Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2021 11:39:00 PM EDT
I need advice from those already in the state, specifically the Monroe township area.

Long story short, I am a victim of my own success and my work has asked me to transfer again. This time from Arkansas to new Jersey.

I am struggling with this decision. I am 35 years old, nothing tying me down except the friends I have made here and the fact I love Arkansas and the south with all our freedom and liberties.

I set a meeting for tomorrow to see what salary and benefits are offered with the move.

What says the hive?
What can you folks recommend to sway me towards moving and progressing my career? I want to hear from folks from here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
when taking the new salary into consideration, take into account the fact EVERYTHING is way more expensive in this shithole............

well, that and the complete lack of any rights you have here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Prepare to pay taxes on everything and forget about ever getting a CCW in this State. We have been steadily losing our 2A Rights since the late 1960's as we are very progressive don't you know. Democrat's outnumber Republicans 2 to 1 and vote accordingly.

Property taxes are the highest in the Nation and you can't be trusted to pump your own gas. I could go on and on but the smart votes here in NJ vote with their feet. We have more "ex" members on the NJ Hometown Forum then we have members anymore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The other responses are accurate. The bad: gun laws, taxes, traffic, cost of living. The good: Monroe is close to the beach, there are gun clubs (I am a member of CJRPC) which is about 20-25 minutes away from Monroe. We have good fishing and good food. I would imagine it's a pretty drastic change from arkansas. Will you be working in Monroe or commuting to another town/city? Moroe for the most part is still pretty rural, but there are 55+ communities going up on the old farmlands. Do you have any more specific questions?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe there are more than 1 Monroe.  Which one?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Think hard and long. Compare apples to apples.

Here is a link to what is taking place in the northeast of the US.  

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/new-jersey-new-york-high-tax-state-exodus-2019

Folks are heading out of these states for many reasons, retirement, very high real estate taxes, loss of personal freedom, cost of living easily 20% above Arkansas. A solid blue state for years to come.

The folks leaving NJ are middle to high income folks who provide a reliable income tax base for the state. Guess who is moving in, welfare dependent families who suck from the nanny state
as much as possible.  If you don't mind those factors, then welcome.

I have lived in NJ since 1965 and as LUGERMAN states, it has been downhill since then.  The next to last reason for me and my wife living in NJ is coming to an end in June, our son who is 28 years old is moving to Atlanta in June.  After that we will be actively looking for a place anywhere south of South Carolina. Almost anything is better than NJ

Gather as much information as possible before you agree to the transfer.  Arkansas is different in every aspect from NJ, and by the way, NJ is indeed a police state. I suspect you do not have any idea what that is.

Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe there are more than 1 Monroe.  Which one?
View Quote

This

Middlesex County in the North or Gloucester County in the South, the only two I know.

Both Counties are high in population densities, but North Jersey is worse ( North of I-195 ), much of it very diverse.

Good Luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I know there’s like 6 Washington nj’s. Didn’t know there were 2 Monroe’s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Monroe in Middlesex County is only ~20 miles from PA border, live in PA if you can. Better gun laws and lower taxes. NJ and PA have a reciprocal income tax agreement, if you live in PA you only have to pay the lower PA income tax. I live in Bucks county, if you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for replying. I've already transferred for the company before and that's how I ended up in Arkansas. I fell in love with this state because I left a blue state to come here. My choices are jump ship and transfer to NJ or go down with the ship when they close it and I will find another job here.

Its another amazing opportunity to move up in the company. But I know the equity firm is just going to sell it in a few years or after they can make a profit.

Currently at a little over 70k. What would be your minimum increase to transfer?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you all for replying. I've already transferred for the company before and that's how I ended up in Arkansas. I fell in love with this state because I left a blue state to come here. My choices are jump ship and transfer to NJ or go down with the ship when they close it and I will find another job here.

Its another amazing opportunity to move up in the company. But I know the equity firm is just going to sell it in a few years or after they can make a profit.

Currently at a little over 70k. What would be your minimum increase to transfer?
View Quote

Housing is probably 2Xs the amount for the south jersey Monroe and 3Xs the amount for north jersey compared to ARkansas.  Property taxes would most likely be around 6-10k
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Monroe in Middlesex County is only ~20 miles from PA border, live in PA if you can. Better gun laws and lower taxes. NJ and PA have a reciprocal income tax agreement, if you live in PA you only have to pay the lower PA income tax. I live in Bucks county, if you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me.
View Quote

This advice has been repeated to me. How is the cost of living and hunting in PA?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This advice has been repeated to me. How is the cost of living and hunting in PA?
View Quote

COL is roughly the same on the border areas in PA, hunting is very strange in pa with the permit draws and such but very good. NJ has good hunting pretty good amount of public and you can merc 100+ deer a yr with a bow.

Biggest problem right now is housing rentals are sparse and the average is 2000$ a month for even some 1bdm apartments.

In my opinion if you like guns, hunting, fishing, hate traffic, hate shitty people and enjoy holding onto your $$$

Stay out of nj,pa,ny area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

25% increase minimum
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#14]
2K/mo rent is cheap, and I'm NOT in a "high roller" area. 3br 1 bath ranch.
My brother gets 4-5K/mo for his place in Sayreville. I forget the exact figure.
I'd call it @ a 40% raise off the bat and room for more.
Taxes, tolls and quality of life is worth that, or more.
jm.02
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a private indoor gun range in Monroe. I'm a member there. If you moved there you can go shoot without ever leaving town. But as the others have said, you can forget about a CCW, mags over 10 rounds and lots of other silly gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Prepare to pay taxes on everything and forget about ever getting a CCW in this State. We have been steadily losing our 2A Rights since the late 1960's as we are very progressive don't you know. Democrat's outnumber Republicans 2 to 1 and vote accordingly.

Property taxes are the highest in the Nation and you can't be trusted to pump your own gas. I could go on and on but the smart votes here in NJ vote with their feet. We have more "ex" members on the NJ Hometown Forum then we have members anymore.
View Quote

Fuck if this could be written any better I would pay to see it. Nice work
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
You don't want to be in dam yankee country.. unless you want to give up your freedoms and see how the soviet union lived.. any raise will not be a raise due to the cost of anything. You enjoy hunting and shooting and NJ is not the place to move too.

If your a  Liberal please move north.. You will fit right in and encourage all liberals to move back to the northeast..

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You don't want to be in dam yankee country.. unless you want to give up your freedoms and see how the soviet union lived.. any raise will not be a raise due to the cost of anything. You enjoy hunting and shooting and NJ is not the place to move too.

If your a  Liberal please move north.. You will fit right in and encourage all liberals to move back to the northeast..

View Quote

a friend told me I wouldn't last long up there. His exact words were "you're too damn wild for them fuckin yanks"

I appreciate all your responses and insight. The company and I could not come to an agreement, so I will stay put. I have fallen in love with the south and just needed confirmation that I wouldn't be happy up there.

I have visited NJ several times on business and it reminds me of CA. Beautiful land but ran by very shitty people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top