Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2020 9:19:02 PM EDT
I'm currently in VA and we have personal property tax that applies things that are registered.

I noticed Mississippi has a similar "tax" on vehicles when you register them.

What is the general tax burden in the state?

Basically looking at a 200k house near the gulf. I have a tax free disability pension in Virginia and a 2019 and 2018 vehicle.

There are charts online but figured I'd ask here.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on the north end of the state, so I can't comment on the coast.

The car tags are a shock to people who come from states with a relatively fixed tag cost. TN used to be like $75 so half the cars in North MS had Shelby Co, TN tags.

I've got a 2007 vehicle and the tax portion of the tag is like $9, and the total is about $40.

I've got a 2016 vehicle and the tax portion is over $300, and the total is about $400. There's some misc tax credits that get the tag "down" to that amount.

Sales tax is generally 7% across the state, but a few  localities have extra sales tax and some have restaurant/hotel/tourist tax on top of that.

Property taxes (house and land) also vary a good bit.

For me it boiled down to a wash compared to where I was living in Memphis. At the time, the sales taxes were significantly higher in MEM and the property tax on a cookie cutter zero-lot house in Memphis was way more than acreage and a house in North MS...even with MS having income tax. When you add the crime and schools to the mix, its still a no-brainer for me to stay where I am for now.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4HShooter] [#2]
Lucky you @leadnbrass

I moved to Virginia from the gulf coast of Mississippi just last year. Mississippi does NOT have the personal property tax on vehicles. When you register your vehicle there, you will pay a bit higher amount. I just renewed my tags for Virginia and my 2010 Silverado was roughly 50 bucks for a year. In Mississippi it was about 100. So not terrible at all.

What part of the coast are you looking at? IMO 200k doesn't go terribly far depending on location. Feel free to PM

Edit: I agree with miker, newer vehicles will definitely have a higher registration fee, I had a 2017 vehicle in Mississippi that was right around 300 a year if I recall correctly
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
So far looking into Ocean Springs or Gulfport though on the northern end. There is a builder (I believe Harris?) That does small 1400-1500 sq ft cottages with 2 car garage for 185k-200k. Its just my wife and I now so the smaller is better.

I really like the area and miss the salt water though im not to keen on hurricanes.

It really seems like a inexpensive state. Tennessee is also in the running but its getting pretty expensive and seems to be growing rapidly.

I visited my son at Keesler a few years back and something keeps drawing me to the area.

Currently I livenin the Shenadoah Valley so I can think of less scenic places to be but im afraid Virginia may be lost for good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in saucier (just outside of Gulfport north about 15 minutes) and would go back in a heartbeat if needed. I moved to va for a job opportunity and plan on going back after my contract is up especially how va is going downhill and turning too blue
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By miker84:
I'm on the north end of the state, so I can't comment on the coast.

The car tags are a shock to people who come from states with a relatively fixed tag cost. TN used to be like $75 so half the cars in North MS had Shelby Co, TN tags.

I've got a 2007 vehicle and the tax portion of the tag is like $9, and the total is about $40.

I've got a 2016 vehicle and the tax portion is over $300, and the total is about $400. There's some misc tax credits that get the tag "down" to that amount.

Sales tax is generally 7% across the state, but a few  localities have extra sales tax and some have restaurant/hotel/tourist tax on top of that.

Property taxes (house and land) also vary a good bit.

For me it boiled down to a wash compared to where I was living in Memphis. At the time, the sales taxes were significantly higher in MEM and the property tax on a cookie cutter zero-lot house in Memphis was way more than acreage and a house in North MS...even with MS having income tax. When you add the crime and schools to the mix, its still a no-brainer for me to stay where I am for now.

View Quote

I second this about tags.  They’ll put you into sticker shock as it is based on the value of the vehicle.

Currently in most of DeSoto county we are seeing a huge rise in home prices.  Where I’m at in Hernando you can’t find a house now for under 180k or so.  Even when you can they don’t stay on the market
More than a day or so.  It’s obscene.  The real estate agents are all the time canvassing looking for people
Looking to sell.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
word of advice...  stay the hell out of Long Beach.  

highest property tax in the state, highest car tags on coast as well.  

Happy wife, happy life, right?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Property taxes vary by county. Cities have their own taxes which, in most counties, is collected together with county taxes.  

We lived in the City of Jackson/Hinds County for 25 years. Property taxes were almost double what they are now that we are on the coast in an unincorporated area of Jackson County.  

The same millage rates apply to cars, land, houses, etc., but they have different discount factors and various exemptions.  

The rates are posted on the Mississippi Department of Revenue website.  Millage rates

I believe there are exmeptions, at least on a primary residence, if you are over 65 or disabled.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#8]
Originally Posted By Wags:
Property taxes vary by county. Cities have their own taxes which, in most counties, is collected together with county taxes.  

We lived in the City of Jackson/Hinds County for 25 years. Property taxes were almost double what they are now that we are on the coast in an unincorporated area of Jackson County.  

The same millage rates apply to cars, land, houses, etc., but they have different discount factors and various exemptions.  

The rates are posted on the Mississippi Department of Revenue website.  Millage rates

I believe there are exmeptions, at least on a primary residence, if you are over 65 or disabled.
View Quote

Yes, its all about location.  We moved from Gulfport (in Harrison County) where I was born and lived until recently out into the country in rural northwest Harrison County, out of the city limits.  Zoning also matters.  We live on 20 acres, zoned agricultural.  Property tax and vehicle tag (ad valorum tax) fell dramatically.  Also, the county school tax piece of it is much lower than the city school district piece.

Cost of living here is much lower than most other places, so its great for retirees.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Yes, its all about location.  We moved from Gulfport (in Harrison County) where I was born and lived until recently out into the country in rural northwest Harrison County, out of the city limits.  Zoning also matters.  We live on 20 acres, zoned agricultural.  Property tax and vehicle tag (ad valorum tax) fell dramatically.  Also, the county school tax piece of it is much lower than the city school district piece.

Cost of living here is much lower than most other places, so its great for retirees.
View Quote
Gonna be worth a hell of a lot more in the coming years. Especially with the new middle school going up by the high school. I shouldn't have sold my house there
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
@Kaik. Kaik should have some insight into property stuff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By leadnbrass:
So far looking into Ocean Springs or Gulfport though on the northern end. There is a builder (I believe Harris?) That does small 1400-1500 sq ft cottages with 2 car garage for 185k-200k. Its just my wife and I now so the smaller is better.

I really like the area and miss the salt water though im not to keen on hurricanes.

It really seems like a inexpensive state. Tennessee is also in the running but its getting pretty expensive and seems to be growing rapidly.

I visited my son at Keesler a few years back and something keeps drawing me to the area.

Currently I livenin the Shenadoah Valley so I can think of less scenic places to be but im afraid Virginia may be lost for good.
View Quote

Aww. I could have sold you this one.
Attachment Attached File

Property tax isn't that bad if you file homestead exemption.

Vehicle tags are expensive. My truck tag would have been like $1000 if it would have been a county instead of a state tag.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top