Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2014 6:27:18 AM EDT
PSA

Don't leave anything of value in you car or truck.  Last night someone stole my CERT backpack and a backpack containing a laptop and several gift cards from my truck.  They also got 100 rounds of 9mm.  Several neighbors were hit too.  No weapons were in the truck.  The police were hopeful that they used the gas gift cards at one of the local gas stations and might have them on video.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have wanted to get a video security system.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't suggest any specific brands, but look for one that has a DVR and can be monitored via the net.  That way you can check on it anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you leave your truck unlocked or did they break a window?  I have heard that a number of break-ins in MtP have happened in Park West, Brickyard, and Belle Hall now that school rats are out and about.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my doors doesn't always lock when I use my key fob.  I figure they opened that door.  I told my wife we may need to replace her dog because he did do anything.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you leave your truck unlocked or did they break a window?  I have heard that a number of break-ins in MtP have happened in Park West, Brickyard, and Belle Hall now that school rats are out and about.
View Quote

Park West and Brickyard are well known for that issue.  Our neighborhood is usually quite.  I just spoke to ADT about adding cameras.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Our neighborhood off Longpoint was hit about three / four months ago. Thieves were very brazen, they rummaged through every unlocked car on the entire street.  Even cars parked in well lighted areas.    Probably happened 2-4 a.m.

What part of Mt. P  ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Our neighborhood off Longpoint was hit about three / four months ago. Thieves were very brazen, they rummaged through every unlocked car on the entire street.  Even cars parked in well lighted areas.    Probably happened 2-4 a.m.

What part of Mt. P  ?
View Quote

My car was near a streetlight and under an exterior light from the house.  They hit almost 10 cars.

I am north of 41 near 17.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
After the incident I installed additional motion lights.
Came across some online that have video capability that will record about two weeks of surveilance then erases and rerecords.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Neighbor had a handgun stolen out of his vehicle . It was parked up close to the house and well lit.  I don't
think light is much of a deterrent to these individuals.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
No guns lost.  Reminds me I need secure my pistol every night.  I am a bit worried that they know I have weapons after finding my ammo.

40% youths from Awendaw-Georgetown
40 % local youths
20% crackheads
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have wanted to get a video security system.  Any suggestions?

View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/624112_CCTV_cameras_101_____Table_of_Contents_in_OP____Updated_17_Apr.html

TheGrayMan has the answers you seek.

My advice on cameras: Have some visible for deterrence and some hidden for countermeasures.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:51:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No guns lost.  Reminds me I need secure my pistol every night.
View Quote

You have to be reminded to do this?

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No guns lost.  Reminds me I need secure my pistol every night.

Yep.  Complacency is a bitch.  I have been driving 30 years with no breakins so it is easy to assume it is safe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:12:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/624112_CCTV_cameras_101_____Table_of_Contents_in_OP____Updated_17_Apr.html

TheGrayMan has the answers you seek.

My advice on cameras: Have some visible for deterrence and some hidden for countermeasures.
View Quote

Thanks for the link tabraha. I've been looking for something exactly like this to get cameras set up for my house.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI ADT will add camera to a system. The price is $160 per wireless camera installed.  They have an app that will send you screen caps when there is motion.  It is also "monitored" but I am not sure what that includes.  Still thinking about doing it myself.  I know local police officer than did his own.

Thinking about this one

Amazon link
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I was able to find out where my gas card was used........

North Charleston.  I am shocked.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Any chance the gas station has camera footage of the transaction at the pump ?

I have not heard of any progress in regards to the investigation that took place in our neighborhood. (gas cards were stolen also)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure on the video..  I called the Detective working an ID theft case for me and gave him the details.  He said he would talk to the supervisor and let them know there was a lead.  He said usually these are deadends.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The police found them on the video. They also had another lead based on an item stolen from my neighbor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top