Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2021 10:11:36 PM EDT
Is there any reason in the world why we should have to pay 7% tax on PMs?? Can someone recommend a representative to ask about this? I saw somewhere that a few reps introduced a bill earlier this year but not sure where it stands. Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2021/pdf/history/HB/HB0376.xml

Looks like the exemption bill died in committee,  

I'd start with reps that introduced it. They'll usually tell you if something actually has a chance of making it to the floor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By miker84:
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2021/pdf/history/HB/HB0376.xml

Looks like the exemption bill died in committee,  

I'd start with reps that introduced it. They'll usually tell you if something actually has a chance of making it to the floor.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I reached out to Zuber and Lamar. Hopefully I will hear something back from them. I just think it’s ludicrous to lay sales tax when buying literal US currency with Silver or gold eagles or junk silver.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw a couple new bulls introduced this year. Looks like one passed the house but got shut down after that. Any other information out there?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I only saw a House bill that never made it out of committee.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By miker84:
I only saw a House bill that never made it out of committee.

View Quote

Ahh got ya! I may have misread the info! Hope we can get this done soon!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not familiar with the tax law that you mention.

Are you talking about mining precious metals on your property or buying precious metals (like gold coins or bullion)?

Or does the state tax gold and silver coins/jewelry/bullion every year like it does real estate?  If so, how do they know that you have it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:
I am not familiar with the tax law that you mention.

Are you talking about mining precious metals on your property or buying precious metals (like gold coins or bullion)?

Or does the state tax gold and silver coins/jewelry/bullion every year like it does real estate?  If so, how do they know that you have it?
View Quote

Sorry for the delayed response. I am referring to the taxation of precious metals (gold/silver/platinum) bought through an online dealer such as apmex, SD Bullion, Provident metals, etc. The site charges a sales tax for MS residents because we don't have any laws in place to avoid that taxation. IMO it is pure theft to tax someone on the purchase of sound money. Hopefully something gets done about this next year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top