Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2020 1:16:31 PM EDT
I moved to England in the late summer of 1965.  My Dad was in the US Air Force and was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in East Anglia.  We spent three years there and I loved it an adapted FAST.  I thought it weird that the telly did not come on until the afternoon with Romper Room being the first program of the day.  Luckily the next program was a program about Nudist Colonies.  My Mother was NOT pleased.  LOL

Needless to say she kept a close eye on the schedule and the only thing I got to watch was football.  The first game of it I got to watch was Manchester United, and after that I was hooked.  I immediately joined the base youth team and started playing as the team keeper being 6'3" and with great hands at 13!  The next year the NY Cosmos came to England scouting young players from the US Bases.  They picked me and two others as having potential.  They rewarded us by taking us to the World Cup final at Wimbledon where England beat West Germany.  Two of my favorite players played in the Game.  Sir Bobby Charlton and Knobby Stiles.  Both naturally Man U players!

While I do like and support other teams my all time favorite is Man U.  My only regret is I never got to Old Trafford for a game.  Was going to try this fall but my heart surgeons say NO WAY!

Now if only Man U will only get rid of that French asshole Pogba and also Jesse Linguard now that Pogba talked him into having the same asshole agent!

I keep up the best I can but over here it is not that easy.  Thank God for the internet.

Y'all (YES I am a Southerner) please keep this old man up to date.  Being called a 'YANK' used to call for a bunch of rather rough education sessions!  LOL
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello,
Football is a good game, theres only one team in the world i hate and its man u, i wasnt going to post when i saw you were a man u fan but i thought i would
You were lucky to see england win as they never will in my lifetime
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I know ALOT of folks do not like Man U.  Been that way quite a while.  It really does not bother me that folks support other teams.  Folks are supposed to have a favorite.

I WILL say I miss real fish and chips.  Unfortunately the 'supposed' fish and chips shops here only use Cod.  I miss being able to pick the fish.  My wife thinks it is weird that I use malt vinegar on my fish and chips.

I still have two Pint mugs that I use for a tea cup from my old favorite pub.  

The first time my Dad was going to take me into a REAL English Pub.  He got a hell of a surprise.  He took me to my regular Pub.  When the owner greeted me by name and automatically pulled a pint of cider and put my darts on the bar my Father was more than a little surprise.  Dads only comment was I take it you are not exactly a stranger her.  Owner got to laughing and said NO he is not.  As a matter of fact he is on the darts team and is dating BOTH the Barmaids.  After meeting both the barmaids Dad told me congratulations and NEVER to say a word about it to my mother.  Unfortunately we only had two weeks left in England as Dad got stationed back to the US.

This interrupted my first year at Trinity College, Cambridge.  That was a hell of a good school that I wish I could have finished at.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:27:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scope-eye] [#3]
I used to work in sight of the ground on Trafford Park Road, as a southerner I had no allegiance but the work force were about a 50:50 mix of Mancunian and 'others'. It was generally the case that the 'others' were Man U fans and the locals were almost totally City fans.

Personally I don't follow football but if I had to pick a team it would be Spurs as they are the local team and my whole family are from the area.

The old pub attitude in east Anglia especially is a great thing, it is slowly being lost as pubs move to all food or these anonymous chains where the staff haven't got time to chat. Shame really, but I guess it's progress.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
I used to work in sight of the ground on Trafford Park Road, as a southerner I had no allegiance but the work force were about a 50:50 mix of Mancunian and 'others'. It was generally the case that the 'others' were Man U fans and the locals were almost totally City fans.

Personally I don't follow football but if I had to pick a team it would be Spurs as they are the local team and my whole family are from the area.

The old pub attitude in east Anglia especially is a great thing, it is slowly being lost as pubs move to all food or these anonymous chains where the staff haven't got time to chat. Shame really, but I guess it's progress.
View Quote

Noooo, i am a arsenal fan
Even tho i live stoke on trent, i have always followed them, used to stay quiet when they played stoke as i went down on the stoke bus

Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TnHawk-45:
I know ALOT of folks do not like Man U.  Been that way quite a while.  It really does not bother me that folks support other teams.  Folks are supposed to have a favorite.

I WILL say I miss real fish and chips.  Unfortunately the 'supposed' fish and chips shops here only use Cod.  I miss being able to pick the fish.  My wife thinks it is weird that I use malt vinegar on my fish and chips.

I still have two Pint mugs that I use for a tea cup from my old favorite pub.  

The first time my Dad was going to take me into a REAL English Pub.  He got a hell of a surprise.  He took me to my regular Pub.  When the owner greeted me by name and automatically pulled a pint of cider and put my darts on the bar my Father was more than a little surprise.  Dads only comment was I take it you are not exactly a stranger her.  Owner got to laughing and said NO he is not.  As a matter of fact he is on the darts team and is dating BOTH the Barmaids.  After meeting both the barmaids Dad told me congratulations and NEVER to say a word about it to my mother.  Unfortunately we only had two weeks left in England as Dad got stationed back to the US.

This interrupted my first year at Trinity College, Cambridge.  That was a hell of a good school that I wish I could have finished at.
View Quote

Well if you ever make it back to blighty and you are near the Midlands (potteries) i will take you out shooting
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I passed a pick up truck this afternoon with a Chelsea badge on it.  There is a bunch of Chelsea fans here for some reason.

I liked Tottilnam until they got their current Coach.  I have disliked Mohrino  since he was the Manager at Chelsea and I refuse to discuss his Man U days!

I miss being able to shop in London both for new stuff and really old stuff at Portobelo Road.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TnHawk-45:
I miss being able to shop in London both for new stuff.
View Quote

I miss being able to go to shopping anywhere.

Never thought I'd say that, never been one for the stores, except tool stores, never have enough tools.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mmamonster:

Well if you ever make it back to blighty and you are near the Midlands (potteries) i will take you out shooting
Atb
Mart
View Quote

Well, I never thought that I would meet someone on here from Stoke, I'm originally from "Castle" but now live just outside of Perth, Scotland.
Brough
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Brough67:

Well, I never thought that I would meet someone on here from Stoke, I'm originally from "Castle" but now live just outside of Perth, Scotland.
Brough
View Quote

Lol, i always put stoke because if i put newcastle they think of up north,i am from milehouse originally.

Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mmamonster:

Lol, i always put stoke because if i put newcastle they think of up north,i am from milehouse originally.

Atb
Mart
View Quote

Same here mate, people always say that I don't sound like a Geordie.
Originally from Clayton.
Keep safe.
Brough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top