Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 7:02:48 PM EDT
Hey guys, so I thought I'd contribute something that may be helpful. I noticed there isn't a gun smiths list in the "Important Threads" sticky section. I realize some might be gun shops too but I thought this may expidite things more. I have experience with JR's, Harold does great work. I've attempted to give Umlaut gun smithing business in the past but both times I called his prices were significantly higher than every other gun smith in the area and out of state.

JR's Gunsmithing
Londonderry, NH
Owner/Operator: Harold
MWF 5pm-9pm
603-437-1075 shop

Umlaut
Hooksett, NH
603-210-5075 shop
603-369-9146 mobile

George Spaulding
Northwood, NH
603-568-4659 mobile

Fred Norton
Canterbury, NH
603-783-4100

CFR Gunsmithing
Rick Hiland
603-224-9264
(mainly does custom 1911 stuff)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Umlaut doesn't actually do "smithing". He contracts it out to others, which is why the prices are so high. If it requires more than a wrench, he'll send it off elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used Lars, George and Fred. Lars did a simple castle nut staking for me. George helped me out with stripped bushings in my 1911; awesome guy. Fred's doing some work for me at the moment actually.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. Do any of you know if one of smiths I mentioned or any others in NH that specialize in AK builds/smithing? Also, who would be best for pinning a muzzle device to a 14.5 barrel and pinning a gas block for an AR? If no one really stands out I'll probably just go for JR's again. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys. Do any of you know if one of smiths I mentioned or any others in NH that specialize in AK builds/smithing? Also, who would be best for pinning a muzzle device to a 14.5 barrel and pinning a gas block for an AR? If no one really stands out I'll probably just go for JR's again. Thanks again.
View Quote

If you don't want to send it off to be permanently attached (I'd use Adco for that type of work), then Lars at Umlaut would be the guy I'd use. He's pretty competent when it comes to working on AR's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder who else is out there lurking...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That wood furniture looks nice

How does it hold up to heat?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Short of firing ridiculously long strings without any cooling between, I think it should hold up quite well...having said that, I haven't tested it's resistance to a super-hot barrel.  It is a custom AR10 built around an ArmaLite lower, the owner is from Michigan and wants to use it in this upcoming Fall deer season. Thank you for the inquiry, it's a great question, unfortunately, I cannot give a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the quick response

Still without knowing it is nice looking work!    Hope it holds up well for you.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try Wicked Weaponary on 28 bypass in Hooksett, Rumor on the street is that he is very good with the AK'S
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody got a good line on a place to get some AR parts (lower, FF handguard) Cerakote'd in the So NH-ish area?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
As Full9yds noted Wicked Weaponry  I too have heard about them coating guns and doing a good job of it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

JR's did a phenomenal job on my 14.5 incher... good price too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone Have any Revolver work done?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone Have any Revolver work done?
View Quote

Fred and Patrick worked on a M1901 and M1917 Colt for me recently. I haven't had a chance to shoot the M1917, but the work seems top notch (the repairs were pretty extensive involving timing, lockup and fitting new parts). The M1901 shoots great and their work met my expectations and then some. They are very thorough and competent to work on guns that many smiths will not and cannot work on; the M1901 in particular is a very tricky revolver. I didn't mind paying their rates for the level of work they did; in this regard I feel the results justify the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top