Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 2:37:10 PM EDT
wife and i are prob going to be there early June (wedding in florida, driving to NO)

I know ZERO about the area.  Will prob only be there 1-2 nights.  

Any must do's?  any must NOT do's?   Areas to avoid?

Guess i dont even know what to do when we get there.  I like beer...lots of beer.  (no booze...lol)

looking for a hotel---maybe something within safe walking of Bourbon Street?

Bonus points if anyone has an info on Pensacola/Panama Beach...stopping there on way to NO

thanks all-- I do appreciate it!

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Acme Oyoster House is over rated.

Dragos is the best
Cafe Deumon  is a classic
The French Market is good.
District Donuts

WW2 museum is great
You can also ride a PT Boat around Lake Pontchartrain
Magazine  Street
Avery Island

Do NOT wear Beads out of season.

Total height Mask Nazi going on right now.

But I have not been about two years myself.
I heard petty theft was up in the Fremch Quarter. But can not confirm this

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/New-Orleans-Things-to-do-/58-526723/

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a tacked thread at the top of this forum with many answers for you. Some may not apply in Covid 19 world.

Every place in N.O. is hurting for business, so you might be able to get some deals. Summer time is usually slow for the hotels, but I don't know what they'll do relative to what they're doing now in quarantine time.

Try looking at the smaller places like Hotel St. Pierre or the Andrew Jackson. Maybe the Frenchman, just outside the Quarter, but great for the music scene on Frenchman street (contingent on being allowed to have live music in June). Otherwise all of the major hotel chains have some place in or near the Quarter. BTW, The WWII Museum has its own hotel now, but I do not know anything about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I second or third the WW2 museum. If on bourbon street stay on burbon street and you should be fine. Stay off the back alleys and such.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
couple more questions -- it look like we will be there for only one day./night

Bourbon street:  is there a "better" section of this street we should try to stick to?  --like Bourbon St. is best between xxxxx and xxx streets...

we will be coming from Pensacola--anything we can do/see on the route into NO?  the afternoon will be bourbon street of course getting drank on, but looking for something to do late morning/early afternoon..

how long of trip (car) from bourbon street area to airport?  -- actual time, not google route time--- just planning for airport show time

cant wait to check it out-- and thanks for all the help!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I frequent the bars between Conti and St. Peter. Sometimes I will go as far as Lafitte's but it's residential after that.

I'm friends with most of the rock bands that play on Bourbon.  Famous Door on Conti is still rotating bands on the weekend due to their house band booking so many non-Bourbon Street gigs.  Their fill in bands are also very good.  Fat Catz on St. Louis has their house band back on Friday and Saturday.  My favorite band and also some of my best friends.  By the time you get there, Bandstand (across the street) should have live music.  Krazy Korner on St. Peter has a few bands rotating in on weekends.  The cajun band in the afternoon is really good.

Beer is expensive on Bourbon.  Go to the Copper Monkey on Conti or B Mac's on St. Louis and save a lot.  If you are there on a Tuesday, B Mac's has crawfish.  3 Legged Dog on Conti and Burgundy also has crawfish.  Too bad they aren't open 24 hours though.  Midnight crawfish is great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
THANKS ALL!

plans may be changing....may be cutting out NO alltogether...car rental has gotten full retard--literally much cheaper for us to drive down in our own car than rent one...

will see...
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Bourbon to airport by car is roughly 30 minutes, minimum. Longer in high traffic times. Also longer if anything happens on Interstate - there are few alternate routes heading that way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
welp-- officially NOT heading to NO...

car rental price, and panama city and Pensacola were retarded expensive that week. (Memorial day)

staying at brothers in Jacksonville and heading to Charleston for a couple days

driving donw for all of it--fuck the car rental places

saving us about 2k on this trip. (gotta save for a Hawaii trip in october...)

thx all fro the suggestions.  NO is still on the list...someday..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top