Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2011 12:54:03 PM EDT
So I just got my 3 handgun permits i applied for. Now how dose the one a month work? Is it from the day i purchase the first one i can get the second after 30 days?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
that is my understanding of it. i know you can get some exemptions, but if you are just buying for fun then yes you have to wait 30 days between each purchase.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It works precisely the way your FFL interprets it.  
My FFL reads the law as a full 30 days between each purchase.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I just got my 3 handgun permits i applied for. Now how dose the one a month work?

You buy a gun....  you wait 30 days...  you buy another gun...  you wait 30 days....  you buy another gun
62 days later, you have 3 guns.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont be freaked out if the NJSP calls you.
They've been doing that....or so I'm told, if you get "multiple" permits.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I got 3 permits months ago (used them all ) and I didn't get any calls from NJSP
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont know if theyre calling everyone. I've just heard that they did call people who got multiple permits to "remind" them about the 1 gun a month law.
How thoughtful.......
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dont know if theyre calling everyone. I've just heard that they did call people who got multiple permits to "remind" them about the 1 gun a month law.
How thoughtful.......

Is there an actual penalty for purchasing more than one gun a month? I might have overlapped a few days with multiple permits. No phone calls. Is it up to the dealer to make sure you are in compliance or the individual?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How thoughtful.......

Is there an actual penalty for purchasing more than one gun a month? I might have overlapped a few days with multiple permits. No phone calls. Is it up to the dealer to make sure you are in compliance or the individual?

It is completely up to you to follow the law. There's really nothing stopping you from buying a handgun from one dealer and then driving to another dealer or private sale and purchasing another handgun a half hour later except that your local PD will see it when the permits are returned and could potentially issue a warrant for your arrest.

ETA: thought I would add: rumors I've heard is that the NJ NICS proxy actually tracks handgun sales and will deny someone if they've had another check for a handgun transaction within the past 30 days. Not sure if that is true though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there an actual penalty for purchasing more than one gun a month?

Yes - it's a 4th degree crime, as per 2C:39-10

I might have overlapped a few days with multiple permits. No phone calls. Is it up to the dealer to make sure you are in compliance or the individual?

Both.  It's up to the dealer to make sure they don't transfer a handgun to the same person twice within a 30 day period....  but it's also up to you to make sure you don't acquire more than one handgun in a 30 day period.  If you do, you break the law.

Take a look at your pink copies of the handgun permits.  Count the days between the dates.  If it's under 30...  let's see...  how does that go again?  Oh yeah....  "STFU and call a lawyer"  

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Rusty, I dont know. I'm only forwarding what I've heard by a EXTREMELY RELIABLE source.

I dont think the NJSP has the spare bodies to track everyone. But that's just my opinion. YMMV jm.02 dont take wooden nickels....
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I just put in for 3 permits...  let's see if the phone rings  
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
What's a gun permit?
 Just Kidding.

I know about the FID Card, now it's just one gun a month?  I thought there was a "R" in the Gov Office.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#14]
That law was passed in 2009 with an effective date of Jan 01, 2010.  Certainly NOT a (R) footnote on that lovely piece of legislation.  

Regardless, why are we having this discussion?  The law is what the law is, and we are law-abiding citizens.  
True, you can probably get around the enforcement.  But why risk the consequences?  If you do get busted, you risk a criminal conviction that may inhibit you from ever owning firearms in NJ.  

Sometimes you have to sucker down and please the man.  In this case, NJ law-abiding citizens are required to be patient.  However, If there is a truly compelling reason why someone absolutely needs more than 1 handgun in any 30-day period (i.e., buying a matched set of pistols), there are provisions for exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That law was passed in 2009 with an effective date of Jan 01, 2010.  Certainly NOT a (R) footnote on that lovely piece of legislation.  

Regardless, why are we having this discussion?  The law is what the law is, and we are law-abiding citizens.  

True, you can probably get around the enforcement.  But why risk the consequences?  If you do get busted, you risk a criminal conviction that may inhibit you from ever owning firearms in NJ.  

Sometimes you have to sucker down and please the man.  In this case, NJ law-abiding citizens are required to be patient.  However, If there is a truly compelling reason why someone absolutely needs more than 1 handgun in any 30-day period (i.e., buying a matched set of pistols), there are provisions for exceptions.

Ouch.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top