Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2021 10:24:21 AM EDT
A friends Father was charged with DUI 20-25 years ago and was denied his NJ FID and hence no permit to purchase a pistol.

Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
sound right? no

sound like NJ using vague law to prevent someone from owing a firearm legally? yes.

his record needs to be expunged, then he should be GTG
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
not the same, but a friend with a decade-old DUI just had his FID address updated and a PPP without issue.

Talk to the chief of police?  A 20 year-old traffic infraction seems like little reason to deny an FID.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the DUI in the state?

Outside of NJ, DUI is considered a crime, not a traffic offense.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all replies.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
J.O. that I am, I had a DWI back in 2015. Was concerned with losing my gun rights. No personal injury involved. Traffic violation only.  
Asked Nappen how said DWI would affect my gun rights, and his simple response was: "If NJ took away the gun rights of everybody with a DWI, we wouldn't have any cops!:
Made perfect sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
J.O. that I am, I had a DWI back in 2015. Was concerned with losing my gun rights. No personal injury involved. Traffic violation only.  
Asked Nappen how said DWI would affect my gun rights, and his simple response was: "If NJ took away the gun rights of everybody with a DWI, we wouldn't have any cops!:
Made perfect sense to me.
View Quote

Nappen's response makes sense and made me smile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top