Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2020 4:45:55 PM EDT
I have a buddy who lives in NJ, and he wants to go to his local range at some point. (He’s not a shooter.) I know that you NJ guys can have one “evil” feature on your guns whereas we need to go Featureless, so I’m assuming that I can bring a NY Featureless with a detachable Mag and have no issues. That said, can I bring a Fixed Mag that has a bunch of evil features? (New York Legal.) I have a 10 Round Fixed with a flash hider, pistol grip, collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and I think that’s it. (It’s a range toy.) Is that gun legal in NJ? I know the CA laws better than those of my neighboring state. Thanks for any info.
    Seth
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a fixed-mag firearm with other evil features is legal, as our laws (not really a law, but an AG guideline/directive to prosecutors) define assault firearms as having a detachable magazine.

At this point, anything legal to possess in NY is legal to possess in NJ.  Be aware, however, that without possession of a NJ Firearms ID card, you may only travel directly to the range, then back home.  You can't go to your buddy's house to pick him up, you can't stop for coffee on the way, you shouldn't even stop for fuel.  The way our law currently exists, any deviation from the most direct route between home and range is up to a judge to decide if it was "reasonably necessary under the circumstances".  Don't give them the opportunity to judge...

Obviously, the firearm must be transported unloaded, and either contained in a closed and fastened case, or locked in the trunk.  The case itself does not need to be locked.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Great info. Thanks, Tom. To make this more interesting, I get to drive through the city, too. (Without stopping.) They haven’t banned that, yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At this point, anything legal to possess in NY is legal to possess in NJ.
View Quote

M1 Carbine?  Is "pre-ban" no longer a thing in NY?  Either will get you hemmed up in NJ (M1 Carbine banned by name and nothing is grandfathered.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top