Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 3:29:29 PM EDT
Is it legal to weld a washer to a flash hider to create a muzzle brake? The reason I want to know is that it is impossible to find an a1 muzzle brake. Is there a requirement for the size hole at the end?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I don`t believe so. When RRA did the original SEBR, they used a bored out flash hider pressed onto the barrel of their M4rgery. The NJSP ruled that since the  part started out as a flash suppressor it was still illegal to sell in the state. I think that will be the answer you wil get if you call them. HTH
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks I don't know where I'll get an a1 muzzle brake from.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If the flash holes are sleeved or filled, how could it still be classified a flashhider?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
So with that same reasoning anyone with a BBL shorter than 16 that has a pinned brake to make it 16 still has an SBR in NJ? And lets not forget pinned stocks and converted 15 rnd mags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Wilson Combat makes a brake that kinda looks like an A1, also this:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=389&cat=1687

- BL-21 Branson Compensator
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the flash holes are sleeved or filled, how could it still be classified a flashhider?

The same way an M-14 reciever that has had the Selector slot completely filled in with Weld and is IMPOSSIBLE to re-convert is still considered a "Machinegun"
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same way an M-14 reciever that has had the Selector slot completely filled in with Weld and is IMPOSSIBLE to re-convert is still considered a "Machinegun"

That's a stretch of a comparison don't you think? A machine gun to a flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a stretch of a comparison don't you think? A machine gun to a flash hider.

I think it is a far stretch!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i'd second the recommendation for the wilson brake... it's all set to use the included set screw to afix it to your barrel, they've even got the whole drilled and threaded and give you the allen wrench. crank it on, drop a drill into the hole without fucking up the threads and then crank the included set screw in and drop a bead of weld on it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'd second the recommendation for the wilson brake... it's all set to use the included set screw to afix it to your barrel, they've even got the whole drilled and threaded and give you the allen wrench. crank it on, drop a drill into the hole without fucking up the threads and then crank the included set screw in and drop a bead of weld on it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe a little...but unfortunately it is a valid comparison.  A flash hider is ALWAYS a Flash hider in the eyes of the NJSP..no matter how it is modified..just as the MG is always an MG, even if the reciever is altered so it cant function as one.  In my OPINION, welding the washer on the front of a standard FH should be acceptable..however the Powers that be do not agree.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don`t believe so. When RRA did the original SEBR, they used a bored out flash hider pressed onto the barrel of their M4rgery. The NJSP ruled that since the  part started out as a flash suppressor it was still illegal to sell in the state. I think that will be the answer you wil get if you call them. HTH

Does anyone have a copy of  the ruling?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If you weld a washer to the front, most become muzzle brakes.
It's the big open front end on flash suppressors that allows them to draw air into the fireball to suppress it.
Close off the front end and now all the muzzle blast is directed out through the ports like a muzzle brake.
A flashider redirects muzzle flash. A muzzle break redirects gas.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, to CLEAR this up, I called RRA again today, they were press fitting a FLASH HIDER to the barrel, not welding a washer to it, so again it was a FLASH HIDER!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Good job on clearing up nonsense. Thanks from all
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt one even exists.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt one even exists.

It`s been a long time. It stuck in my memory for some reason.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top