Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:22 PM EDT
I have a boudoir photo shoot coming up for my girlfriend.   We want to use an AR that I built and my nickel plated desert eagle.....the photo company requested that I render the firearms inoperable, so I figured I would pull the bolts out and maybe the charging mechanisms.   Being that they will be inoperable,  will the strict nj transport laws still apply?  Could I just throw them in the back seat and bring them to the shoot or should they remain in locked cases?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting question. I admit I had to look up what boudoir meant.

I think you would have to read through the statues to determine what defines a firearm. Is a receiver without a bolt a firearm? The AR lower is the serialized part and you do need FPID to purchase it. I don't know.

However, being NJ has the Graves Act which provides for mandatory minimum sentences for firearm crimes, I wouldn't take a chance that any LEO you come across would know the technical differences in the laws.

Not to mention, the plain view exception to the fourth amendment would give LEO's the right to search your car if they saw the gun on your rear seat. I would lock it in the trunk or a case and avoid a very big and expensive headache.

Remember NJ Appellate Judge Baime in State v. Pelleteri: "When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril."
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea either way I will case them. ...I was more concerned about the to and from the range thing.... but I may even go as far as trigger removal as well
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont think NJ distinguishes between an operable and non operable gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top