Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2019 8:15:28 AM EDT

(...Sir Henry George Chauvel decides to 'take a gamble' and wins: "They're now under the guns!")

General Chauvel then decided to take something of a gamble. The delay at Tel es Saba threatened to prevent the capture of Beersheba before dark. Rather than continue with the methodical plan of attack, Chauvel ordered one of his reserve brigades, the 4th Australian Light Horse, to mount a direct assault on Beersheba. They had the ideal terrain for a cavalry charge – a long gentle slope running down into Beersheba. It was defended by two lines of trenches, but crucially not by barbed wire.
View Quote
Ranging by defenders and attacking fleet-footed light infantry=miss the mark and you are dead, wounded, or captured.

Battle of Beersheba Part 2 10 31 1917

"...but I would like you to go ahead to the 1:20 mark for the charge (the German officer's assumptions at 1:34 is critical). One of the best filmed scenes in the genre - if it doesn't raise your heart rate, pressure nothing will."

CDR Dalamander: Full Bore Friday

In war, it often is not what you were designed to do. It is not what in theory what you were primarily trained, manned, and equipped to do. No. More often than not it is what you must do. What you are needed to do. What you may be the only unit in place to do.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The Lighthorsemen was a very under-rated movie. The charge scene was awesome. Also SMLE and Bren gun action
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to look up the film.
Good clip of the charge. I didn't realise cavalry or light horse would charge for over a mile and a half.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top