Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 6:16:59 AM EDT
It's almost gardening time folks.. So what do you folks use to fertilize your garden? I recently tilled the garden, and will be putting a black tarp over the garden to help assist with the weeds. What do you folks use as compose? I've been adding fruit peels, veggie peels, etc. into the garden.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I throw fruit and veggie peels, food scraps, rinsed egg shells, moldy bread, dry leaves, tea bags, coffee filters, etc into my compost bins instead of directly into the garden. This lets them compost quicker then in the garden. What I do throw directly into the garden is coffee grounds since they don't need to be composted.

Last fall, I emptied out one of my compost bins and spread it out into my small garden and worked it into the soil. Now it looks like it has broken bits of tile in it due to all the egg shells that were in the compost.

I'm was hardening off my plants last week but had to bring them indoors due to the recent frost warnings. Can't wait for it to get warmer so I can start planting this year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Compost, Blood meal, Bone meal and some of that liquid fish.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to go get some old horse poop. Fly...you are near the ocean, seaweed is good, lots of trace
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, thank you everyone
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Strictly use Horse crap. Tomatoes absolutely love it so do the peppers and keeps the weed to a min.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Strictly use Horse crap. Tomatoes absolutely love it so do the peppers and keeps the weed to a min.

I keep some honeybees on a horse farm, there's lots of horse manure that does not stink laying around, maybe I ought to start shoveling shit

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
then you can get a job at the statehouse
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
then you can get a job at the statehouse

Gonna need a front end loader or somethin'

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
ok you can be an intern...I hear they like little boys for that though?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ok you can be an intern...I hear they like little boys for that though?

It's all free game.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's almost gardening time folks.. So what do you folks use to fertilize your garden? I recently tilled the garden, and will be putting a black tarp over the garden to help assist with the weeds. What do you folks use as compose? I've been adding fruit peels, veggie peels, etc. into the garden.

Compost compost compost

If the chickens don't eat scraps from the kitchent, it goes into the pile.  Along with leaf & lawn clippings which I add to give the pile some mass.  Add chicken crap to the pile.  Be sure to turn it if you want it to go fast.  I'm mostly lazy so mine takes quite a while.  Add to garden.  Alternatively use composted horse manure.  If you live near farms they're always wiling to give it away.  Just ask.  

You'd be amazed what a compost pile and a couple of chickens can do for reducing waste and improving your garden.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top