Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 8:37:51 PM EDT
i know a lot of you guys are LEO or ex LEO. what is your take on exterior lighting to deter criminals? lots of lights, no lights, some lighting? recently there was an attempted break in at my house and i was told to turn on more lights. but i now have a feeling that could actually make things easier for a criminal. what is the word? what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
sent you an email with a PPT link
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you i will check it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of factors. Can neighbors see your house? or motorists? Lighting only helps if someone might see the would be burglar attempting to enter.  If you are in a city the answer is different, have you thought about an alarm.  Lighting also is for night time issues when usually someone is home.  If the house is empty at night or large enough that you wouldn't hear someone breaking in the alarm is the way to go.  I think a good Dog is a deterrent also.

You are on AR15.com so you obviously have one good tool to protect while your home.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
how to best deter criminals via lighting?

mount a flashlight on the end of your mossy 500 or remmy 870?

Sorry... I couldn't help myself
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
how about the light of a muzzle blast
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are a lot of factors. Can neighbors see your house? or motorists? Lighting only helps if someone might see the would be burglar attempting to enter.  If you are in a city the answer is different, have you thought about an alarm.  Lighting also is for night time issues when usually someone is home.  If the house is empty at night or large enough that you wouldn't hear someone breaking in the alarm is the way to go.  I think a good Dog is a deterrent also.

You are on AR15.com so you obviously have one good tool to protect while your home.

have dog, alarm and a few things that go bang. problem with my neighborhood is no one is ever outside and/or looking.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
what's a PPT link? and why can't the rest of us other readers know about it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
We had an attempted home invasion at my old apartment Friday at 3pm while wife was pregnant a few years ago.  We couldn't move fast enough from there...Glad they didn't get pass the deadbolt.  Good thing I wasn't home, nuff said.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have spot lights at each corner of my house, motion sensor lights on my horse barn, a big ass German Shepherd and I always keep a old target (silhouette) hangin in the backyard. I figure if the lights and dog don't scare them, then the fact that a shot up target should show what they can expect if they try. I am fortunate enough to have neighbors that watch each other and usually someone is almost always home. If we are away The family or friends stay to watch the animals.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok here's what you do first you position your artificial lightning generator about 3 feet from the door, I prefer a really large directional tesla coil then you.... oh you said lighting, see I thought you said lightning... by lighting do you mean blinding/burning lasers?  because if not i'm out of ideas on how you can deter criminals with it
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
He's here all week, folks....  try the veal, and don't forget to tip your wait staff.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top