turning in more.

Current price paid per pound ranges from a low of $1.31 to a high of $2.35 (Florence, Orangeburg). I am not driving to either locale the price of gas makes it not worth the bother.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I did get a permit last week. It's free. It's also tied to the vehicle you are going to use to transport it so if you are using more than one vehicle you need to have a permit for each one. Make sure you take your vehicle's registration in with you.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I scrapped a bunch of damaged brass last year.  The local yard did ask for the permit, which was free from the Richland Co. sheriff's office and took about 5 minutes.  They never asked for my registration.  

I don't remember how much I made, but I took a pickup truck full of scrap steel and aluminum at the same time.  I was cleaning out my workshop, and loaded a bunch of garbage into the truck.  I think the total was around $100.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#13]
As an example CMC recycling on Shop Rd near Williams-Brice Stadium is currently paying $2.21/lb. for brass and a paltry .50/lb. for aluminium cans.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Another option is to sell it on gunbroker or one of the reloading websites like castboolits.com.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another option is to sell it on gunbroker or one of the reloading websites like castboolits.com.
View Quote

"For Sale: 1 piece of once-fired 9mm brass. Starting bid $87 buyer pays all shipping costs."

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"For Sale: 1 piece of once-fired 9mm brass. Starting bid $87 buyer pays all shipping costs."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No low-ballers.  I know what I got."
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Darn right!!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"No low-ballers.  I know what I got."
View Quote

How did I forget to add that part?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
@hobgob9

I live in the Charleston area, I sent you a message.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a bunch of odd ball stuff that I just gave away at CWSE.  I gave SuperPredator the 300 and 308 he could use and the JFK brass along with 45/70 went to other folks.  

Brass is not hard to come by so don't expect to sell it off.  I was in a range reloading room in August GA 2 weeks ago and actually had tons of brass, tons...you should see the sorter.

Shorts won’t embed

https://youtube.com/shorts/nX_Q-8IQrBY?feature=share
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a bunch of odd ball stuff that I just gave away at CWSE.  I gave SuperPredator the 300 and 308 he could use and the JFK brass along with 45/70 went to other folks.  

Brass is not hard to come by so don't expect to sell it off.  I was in a range reloading room in August GA 2 weeks ago and actually had tons of brass, tons...you should see the sorter.

Shorts won’t embed

https://youtube.com/shorts/nX_Q-8IQrBY?feature=share
View Quote

Pretty cool. Unfortunately operations such as this help explain why there's a shortage of primers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty cool. Unfortunately operations such as this help explain why there's a shortage of primers.
View Quote

It is for their business.  They run a range and load ammo for it.  It is where I source my primers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Drove over to the metals recycling yard to cash in on about 3 gallons of scrap/unusable brass only to find out they've gone out of business.

The only other metals recycler in the area is paying 1.90/lb. which is ten cents a pound less than what they paid me in 2010 and it takes forever to get in and out. And they're difficult to deal with. I may save this bucket for when I make a future trip to Cola. since that place is pretty much on the way to anywhere I typically go.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Give Nick a call at Redeye Reloading a call.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Give Nick a call at Redeye Reloading a call.
View Quote

F that guy.

He's got barrels of brass he doesn't need nor is he going to pay anything for it and why would anyone want to drive to bumfuck Egypt Nichols to get rid of it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

F that guy.

He's got barrels of brass he doesn't need nor is he going to pay anything for it and why would anyone want to drive to bumfuck Egypt Nichols to get rid of it?
View Quote

That isn't far from me and yet it seems so distant. That and there are too many bad memories in the Nichols area is why I try and run from that place.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

F that guy.

View Quote

No idea and no care what your beef is with him but I personally have come out on the winning end several times with him.  Only contact I know who will trade shit you don't need for shit you do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Scrap brass is through the roof now. Those guys at the range arent picking it up all the time for nothing.
View Quote

A&P recycling paid me $1.30/lb. today that's hardly what I call "through the roof".

At least they paid in cash.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Today's price per lb. from CMC (five locations in SC) is NINETY-FIVE CENTS per lb.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I took a bucket of brass to the recycler this morning to discover that since my last visit that they're paying twenty cents per pound less.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
For that kind of money, I'm going to rush right over to every range and start sweeping up .22 brass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I took a bucket of brass to the recycler this morning to discover that since my last visit that they're paying twenty cents per pound less.

View Quote

The prices in the Charleston area are/were better; June 28th yellow brass was $1.85 per pound.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The prices in the Charleston area are/were better; June 28th yellow brass was $1.85 per pound.
View Quote

Given the time frame, "were" is the likely scenario. I also discovered that a lot of recycling yards distinguish "cartridge brass" from "yellow brass" in terms of what they'll pay.

In any case, the price of metals is going South. I'd love to get $1.85/lb. but of course it's not cost effective to make a 200 mile round trip to C-town.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#34]
We have range rats out the outdoor ranges in francis marion that all they do is come sweep brass. They never shoot. Each time you see em leave with a 5 gallon bucket full.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I had to tell an RO recently to stop stealing my brass.  He had this little wire contraption on a long handle and was reaching past the firing line on a hot range to snag it.  I was like Ummm that’s my brass you’re scooping up while I’m shooting.

CMC’s yellow brass per pound on the site is a lot higher than what that is being reported that they’re paying.  $1.72/lb for yellow brass in Lexington

I’ll get a permit next Monday and scrap my brass some time this coming week and see what happens.  Even if it’s a dollar a pound, I only trash brass that I can’t use reloading wise due to damage.  I’ve got about ten years worth saved up
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We have range rats out the outdoor ranges in francis marion that all they do is come sweep brass. They never shoot. Each time you see em leave with a 5 gallon bucket full.
View Quote

I had to be very forceful on more than one occasion with one guy because he kept taking my brass. Those kind of people and the very unsafe shooters is why I found a private range. Worth the money to have a place that is not a free for all when it comes to anything where a gun range is concerned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Well according to CMC, yellow brass and “shell brass” are not the same.

25 cents a pound today for 120 pounds of unusable brass versus $1.16/lb.  Ooooh well.  Was just taking up space in my reloading area
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well according to CMC, yellow brass and “shell brass” are not the same.

25 cents a pound today for 120 pounds of unusable brass versus $1.16/lb.  Ooooh well.  Was just taking up space in my reloading area
View Quote

This morning I made a first-time visit to CMC on Shop road with a 5-gallon bucket of clean 100% brass.

They refused it citing that that they only accept cartridge brass from the owners of commercial ranges (have to have a commercial account with them). No rationale or reason given. Put the bucket back in the car and left.

Occam's Razor suggests that commercial ranges agree not to allow steel/aluminum cased ammo so that what's turned in is brass and nothing else.

There are several other metal recycling yards in the shop road area as well as Cayce. When going to a yard I've not been to before I will make it a point to call first and get a price up front as well as requirements for turn-in. Twenty five cents a pound is BULLSHIT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top