Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2020 12:21:28 PM EDT
Are AKs legal in NJ?  The reason that I ask is because I just sold one on GB to a guy in NJ.  It does have a pistol grip, threaded barrel and bayonet lug, but has a fixed stock if that makes any difference. If you want to see the exact rifle go to Atlantic Firearms page and look for a Romanian AK-47 with Russian red furniture. In the event that it’s not a legal gun in NJ but he pays for it and I ship it, what happens when it gets to his dealer?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The NJ FFL will pin on a muzzle brake and cut off the bayonet lug to make it legal for him to transfer the rifle to the purchaser.  Otherwise, the FFL is committing a crime if he transfers it as-is.  Either way, its not on you.

However, the FFL, if he's not aware of these particulars, and isn't equipped to perform the necessary modifications, or is unwilling to do so, may tell the purchaser that he can't legally transfer the rifle, and then the hapless purchaser may come back to you looking to ship the rifle back and ask for a refund.  IMO, you are under no obligation to honor that, as its not your fault the purchaser didn't understand the laws of his state before purchasing.

ETA:  Since it sounds like this hasn't shipped yet, I would just confirm with the purchaser that he understands that the rifle will need to be modified to be legal, and ensure he has informed his receiving FFL of this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, it was bought about 8:30 this morning but not paid for yet. Since I’m not in business I only take money orders and cashier’s checks.

It’s a hot mess trying to keep up with state gun laws. In Tennessee where I live we can do just about anything that isn’t illegal federally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top