Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 7:06:55 PM EDT
So I'm looking at probably getting a new car and of course I'm looking for the best deal. Here in TN a few places have a "if it drives it's worth 5500" trade in deal going on. Are there any dealers in SC that have something like that or any other promotion going? I tried looking/asking the dealer sites, but thought I would ask here and maybe lighten my load
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not heard of any ads like that lately in the Charleston area.  Occasionally the Stokes dealers have ads saying they offer up to 125% of blue book value.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate to tell you this...but its really a sales ploy, smoke and mirrors with the $.  They may give you a crazy amount on a worthless trade, but they are making it up on the sale side. There are no free rides, the money is being made on the other side.  I wouldn't base where I would shop for a new car on that incentive alone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate to tell you this...but its really a sales ploy, smoke and mirrors with the $.  They may give you a crazy amount on a worthless trade, but they are making it up on the sale side. There are no free rides, the money is being made on the other side.  I wouldn't base where I would shop for a new car on that incentive alone.
View Quote

AMEN.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to sell your car prior to buying a new, take it to a carmax and ask them what they will give you for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I kinda thought that. But what if you don't tell them that you are going trade in at first, or just ask them what their best price and that's it. I mean wouldn't they more likely give you a better deal thinking you'll walk?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
OP are you looking for a brand new vehicle or used?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP are you looking for a brand new vehicle or used?
View Quote

New
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to sell your car prior to buying a new, take it to a carmax and ask them what they will give you for it.
View Quote

Carmax usually offers Black Book Rough, or sometimes 75% of rough value. I would use them as a last resort or if you wanted the cash right away and did not have the title on hand.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]
My advise is to treat the new/used car purchase, the trade in, and the financing all as 3 separate transactions. Do not combine them. You work your deal on the car/truck you want and negotiate that  to the price you are willing to pay. Then work on the trade value. Financing is the last part- you can listen to their options, but go to your local credit union and know your options there as well. Run the #'s , sometimes its cheaper to forgo the instant rebate incentives  and take the 0% offers, sometimes the math works out to take the rebates and use a local lender for 1.99%,etc.

IMO, The best route is to take the rebates, and use a home equity line to purchase the car. You get the rebates, you get the right off some of the home equity interest on your taxes, and you have the title in hand.  That is what a lot of my customers do on new car purchases.

New car purchases I can't save you that much, If you want used, shoot me a PM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top