Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 2:02:49 AM EDT
Hey perhaps you guys know the answer to this - I am looking at having to work in wakefield MA and while MA is a beautiful state, i would move to NH rather than MA due to the fact that I cant bear to sell my entire gun collection.. .. in terms of commuting to MA daily is there any legal capability to have any type of firearm e.g. a trunk weapon or even a locked box etc.. I am trying to comprehend the bullshit regulations but its like it was designed specifically to be incomprehensible..  for example could I get a "non-resident' class A ?  Or is a class B license ok to just for example get a kel-tec in an unloaded state into the trunk?  what kind of challenges might I face?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Not the law here but the way I see it as long as you have a MA LTC you can carry on your person. Guns in the truck must be unloaded and in a locked case. Any mags over ten rounds must be pre-ban or keep them in NH. Collapsible stocks and bayonet lugs are a no go, no flash hiders or suppressors. Theres a lot of bullshit in the state laws, you might want to try northeastshooters.com, they will have a lot more info about both states.
Good luck with your move.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey perhaps you guys know the answer to this - I am looking at having to work in wakefield MA and while MA is a beautiful state, i would move to NH rather than MA due to the fact that I cant bear to sell my entire gun collection.. .. in terms of commuting to MA daily is there any legal capability to have any type of firearm e.g. a trunk weapon or even a locked box etc.. I am trying to comprehend the bullshit regulations but its like it was designed specifically to be incomprehensible..  for example could I get a "non-resident' class A ?  Or is a class B license ok to just for example get a kel-tec in an unloaded state into the trunk?  what kind of challenges might I face?
View Quote

For non-residents, FRB's policy is to restrict all non-resident LTC-Bs for spray only. For firearms, you will want a LTC-A. Unless you can articulate a good reason, you will probably receive a restriction. (See the cover letter on the non-resident application for information about the restrictions and the no carry outside restriction policy) The restrictions do carry the force of law, in that violating them could subject an individual to civil charges as well as any potential administrative action that FRB decides to take against your LTC or any future application to renew your LTC.  

Getting an LTC-A as a non-resident is not too difficult. You will need a homestate license. If your homestate license is restricted you will receive restrictions that are no less restrictive than those on your home state license. (NH does not issue restricted permits, so that is a non-issue). You will need to take an approved BFS course from an MA certified instructor and submit an MSP certificate with your initial application. Fee is $100 for a one year license. In some instances, with employer endorsement, you can get a license that is valid for two years. Shortly after you submit your application, you will receive an appointment date to go to Chelsea. My experience there was pleasant. They will fingerprint you (using livescan- so you won't walk around inked up after), take your license picture, and review all of your application answers- including your reason for wanting an LTC. I recommend being honest and giving them as many reasons as you have.  I got mine last year 7 months after I applied. 6 months is typical and is the recommended renewal submission interval. (Mine would have been ready sooner, but there was a delay in FRB receiving information from DMH, they were very apologetic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
we just did away with the LTC-B.  pepper spray is legal for anyone over 18, no FID/LTC required.
View Quote

Good to hear that happened.

What happened to the people who had LTC-B licenses? (I know that at one point, there was cocnern about what was going to happen to them if the legislation passed.)
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Illegal to possess guns/ammo/mags (>10 rd pre-ban) in MA w/o a MA LTC.

NR LTC isn't hard to get, just takes lots of time, lots of money (course by MA SP certified instructor and $100/yr for LTC) and an annual trip to Chelsea.

They will issue LTC-A (after  Jan 1st it is merely a LTC due to new law) with restrictions unless you can establish adequate reason why you should receive unrestricted. It will take months to receive and is only good for 1 year. If restricted you can not carry or have a loaded handgun in your possession except when at work (if employer allows) or at a range. But you could have unloaded locked up guns in your trunk and if ammo is found in your trunk you can't be prosecuted.

Best to find a job in NH too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.. sounds like the net here is ltc-a or pepper spray are the options.  Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top