BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally!

Here is Gary Marbut's update just now:
HB 102, MSSA's flagship bill to eliminate dangerous "gun free zones," has been transmitted to Governor Gianforte.  We are told that Gianforte is anxious to sign HB 102.  My best guess is that the signing will happen today or tomorrow.

All portions of HB 102 except campus carry have an immediate effective date.  Campus carry has an effective date of June 1, 2021.

I am preparing a full explanation of the effects of HB 102 for you and will release that when HB 102 is signed.  Stay tuned for that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking this should be quickly signed !

KC

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/law0210W$BSIV.ActionQuery?P_BILL_DFT_NO5=LC1333&Z_ACTION=Find&P_Sess=20211
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finally!

HB 102, MSSA's flagship bill to eliminate dangerous "gun free zones," has been transmitted to Governor Gianforte.  We are told that Gianforte is anxious to sign HB 102.  My best guess is that the signing will happen today or tomorrow.

All portions of HB 102 except campus carry have an immediate effective date.  Campus carry has an effective date of June 1, 2021.

I am preparing a full explanation of the effects of HB 102 for you and will release that when HB 102 is signed.  Stay tuned for that.

View Quote
Thanks, Country!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Finally!

HB 102, MSSA's flagship bill to eliminate dangerous "gun free zones," has been transmitted to Governor Gianforte.  We are told that Gianforte is anxious to sign HB 102.  My best guess is that the signing will happen today or tomorrow.

All portions of HB 102 except campus carry have an immediate effective date.  Campus carry has an effective date of June 1, 2021.

I am preparing a full explanation of the effects of HB 102 for you and will release that when HB 102 is signed.  Stay tuned for that.

View Quote

Is this a mailing list I should be a part of?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is this a mailing list I should be a part of?
View Quote

Yes! Drop him a line that you are interested in being added.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The suspense is killing me.

Been waiting at least 3 legislative sessions for this to get signed.

Last guy said he would probably sign it, too.

Fuck that guy. For several reasons.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#7]
https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billhtml/HB0258.htm

HB258 "Montana Federal Firearm, Magazine, and Ammunition Ban Enforcement Prohibition Act" is tabled in the House Judiciary. Could probably use some calls and emails to get a push going. Sheriffs association is hoping it dies.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
HB 258 needs some help from all of us. It is opposed by the Montana Sheriff and Peace Officers Assoc. Which are most likely out of touch with your local Sheriff.

Two elected Sheriff spoke in support of HB 258, Sheriff Slaughter of Cascade Co and Sheriff Rummel of Sanders Co. Call your local Sheriff Office and ask to speak to the elected Sheriff in your county. Be polite and urge them to contact the MSPOA to support this bill. I can't imagine our local leo want to be assisting any feds in violating our RKBA.

The House Judiciary Committee members need to hear from us as well. Reach out to the Republicans especially, to get this bill moving forward. I also plan to call my house member to voice support of this bill to the committee and chairman Usher.

This exact bill passed both the house and senate the past 3 sessions and has a good chance to be signed into law if we can turn up the pressure.

It is a bit demoralizing to see our house members cave to the MSPOA instead of listening to the people who put them there.

Let's dial it up folks, this is a good bill that should be moved forward.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Small bit from Gary M's email:

"The Representatives who I expected to vote for HB 258 but did not are Reps.: Regier, Carlson, Stromswold, Berglee, Fleming, Gillette, Skees, and Usher. These are the people who went along with pressure from MSPOA. Some were confused by the vote, some were missing and had a proxy voted by others, and some just followed Chairman Usher out of loyalty. But, it was a recorded vote. If you contact these legislators, be nice even if firm. These people are usually our friends.

MSSA will work to get HB 258 revived, but we must have your help by getting your local sheriff to control MSPOA."
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Small bit from Gary M's email:

"The Representatives who I expected to vote for HB 258 but did not are Reps.: Regier, Carlson, Stromswold, Berglee, Fleming, Gillette, Skees, and Usher. These are the people who went along with pressure from MSPOA. Some were confused by the vote, some were missing and had a proxy voted by others, and some just followed Chairman Usher out of loyalty. But, it was a recorded vote. If you contact these legislators, be nice even if firm. These people are usually our friends.

MSSA will work to get HB 258 revived, but we must have your help by getting your local sheriff to control MSPOA."
View Quote

Regier & Skees?  That surprises me.

I'll contact them ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Regier & Skees?  That surprises me.

I'll contact them ASAP.
View Quote

I am surprised by all on that list. Burglee is the Rep that sponsored and carried HB102 and then he cucks on this.... doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I had my Representative call Usher to urge him to bring this bill back to Committee.... I just received a voice-mail from him to call him back. I will update a bit later when I have a moment to call him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Just called my rep and left a message to have 258 brought out of committee. Let's see if he calls me back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just called my rep and left a message to have 258 brought out of committee. Let's see if he calls me back.
View Quote

Same.

I'll post any responses I get.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I had to email Rep Usher, as he does not have voice-mail. He responded that he and all of the R Reps in committee are supportive of hb 258. He and the others have concerns that the opposition could kill the bill on the house floor unless some changes are made. So once they work through some amendments with the sponsor and MSSA, they plan to bring the bill back and fully support it.

Hopefully, they get it done sooner rather then later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had to email Rep Usher, as he does not have voice-mail. He responded that he and all of the R Reps in committee are supportive of hb 258. He and the others have concerns that the opposition could kill the bill on the house floor unless some changes are made. So once they work through some amendments with the sponsor and MSSA, they plan to bring the bill back and fully support it.

Hopefully, they get it done sooner rather then later.
View Quote

Did he indicate what kind off changes might be made?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, that kind of worries me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I feel the same way. But I stated my concerns clearly.

He did say he and the R's support the intent of this bill and of the rkba.

I suppose they have demonstrated good intent and passed hb102 so maybe we should give the committee the benefit of the doubt? They know what dangers lie ahead if the bill is not crafted properly and it is killed on the floor. Usher still has the ability to help this bill and sees a path forward for it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Aaron Flint just mentioned HB 258 and it being tabled on his morning radio show.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Any news on why Gianforte hasn't signed HB102 yet? Wasn't it supposed to be a priority for him?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any news on why Gianforte hasn't signed HB102 yet? Wasn't it supposed to be a priority for him?
View Quote

This is what I want to know. I thought he was supposed to be excited about signing this one. What the hell is he waiting for?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Sheriff and local cops don't want to lose any federal funding.

Support for your rights only goes so far.

Proposed amendments. They want to remove the "assisting" portion, meaning they can help the Feds..... which is the point of the bill...

HB 258 – MSPOA Amendments
Amendment #1
Strike from the word assisting on line 3 through the word implementing on line 6.
NEW SECTION. Section 4. Prohibition of enforcement. (1) A peace officer, state employee, or employee of a political subdivision is prohibited from enforcing, assisting in the enforcement of, or otherwise cooperating in the enforcement of a federal ban on firearms, magazines, or ammunition and is also prohibited from participating in any federal enforcement action implementing a federal ban on firearms, magazines, or ammunition.
Amendment #2
Strike the word violent on line 12.
NEW SECTION. Section 4. Prohibition of enforcement.(1) A peace officer, state
employee, or employee of a political subdivision is prohibited from enforcing, assisting in the enforcement of, or otherwise cooperating in the enforcement of a federal ban on firearms, magazines, or ammunition and is also prohibited from participating in any federal enforcement action implementing a federal ban on firearms, magazines, or ammunition.
(2) An employee of the state or a political subdivision may not expend public funds or allocate public resources for the enforcement of a federal ban on firearms, magazines, or ammunition.
(3) [Sections 1 through 4] do not apply to:
(a) the possession or use of a fully automatic firearm that will fire continuously with only one pull of the trigger;
(b) the enforcement of any federal or state law prohibiting a person with a violent felony conviction from possessing a firearm;
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So it's done for?
View Quote

Not at all, basically like Country described above, shelved to hash out some perceived "issues".
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
This...

(2) An employee of the state or a political subdivision may not expend public funds or allocate public resources for the enforcement of a federal ban on firearms, magazines, or ammunition.

Basically says the same thing as the previous (1) but alot less wordy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is what I want to know. I thought he was supposed to be excited about signing this one. What the hell is he waiting for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the way it sounded, I expected HB 102 to be signed when it hit his desk. I still assume he will get it done, he has 5 days or so left to actually sign it. Maybe I am watching the pot expecting it to boil?

As far as 258 goes.... I guess we can wait and see when they bring it forward in committee, if they make some crappy amendments that make it a "nothing burger", then we will have to let the HJC know our disappointment and waste of time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
HB102, Permitless Carry, will be SIGNED TODAY! If you're interested in viewing the signing ceremony, you can watch it livestreamed at https://leg.mt.gov/audio-video/
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
HB102, Permitless Carry, will be SIGNED TODAY! If you're interested in viewing the signing ceremony, you can watch it livestreamed at https://leg.mt.gov/audio-video/
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is great!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked at your link but didn't find anything about the signing ceremony.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Gary Marbut's full analysis

Eta: Complete wall of text. Be warned.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome!

Now to get HB258 through!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gary Marbut's full analysis

Eta: Complete wall of text. Be warned.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#37]
It's done. HB102 is now law. Let the liberals scream at the sky!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

THERE WILL BE BOOD RUNNING IN THE STREETS!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am RIGID!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#43]
That's great news HB102 was finally signed by Governor Gianforte !!

Sent him an email on the 12th and have not had a reply?

Here's the detailed bill information:

KC

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0203W$BSRV.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20211&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=HB&P_BILL_NO=102&P_BILL_DFT_NO=&P_CHPT_NO=&Z_ACTION=Find&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ2=&P_SBJT_SBJ_CD=&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ=
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#44]
We heard this on the radio as we were driving to Helena for the wife's VA appt.  The first words out of my wife's mouth?  "How much were those Crossbreed holsters again?  Or do we go Alien Gear?"  We go right by Alien Gear every time we go to see her dad in Spokane, and Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula is an authorized Crossbreed dealer(well.....until Cabelas decides to close it's doors).
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#45]
could somebody please email me a copy of the signed HR102. I am unable to download the PDF from my current location.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I was spinning my tires due to all the blood on the street this morning.

Oh wait, no, that was snow.

Never mind, carry on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Did anybody read Gary M's analysis that I posted above?

He has an interesting take on things. There are no actual laws broken if you do cc into an establishment that posts a sign. All they can do is ask you to leave if they find that you are cc.

Also, the restricted areas or buildings allowed by hb 102 must be individually indicated that there are no weapons allowed. Am I reading that right? I did not notice that there aren't any laws broken for cc in those areas either?

Am I understanding that correctly? Please discuss.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Did anybody read Gary M's analysis that I posted above?

He has an interesting take on things. There are no actual laws broken if you do cc into an establishment that posts a sign. All they can do is ask you to leave if they find that you are cc.

Also, the restricted areas or buildings allowed by hb 102 must be individually indicated that there are no weapons allowed. Am I reading that right? I did not notice that there are any laws broken for cc in those areas either?

Am I understanding that correctly? Please discuss.
View Quote

I read it. Yes, you are correct. The prohibited places have all been removed (if you have a permit) from the law. Section 4 lists the places where someone with a permit may be prohibited or restricted from carrying. This section does not allow for fines or jail time. All it allows these places to do is to kick someone out. If one of these places happen to be your employer, they can fire you. Of course, federal property is going to be regulated federally. But as I read it, you can pretty much carry anywhere now. I think we just got the best carry laws in the country.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Check out this guy's mask

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top