Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2022 9:07:50 PM EDT
Hi all,  I'm trying to find out what the max capacity is for semi auto shotguns.  Is it 5 or 6?  Is there a current NJSP link to this?   I have found some older links that state not to exceed 6.  Gun shops say 5 is max.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The statute itself (2C:39-1w(3)) defines an assault firearm as being a semi-auto shotgun with a magazine capacity exceeding 6 rounds.  However the AG Guidelines on assault firearms says that a semi-auto shotgun with either a folding or telescopic stock, a pistol grip, AND a mag capacity of >5 rounds is also an assault firearm.

So - if the shotgun has a traditional stock without a pistol grip, then it can hold 6 rounds.  But if it has a pistol grip, OR it has a folding or telescoping stock, THEN it can only hold 5 rounds.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  I have a traditional stock & mag tube that holds 4.  I was interested in a +2 extension.    It's confusing sometimes how things are written.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top