Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2016 3:38:43 PM EDT
I was just given a tentative offer on a fairly good job at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The offer was unexpected so I haven't done much research on the area. I am originally from Vermont, but I don't know very much about coastal Maine. How expensive is it? Is it better to live on the NH or ME side? My son will be starting school in 2 years so I really want good schools for him. It seems every few years there are threats to close the shipyard. Does anyone have info about how stable jobs are in the area?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
After having spent a few years at the shipyard on Navy side, is the main reason I stayed around here after I got out.

I live in Manchester which is like a hour from the yard. Epping is an up and coming area which is like half way. The further you get away from Portsmouth the cheaper it will be. If you live in NH you will still have to pay ME income tax even though NH claims the Shipyard
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm from downeast but as I understand it ...
NH has no sales tax..
They make this up in property tax..
Live in ME.. shop in NH..
If I got this right than its a double win..
I'm sure to be corrected if in error..
What say ye gang??
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm from downeast but as I understand it ...
NH has no sales tax.. or income tax
They make this up in property tax..
Live in ME.. shop in NH..
If I got this right than its a double win..
I'm sure to be corrected if in error..
What say ye gang??
View Quote

Well ME has an income tax, and the courts have ruled the shipyard is in ME, so you will have to pay income tax on ME source income. Either way a state is going to get your money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top