Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 12:42:03 PM EDT
Sumter: I can't make up my mind it's a toss-up between Tony's Guns or Jim's Gun Shop.

Hold onto your cock when dealing with either of these snake-oil salesmen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a good one?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
a ton of the Pawn Shop / Gun Shops.

they have high dollar prices and treat you like a crack head.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooter's Choice in West Columbia. Great selection if you just want to look. But very high prices, sometimes above suggested retail even on current production models. Also many of the sales people have crappy attitudes, assuming you can get one to stop yucking it up with each other long enough to come show you a gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a good one?
View Quote

Sure. Just in Columbia, there are the two Palmetto State Armory locations. Plus Lawmen's Safety Supply are good folks, I have dealt with them for over 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Palmetto DIstributors / Firearms on Broad River Rd in Columbia near SLED's office was hit and miss due to counter help.  When their corporate owner, Dana Safety Supply, stopped selling semi auto rifles to "civilians" ( link ), that operation ceased to be anything worth visiting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Palmetto DIstributors / Firearms on Broad River Rd in Columbia near SLED's office was hit and miss due to counter help.  When their corporate owner, Dana Safety Supply, stopped selling semi auto rifles to "civilians" ( link ), that operation ceased to be anything worth visiting.
View Quote

+1  It is just a shadow of what it used to be a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shooter's Choice in West Columbia. Great selection if you just want to look. But very high prices, sometimes above suggested retail even on current production models. Also many of the sales people have crappy attitudes, assuming you can get one to stop yucking it up with each other long enough to come show you a gun.
View Quote

I will have to echo Shooter's Choice as well. I haven't been in in a while, but in the past, I remember going in and standing at the counter while some of the guys are just standing around busy with talking to their coworkers. Whenever I go in, it's when I've got money to burn and I'm hoping they might have something nice in the used guns sections.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The Gunshop in walhalla is full of arrogant sons of.... I'll stop there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
ATP
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ATP
View Quote

ATP: want a FFL transfer? You're going to pay SALES TAX on it at ATP
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I learned the moment I got into guns that the only purpose a gun store has is to do FFL transfers.

If it wasn't for federal laws that require them to exist they would've died out decades ago due to 1) high prices, 2) low service and 3) hostile customer service
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will have to echo Shooter's Choice as well. I haven't been in in a while, but in the past, I remember going in and standing at the counter while some of the guys are just standing around busy with talking to their coworkers. Whenever I go in, it's when I've got money to burn and I'm hoping they might have something nice in the used guns sections.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll third the Shooter's Choice hate and they deserve it. I have hard-headed friends who go there and still complain about the bad customer service. Some people just don't learn.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooters choice is a lot better now than say 5 years ago BUT it really depends on who is working the counter, the new younger guys are nice enough.  The prices are hit or miss, I picked up a Glock 34 last year for cheaper than PSA had them but the shotguns seem to be really high.

The worst ones I've been to so far was either ATP or Lexington pawn and gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Add Schofield's Ace Hardware (Florence) to the list. They're just assholes plain and simple.

And no fucking way am I paying $37+tax for a box of .380 FMJ.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a member at SharpShooters Gun Club and Range in Greenville on Rutherford Rd.  The place is fantastic.  Great customer service, decent prices, excellent classes and range.  Cheap FFL transfers and great Tactical selection.  Worst is PSA Greenville until they find out you are buying a firearm.  Then its all "Yes master, yes sir!"  What is it with Gun Shop employees?  Is it a requirement to act like a Richard?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lexington pawn and gun.
View Quote

THIS PLACE.

Yeah, they've had the same inventory for years it seems, and the guys, or at least the owner, are complete dicks. Prices aren't great, either.

Honestly, I don't understand how some of these guys can be dicks to customers. I've worked at Publix as a part time school job and it's nothing hard, even when the customers suck, to be courteous. It's as easy as just asking the someone what's up and then checking up on them in a few minutes. I only get that at PSA.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATP

God that place sucks hard.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ATP
View Quote

And don't bring your SO there...Every time the wife goes with some goon behind the counter always tries their played out come on lines. Creeps her out every time.

Might be a good thing if your lady is looking for a little attention though...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, I will say Jim's Gun Shop in Sumter. I've known Jim for years and yes, I bought a gun from there. But he was the only one that had what I was wanting at the time. Now, Tony's, I have dealt with him for a few years. Yes, he can be an ass, but I have gotten good deals from him. Tony likes me yet doesn't like my brother a whole lot. So I get deals, and my brother gets a headache.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And don't bring your SO there...Every time the wife goes with some goon behind the counter always tries their played out come on lines. Creeps her out every time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATP

I here that a lot. Good luck getting the counter staff to help either.  Too busy with their delusional gun idiot conversations. I only go for the range, and even then they make up rules on the fly.  Like, soft point only.... But no signs saying it.  But you can use their range ammo (PMC Bronze 55gr).
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I here that a lot. Good luck getting the counter staff to help either.  Too busy with their delusional gun idiot conversations. I only go for the range, and even then they make up rules on the fly.  Like, soft point only.... But no signs saying it.  But you can use their range ammo (PMC Bronze 55gr).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATP

Or you cant use your ammo but theyll give people 7.62x54 ap on strippers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#22]

main street gun and pawn in dillon sucks
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]
that swamp fox place still neckbearding ammo?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure about the Swamp Fox...haven't been in there since Pontificator and I made our initial report. Not planning to give them any business either.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
that swamp fox place still neckbearding ammo?
View Quote

Probably.

I drive past there a lot and I see very few cars if any in the parking lot. When I drove past there today the lot was empty save 2 trucks probably the owners.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am a member at SharpShooters Gun Club and Range in Greenville on Rutherford Rd.  The place is fantastic.  Great customer service, decent prices, excellent classes and range.  Cheap FFL transfers and great Tactical selection.  Worst is PSA Greenville until they find out you are buying a firearm.  Then its all "Yes master, yes sir!"  What is it with Gun Shop employees?  Is it a requirement to act like a Richard?
View Quote

I have to agree, concerning PSA. Sharpshooters is pretty good, but even so, they have their share of gunshop commandos behind the counter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Add Schofield's Ace Hardware (Florence) to the list. They're just assholes plain and simple.

And no fucking way am I paying $37+tax for a box of .380 FMJ.
View Quote

Schofield Ace is the most overpriced and elitist place that I know of. They definitely don't like to deal with the working man and ammo prices are outrageous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL WHAT?! Hilarious, honestly the employees there are some of the nicest people.  My guess is you said something that pissed them off.

My vote is for Sharp Shooters in Greenville, due to the employees thinking so highly of themselves.  Or PSA (not because of the attitude, but because no one is ever working behind the counter, the employees are always nice though).
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a younger tall skinny dude at Sharpshooters.

Don't recall his name but he is a very good salesman.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL WHAT?! Hilarious, honestly the employees there are some of the nicest people.  My guess is you said something that pissed them off.

My vote is for Sharp Shooters in Greenville, due to the employees thinking so highly of themselves.  Or PSA (not because of the attitude, but because no one is ever working behind the counter, the employees are always nice though).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How often do you go there? I won't go back. They act like they are the only place that sells guns anywhere around here. Maybe I've always caught them on bad days but I've been there ALOT in the past.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Tony's guns has now reduced their hours:

SUNDAY: CLOSED
MONDAY CLOSED
TUESDAY: CLOSE
WEDNESDAY: 3-6pm
THURSDAY: 3-6pm
FRIDAY: 3-6pm
SATURDAY:1-6pm

Gee, that's too bad. I guess that's what happens when you display inventory with no prices on them, lie to people, and insult them and tell them to leave when they're browsing vs. actively buying one's overpriced shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, open only 14 hours a week!!
I have been in there twice in my life and was never impressed, except for the immense selection hanging on the wall.

Does Bill even still work there? I sure miss him from Simpsons.

Quoted:

MONDAY CLOSED

Gee, that's too bad. I guess that's what happens when you display inventory with no prices on them, lie to people, and insult them and tell them to leave when they're browsing vs. actively buying one's overpriced shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Tony's real gravy boat is his bingo parlor next door......... His prices are high and you would have to be to pay them. about 5 years ago I had a plunger tube on a 1911 fail and they did a crap job of fixing it. Re-staked the old one vs putting a new one on that cost $10. Their job failed on the second shot...... I bought the $50 staking tool and an new plunger tube and fixed it myself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have been in there twice in my life and was never impressed, except for the immense selection hanging on the wall.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MONDAY CLOSED

No, he doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How often do you go there? I won't go back. They act like they are the only place that sells guns anywhere around here. Maybe I've always caught them on bad days but I've been there ALOT in the past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geez in Walhalla they sort of are the only thing there lol.  I used to frequent them for many years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Geez in Walhalla they sort of are the only thing there lol.  I used to frequent them for many years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that is true but theres several other shops right down the road...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I went to Lawmen's yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised with the staff. They were helpful and very courteous, and one guy kept showing me different guns they had in. I'll definitely be returning to purchase one of their USPs
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Always have tried to visit Lexington Firearms (on #1 near the high school)...till yesterday, when I found out they have a $75 transfer fee.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Always have tried to visit Lexington Firearms (on #1 near the high school)...till yesterday, when I found out they have a $75 transfer fee.
View Quote

Are you talking about Lexington Firearms and Gunworks? The last gun I transferred through them was only $30.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are you talking about Lexington Firearms and Gunworks? The last gun I transferred through them was only $30.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and they told me $75 Thursday.  Guess business is slow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At $75, it's going to come to a stop. That's outrageous for a simple transfer. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#42]
We charge $30 for a standard firearm transfer.  We charge $75 for a Class 3 transfer.  Perhaps there was a misunderstanding about the nature of the transfer. Sorry for any confusion. We try to keep our prices as low as possible and our customer service level as high as possible. If you ever have any questions or concerns about Lexington Firearms & Gun Works, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. If I'm not available, I WILL return your call or email promptly.

Thank you all for your patronage since 2009,

Hans D. Miller, Owner
Lexington Firearms & Gun Works, LLC
1600 W. Main Street
Lexington, SC. 29072
803-356-4458 phone
803-356-0379 fax
www.shop.LexingtonGunWorks.com
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Miller. Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We charge $30 for a standard firearm transfer.  We charge $75 for a Class 3 transfer.  Perhaps there was a misunderstanding about the nature of the transfer. Sorry for any confusion. We try to keep our prices as low as possible and our customer service level as high as possible. If you ever have any questions or concerns about Lexington Firearms & Gun Works, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. If I'm not available, I WILL return your call or email promptly.

Thank you all for your patronage since 2009,

Hans D. Miller, Owner
Lexington Firearms & Gun Works, LLC
1600 W. Main Street
Lexington, SC. 29072
803-356-4458 phone
803-356-0379 fax
www.shop.LexingtonGunWorks.com
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification Hans.

20 pushups for d16man...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Worst one I've been in was The Firing Line in Spartanburg.  I took a new shooter from work to their range.  We were filling out all the paperwork to shoot and next thing I know one of the employees starts opening up my range bag and gun cases; never even asked.
We were the only ones inside the range but were watched the whole time by a guy standing 3 feet behind us.  I'll never go back again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't believe that no one has mentioned Blue Line Shooting Center in Flo town. Overpriced, and poor attitudes. Worst experience I have ever had as a customer in a brick and mortar establishment. Oh yeah, Schofields is definitely overpriced also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top