Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I might be crazy, but since all of this started I’ve noticed a low frequency drone sound while I’m in bed.  I can only hear it while laying down and no other noise is present in the house.   Almost sounds like a generator running or a car idling off in the distance.  Kind of has an oscillating volume that you could compare to the sound of a Huey chopping the air.
My first thought was my wife left a fan running downstairs, but nothing is on anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Well ...

They are building a secret underground base to host the the tic tac aliens.  It is going in under the lake Wateree Dam.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, I might be crazy, but since all of this started I’ve noticed a low frequency drone sound while I’m in bed.  I can only hear it while laying down and no other noise is present in the house.   Almost sounds like a generator running or a car idling off in the distance.  Kind of has an oscillating volume that you could compare to the sound of a Huey chopping the air.
My first thought was my wife left a fan running downstairs, but nothing is on anywhere.
View Quote

Believe it or not that's not an uncommon comment from folks around fault lines.  I don't know that it's ever been fully explained.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

some people can actually feel the frequency change as dogs do, when I lived in California many moons ago, my friends dog would actually bark then crawl under the end table just before a tremor... weird stuff...
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, we're up to what now? Last night made #18?  Whats stranger is my cat woke me up right at that time like he was telling me something was wrong.  And this morning leaving the house he did something he has never done in the past.  He sat by the front door meowing like he was telling me not to leave the house. I went back and checked his food, he has plenty.   It was kind of surreal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Last night was #19 since Dec 27th.  It was just a little 1.3.

I didn't feel it, but I woke up when it happened.  I think one of my dogs noticed it and made a noise.  I looked at the clock when I woke up and it was 12:49 (exactly when it happened).....like I said, I didn't feel a thing, just rolled over and went back to sleep.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
After I posted, I realized that I do remember hearing it last night.  Didn't feel it, but heard it and thought it was a truck driving down the road that got the cats attention to go look out the window on my nightstand.  That's what woke me up and as I tried to get back to sleep I decided it was a good time to make a bathroom run.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE I found out what that oscillating hum was last night.  I'm gonna catch shit over this, but I'm going to man up here.

Was heading to the shower last night and walked over to my dresser in the corner of the bedroom. It's across the room from where I lay in bed.  But I all of a sudden started hearing the humming really loud.  Told my wife I could really hear it now, it's much louder.

And she figured it out.  

On the other side of the wall is our corner fireplace.  Above the fireplace is one of those "nooks" they built to hold your old CRT TV's.  In that nook is the coax drop for the cable system.  That's where we installed the cable modem.  When the weather got cooler and we were lighting the gas logs we were constantly rebooting the modem because the internet was locking up.  Well the heat rising from the fireplace was entering the nook turning it into an oven and cooking the modem.  So I had my wife find a small fan and put it up in the nook behind the modem to move air around.  Cable quit freezing up.   I was hearing that small fan on the other side of the wall and coincidentally it started around the time of the first earthquake when she put it up there.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
UPDATE I found out what that oscillating hum was last night.  I'm gonna catch shit over this, but I'm going to man up here.

Was heading to the shower last night and walked over to my dresser in the corner of the bedroom. It's across the room from where I lay in bed.  But I all of a sudden started hearing the humming really loud.  Told my wife I could really hear it now, it's much louder.

And she figured it out.  

On the other side of the wall is our corner fireplace.  Above the fireplace is one of those "nooks" they built to hold your old CRT TV's.  In that nook is the coax drop for the cable system.  That's where we installed the cable modem.  When the weather got cooler and we were lighting the gas logs we were constantly rebooting the modem because the internet was locking up.  Well the heat rising from the fireplace was entering the nook turning it into an oven and cooking the modem.  So I had my wife find a small fan and put it up in the nook behind the modem to move air around.  Cable quit freezing up.   I was hearing that small fan on the other side of the wall and coincidentally it started around the time of the first earthquake when she put it up there.  
View Quote

All I can do is LOL!!

Because I can see myself doing the same thing!

At least you know that you are not nutz. At least that indicator is gone
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had two friends that live in that area tell me there was another one on Thursday am at 12:51 that was not reported by USGS or the news.  One of the actually lives in an apartment at ground zero for one of them.  The first one that was 3.something actually shook her dishes in the cabinets and she could feel some slight sway in her 2nd story apartment.
Have not looked at USGS to see if it registered or not.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I “think” I felt one this morning.

Not SAFB for sure, around 1048, Saturday morning. Western edge of Sumter area.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I “think” I felt one this morning.

Not SAFB for sure, around 1048, Saturday morning. Western edge of Sumter area.
View Quote

Gotta say, you’re probably right.  My friend outside Elgin sent me a text at 11 and asked if I felt it a few minutes earlier.  That’s two now in the past few days not reported in the news.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gotta say, you’re probably right.  My friend outside Elgin sent me a text at 11 and asked if I felt it a few minutes earlier.  That’s two now in the past few days not reported in the news.
View Quote

My daughter and I felt/heard it.  Odd, I looked on the USGS web page and nothing was reported.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Yet another one yesterday in Elgin at 11:35 magnitude 1.8.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Did we just have another one?  3/9 around 11:30 AM?  (I didn't feel a thing but the Facebook Karens are twitching)

ETA:  USGS just updated their map.  3/4/2022 had a 1.78 and today was a 2.16.....what is this now?  20 or 21 in the same vicinity over the last 9 weeks?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, it’s happening again! All that weight from Columbia’s garbage pile off Wildcat Rd. Is causing the plates to teeter totter.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything at just after 5 pm? I felt my desk moving as I was punching out of work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like you guys had another quake. That mantle plume is slowly rising.

Anyone thought of a name for the soon to rise 10,000 foot volcano? Mount Elgin? A new wide area ham radio repeater site.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
How many are they up to now?  It does make you wonder if something bigger is on the horizon.

ETA- 23rd since December according to the article I read.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea, we quit counting.  The lake level is rising today.  Maybe we’ll get a new island soon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Or a mountain, Little Mountain really isn't impressive.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Youse guys promised me an alien underground base.  Is that not a thing anymore?  I need that to be a thing.  I was going to sign up Irmo for the tictac invasion flights.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Guessing that was another in the Midlands area just now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guessing that was another in the Midlands area just now.
View Quote

Felt it and heard it, too. A low roar/rumble that sounded like a jet taking off from Shaw AFB. The house creaked every so slightly then the sound was gone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Yea, I could hear it approaching, hit my location with windows shaking and move on beyond the house.
I’m betting 4.0 or better

Edit: 3.1. Already posted.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:48:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yea, I could hear it approaching, hit my location with windows shaking and move on beyond the house.
I’m betting 4.0 or better
View Quote

It was definitely stronger than the previous ones.  Most of the others I didn't even notice or barely felt.  This one rattled the house a bit- it reminded me how late it is and I need to get off this silly forum and to sleep.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I see it was upgraded to a 3.29 or 3.3.  I think the initial quake back in December was 3.something.  I guess being in the middle of a quiet night it felt much stronger.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm right between Elgin and Blythewood.  I felt that one.  First one I've been able to feel.  It woke my wife and I up.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like we had three quakes this morning.  USGS has the 3.3, a 1.8 and a 1.6.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#31]
And another just before midnight Monday.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Soon...

It's the big one, Elizabeth!

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Twenty something since the beginning of the year, it does kinda make ya wonder.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Wife and daughter said they just felt another one in the Blythewood/Elgin area
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#35]
2.8 at 3:09.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Apparently two of them:

The U.S. Geological Survey confirms a 2.8 magnitude quake struck at 3:09 p.m. Tuesday. It was centered 3.1 miles to the east-southeast of the town of Elgin and trembled 3.8 miles beneath the ground.

And then shortly afterward, it was confirmed there was a 2.3 quake at 1:24 p.m., also about three miles east-southeast Elgin. This one was 2.4 miles beneath the surface.
View Quote

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/earthquake-in-elgin-south-carolina-may-10/101-0715fd1e-cb8b-4d73-bf2b-2d9df21ea3aa
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
2.8 at 3:09.  

View Quote

I was getting my haircut at our friends apartment when this one hit.  She’s very close to the epicenter.  It sounded like a solid concrete wall about 30’ tall fell over outside her apartment.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Remind me what we're up to now?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This one had to have been the biggest one yet...
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:01:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WIS is saying 3.2 but yeah, I'm thinking at least as much as that 3.3.  It definitely rattled the windows a bit more.

Not like I should should have been up playing Red Dead 2 anyways.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Now it’s up to 3.4.  Are earthquakes like elections?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Great, I get a degree in Geology and I still have not felt a single earthquake. I would have had more use from other worthless degrees like Sociology.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#43]
It definitely rattled windows at about 1:30 am last night in the Lexington area. Most of the others I haven't even noticed here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Another earthquake at 2:44 pm today. It rattled the house here in Lexington County.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#45]
3.3 or 3.4?  Bets on number of aftershocks?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Daggum!  That was a big one just now!

Edit: USGS says 3.3
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Just felt on today on Shaw. 1445 29JUN22

First one I have ever felt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah it felt about like the one the other night.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Shook me pretty good here on Wateree. Seemed to last a little longer than the others.

Edit: This one seemed to bounce me up and down in my recliner.  Different feel than the others.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Shook me pretty good here on Wateree. Seemed to last a little longer than the others.
View Quote

Yep, it seemed to last a little longer here too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top