Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2022 11:48:29 AM EDT
Simply put I want to know all the steps about procuring an M4 in New Jersey. From the little research I did all I've seen is that I need to get a  Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, handguns need there own permit. Is that true? All I need is the ID and no other permits or am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't lived in NJ for 6 years, so stuff may have changed.
All you need is the firearms ID, and make sure it has the compliant features.
The ID covers rifles and shotguns, once issued it is used for all purchases. It isn't a one time use like the pistol permit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the HOMETOWN/NJ FORUM
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Simply put I want to know all the steps about procuring an M4 in New Jersey. From the little research I did all I've seen is that I need to get a  Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, handguns need there own permit. Is that true? All I need is the ID and no other permits or am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View Quote

Yes, all you need is an FID card and you can purchase long guns all day, every day. An FID card is basically just a background check so you can go to the gun store and get a background check. Silly, I know. Go to any NJ dealer and you can buy an M4/AR etc. The compliance part is: no flash hider (compensator/brake is OK), compensator/brake needs to be pinned, no bayonet lug, adjustable stock needs to be pinned, 10rd mags.

Handguns require a purchase permit for each one. Only allowed to buy 1 handgun every 30 days.  Obtaining a pistol permit is the same exact procedure/application as the FID card, you just check a different box. I always apply for 3 pistol permits at a time as they are only $2 each and don't expire for 90 days (can be extended for another 90). I would apply for the FID and 3 Pistol permits at the same time, this will not slow down the process or add any additional checks, etc. Unless you don't want any pistols, then just get the FID.

Initial fid card will require fingerprints which is a one time thing. Pistol permits after procurement of FID do not require fingerprints. I've had my FID for 15yrs and had dozens of pistol permits and only had fingerprints done once.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, all you need is an FID card and you can purchase long guns all day, every day. An FID card is basically just a background check so you can go to the gun store and get a background check. Silly, I know. Go to any NJ dealer and you can buy an M4/AR etc. The compliance part is: no flash hider (compensator/brake is OK), compensator/brake needs to be pinned, no bayonet lug, adjustable stock needs to be pinned, 10rd mags.

Handguns require a purchase permit for each one. Only allowed to buy 1 handgun every 30 days.  Obtaining a pistol permit is the same exact procedure/application as the FID card, you just check a different box. I always apply for 3 pistol permits at a time as they are only $2 each and don't expire for 90 days (can be extended for another 90). I would apply for the FID and 3 Pistol permits at the same time, this will not slow down the process or add any additional checks, etc. Unless you don't want any pistols, then just get the FID.
View Quote

Thanks so much for the information. I'm just getting the M4 for now. Its an amazing weapon to shoot in the military so I'm going to get my own to keep my skills with it sharp. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks so much for the information. I'm just getting the M4 for now. Its an amazing weapon to shoot in the military so I'm going to get my own to keep my skills with it sharp. Thanks again!
View Quote

M4 is my favorite style of AR too. Where are you located? I can probably recommend a dealer or two if you don't have one in mind already.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
An actual Colt M4?  You can't.  It's a machine gun (select fire) made after 1986 (Hughes Amendment to the 1968 GCA passed as part of the 1986 FOPA).

A NJ compliant AR pattern rifle (as described above)?  Yes, a FPID.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't lived in NJ for 6 years, so stuff may have changed.
All you need is the firearms ID, and make sure it has the compliant features.
The ID covers rifles and shotguns, once issued it is used for all purchases. It isn't a one time use like the pistol permit.
View Quote

This.  Oh and it'll take at least a year to get that ID depending on what county you're in.  And they might do a "neighbor check" which means they'll ask your neighbors about you and your habits.  

Ask me how I know.  Fuck NJ, best thing I ever did was leave that dump after 5 years of living there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Initial fid card will require fingerprints which is a one time thing. Pistol permits after procurement of FID do not require fingerprints. I've had my FID for 15yrs and had dozens of pistol permits and only had fingerprints done once.
View Quote

That just sounds awful. So glad I live in a free state

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.  Oh and it'll take at least a year to get that ID depending on what county you're in.  And they might do a "neighbor check" which means they'll ask your neighbors about you and your habits.  

Ask me how I know.  Fuck NJ, best thing I ever did was leave that dump after 5 years of living there.
View Quote

They have updated their FID/Pistol permit process to be digital and done online. You should get your FID within 30 days. The biggest factor in slowing it down is the fingerprint appointments. It used to be 30 days to get subsequent pistol permits, but that's down to no more than 1-2 weeks now. I have never heard of a neighbor check in NJ, that is not part of the application process. They will require 2 references which you will need email addresses for. They just email your references asking if you are good guy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Other options include..  

* Some online retailers sell ARs that are already state compliant, such as Atlantic Firearms.
* Alternatively, you can purchase a noncompliant rifle online and have it shipped to an FFL that does the state compliance modifications and transfer.
* Edit... adding a 3rd option... move to a free state...I will be as soon as my kids graduate HS... eagerly looking forward to escaping from this communist state.

If you're in northeast nj and need suggestions for an FFL, you can pm me and I'll give you some recommendations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
An actual Colt M4?  You can't.  It's a machine gun (select fire) made after 1986 (Hughes Amendment to the 1968 GCA passed as part of the 1986 FOPA).

A NJ compliant AR pattern rifle (as described above)?  Yes, a FPID.
View Quote

That's correct. I just assumed he meant an M4 Style rifle, not an actual M4.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

M4 is my favorite style of AR too. Where are you located? I can probably recommend a dealer or two if you don't have one in mind already.
View Quote

I live in Monroe Township / Middlesex County. Any recommendations would be great!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I live in Monroe Township / Middlesex County. Any recommendations would be great!
View Quote

https://monmoutharms.com/  - STEVE

https://monmoutharms.com/product/colt-m4-carbine-cr6920/

https://www.jtcustomguns.com/   - JACK
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's correct. I just assumed he meant an M4 Style rifle, not an actual M4.
View Quote

Oh no, I meant an actual M4. Did that little digging and saw the one we use in the army is specifically for Military use and sale. So I looked at Colt's website at the M4 Monolithic and want to see if any dealer near me could get that and make it compliant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh no, I meant an actual M4. Did that little digging and saw the one we use in the army is specifically for Military use and sale. So I looked at Colt's website at the M4 Monolithic and want to see if any dealer near me could get that and make it compliant.
View Quote

There is no way to own a full auto in NJ, period.

This is your closest option:

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#16]
If you want to use an actual M4 you have to re-enlist.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is no way to own a full auto gun in NJ, period.

This is you closest option:

View Quote

Yeah, I don't even mind that. Never even shot full or burst when I was at military ranges so It doesn't matter to me. Just trying to get as close to what they have as I can so I can keep my skills up for whenever my unit takes a trip down to a Qual range I'll be set. Thanks again though
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want to use an actual M4 you have to re-enlist.

View Quote

I'm in the NJ Army National Guard right now. Contract expires in '26 and I don't know if ill re-enlist beyond my first contract yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW, FUCK NJ.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Colt Monolithic should not be a problem.

Edit: You can definitely own a Compliant Colt Monolithic in NJ.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, I think you need to educate yourself a bit more. That’s not meant in a demeaning way at all. The laws are…complicated.

This video intent is humor, but it’s funny because it’s true:
ATF: 'Is it a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or felony?'

That video mentions machine guns, but not specifically as related to your question. It illustrates how complicated and ridiculous the rules are.

Also, what you know as a carbine (the M4), in the civilian side, the ATF says it’s a machine gun. I know, you hear machine gun and you think M249, M240, or maybe even the M2. If it’s capable of firing more than one round per trigger pull, it’s a machine gun to them. To add stupidity, if it was ever a machine gun, it’s basically always a machine gun; you can’t “neuter” it.

So you can buy a rifle or carbine that looks almost exactly like an M4, even made by the same companies as those in the military. And if you take one of those rifles/carbines and make it function like an M4, it’s a serious crime. If you even modify it to be able to readily take the parts to make it function like the M4, it’s a serious crime. Or if you keep the barrel as short as the M4, it’s a crime.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Colt Monolithic should not be a problem.
View Quote

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

That's what we be using in the Army for the most part, question is now, can I get that and find a way to make it complaint. Flash hider would have to go of course and anything else I specifically don't know about.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

That's what we be using in the Army for the most part, question is now, can I get that and find a way to make it complaint. Flash hider would have to go of course and anything else I specifically don't know about.
View Quote

Yes, it's just another semi-auto rifle.

Correction:
Nope. Flash hider is pinned and welded, would need to change barrel.

You can have a 14.5" barrel in NJ but your compensator needs to be 1.5" to make it 16" overall.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, I think you need to educate yourself a bit more. That’s not meant in a demeaning way at all. The laws are…complicated.

This video intent is humor, but it’s funny because it’s true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nfCyhOX42g

That video mentions machine guns, but not specifically as related to your question. It illustrates how complicated and ridiculous the rules are.

Also, what you know as a carbine (the M4), in the civilian side, the ATF says it’s a machine gun. I know, you hear machine gun and you think M249, M240, or maybe even the M2. If it’s capable of firing more than one round per trigger pull, it’s a machine gun to them. To add stupidity, if it was ever a machine gun, it’s basically always a machine gun; you can’t “neuter” it.

So you can buy a rifle or carbine that looks almost exactly like an M4, even made by the same companies as those in the military. And if you take one of those rifles/carbines and make it function like an M4, it’s a serious crime. If you even modify it to be able to readily take the parts to make it function like the M4, it’s a serious crime. Or if you keep the barrel as short as the M4, it’s a crime.
View Quote

You're all good, I understand you> Laws are BS to a degree and completely ridiculous. I'm saying for myself that I want to get as close as I can to the Mil-spec version of a colt M4 (the one us in the military use) and still have it be complaint and legal in NJ. I'm not trying to turn it illegal with getting accessories.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#25]
modern material is the rifle you want

steve
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, it's just another semi-auto rifle.
View Quote

Yup. Either that or the Monolithic or something similar and complaint in NJ and I'll be set. Thanks again for your help!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They have updated their FID/Pistol permit process to be digital and done online. You should get your FID within 30 days. The biggest factor in slowing it down is the fingerprint appointments. It used to be 30 days to get subsequent pistol permits, but that's down to no more than 1-2 weeks now. I have never heard of a neighbor check in NJ, that is not part of the application process. They will require 2 references which you will need email addresses for. They just email your references asking if you are good guy.
View Quote

Wow 1-2 weeks, my town used to take 6-12 months.
They did the neighbor check, and even called me in for an interview/interrogation, when I applied for my second set of permits. Asking why I need more permits already, and why I was applying for more than one at a time. I applied for 2 the first time and another 2 the second time like a year later. Not an excessive amount or anything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wow 1-2 weeks, my town used to take 6-12 months.
They did the neighbor check, and even called me in for an interview/interrogation, when I applied for my second set of permits. Asking why I need more permits already, and why I was applying for more than one at a time. I applied for 2 the first time and another 2 the second time like a year later. Not an excessive amount or anything.
View Quote

What they did is illegal as per the Statue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What they did is illegal as per the Statue.
View Quote

This was probably like 7-8 years ago. It was a hassle, I stopped buying handguns after the second time, because I was planning on moving. So I focused on rifles and shotgun, for my collection, till I moved.

I believe I even had to get my job to fill out reference, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#30]
At least you don't need to put a HBAR on everything like Maryland.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This was probably like 7-8 years ago. It was a hassle, I stopped buying handguns after the second time, because I was planning on moving. So I focused on rifles and shotgun, for my collection, till I moved.

I believe I even had to get my job to fill out reference, if I remember correctly.
View Quote

There was a lawsuit a few years ago over this, where it was ruled that police departments couldn't add additional requirements. Only what is outlined in the statue is allowed.

The employment inquiry, while bullshit,  was always part of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There was a lawsuit a few years ago over this, where it was ruled that police departments couldn't add additional requirements. Only what is outlined in the statue is allowed.

The employment inquiry, while bullshit,  was always part of it.
View Quote

This must of been before the lawsuit. Well at least they fixed it now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://monmoutharms.com/  - STEVE

https://www.jtcustomguns.com/   - JACK
View Quote

Steve is a good guy and can do any compliance work required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top