Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 6:42:32 AM EDT
Any diesel truck owners have an opinion on who sells good quality diesel fuel in Canada?  Driving the Alcan soon.  About 10 years ago I got diesel fuel at a Husky station and had very good power and fuel mileage out of it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what part of the country you are in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TnMike] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Striker:
not sure about out west but out east..all the gas stations get their fuel from the same refinery..
View Quote
That's my understanding as well. Down south in the Gulf area, the refineries all pump into the same pipeline. So, really it's all the same fuel, just different names. The only difference at the pump would be if the tanker truck driver decides to dump in the additives.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Striker:
you can always stop at a Canadian tire or any of the big automotive type box stores and pick up a jug of fuel conditioner..
View Quote
Yeah, I usually run some fuel additives these days due to the ULSD fuel.  I was just amazed last time I drove through how much better my truck ran after using fuel from a Husky station.  I was in Dawson Creek and ended up BS'ing with a guy about diesel fuel and he told me to try Husky stations and that I would get 2 mpg better mileage.  I though yeah...ok.  All be darn if he wasn't correct.  I couldn't believe how much better my truck ran.  Not sure what the US or Alaska is doing to the diesel fuel, but it sucked in comparison to that tank full that I got at that Husky station.  I have an extra aluminum fuel tank in the bed of my pickup that holds about 100 gallons, so I was bummed when I finally ran out of what I had left in it when I got back to Anchorage.

With ULSD now, it should be interesting...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blademan:

Yeah, I usually run some fuel additives these days due to the ULSD fuel.  I was just amazed last time I drove through how much better my truck ran after using fuel from a Husky station.  I was in Dawson Creek and ended up BS'ing with a guy about diesel fuel and he told me to try Husky stations and that I would get 2 mpg better mileage.  I though yeah...ok.  All be darn if he wasn't correct.  I couldn't believe how much better my truck ran.  Not sure what the US or Alaska is doing to the diesel fuel, but it sucked in comparison to that tank full that I got at that Husky station.  I have an extra aluminum fuel tank in the bed of my pickup that holds about 100 gallons, so I was bummed when I finally ran out of what I had left in it when I got back to Anchorage.

With ULSD now, it should be interesting...
View Quote
I wonder if it was aircraft fuel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Blademan:
Any diesel truck owners have an opinion on who sells good quality diesel fuel in Canada?  Driving the Alcan soon.  About 10 years ago I got diesel fuel at a Husky station and had very good power and fuel mileage out of it.
View Quote

Husky gets all their fuel from Petro Canada. Out west there is 3 refineries around Edmonton. Esso, Petro Canada and by Fort Saskatchewan Shell has a diesel refinery. Shell has V Power Diesel.

V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.[11]

V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.

One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.

The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.

Shell also markets a different "premium" diesel in Canada labeled V-Power, which they state "Is specially formulated for year-round Canadian weather conditions, with a cetane improver, a de-icer and a corrosion inhibitor."[12] but Shell also states that V-Power diesel will typically have an increased cetane rating of 1 to 2 points over standard diesel, which meets Transport Canada's minimum mandated rating of 40.[13] This Canadian V-Power diesel is dispensed from a dedicated pump that injects a measured amount of NEMO 2061 additive into the diesel supply shared with the other diesel pumps at the service station.[14] As a result, it contains no GTL components beyond those that may already exist in the shared diesel supply.

I notice the farther south in the US you go the crappy the diesel is and my truck runs like carp due to the low Cetane rating of the fuel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome info RebelRouser.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The absolute top-notch best cold-weather diesel fuel is processed by the Irving refinery in New Brunswick.

I worked for the company stateside .

Irving (blue ) diesel is rated to -60 F before any gelling occurs that temp is actual temp , not windchill .

I have personally used Irving blue cold weather diesel in -50f temp with no gelling or cloudiness whatsoever.

Most American diesels even once that have been treated for cold-weather cannot compare whatsoever.

Irving oil blue winter rated diesel is best diesel !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top