Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2019 10:32:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-fan]
I'm in the U.S. and want to try to convert my 6.5 Grendel to manual operation. I know this sounds strange when I can legally own a semi-auto but I'm the problem -- a bit old and disabled. I don't want to have to hunt for my brass when in the field since it can just disappear in the tall grass and weeds. I changed my upper to a side charger but the fired 6.5 Grendel case is somewhat straight and develops a bit more pressure than the .223 round and I can't manually eject a fired case. One of you fellows, that worked with your style of manual operation, had designed a system to break tight or stuck fired cases from the chamber using the modified manual operating system. I read this in the UK Hometown forum many years ago. I wish I could remember the fellow's name -- he did some really nice work on the manual design and had mentioned the special design only once or twice. I was hoping that somebody here might know how it worked and could explain it to me. The fellow that came up with the design was a really nice guy that always answered my questions and answered with great detail.

Thanks for any and all help,
Charlie (AR-fan)
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Most likely Peter Sarony of Armalon. His conversion had a cam type system to help unlock but it did place the bolt handle quite far forward (IIRC in front of the eject port - especially awkward to use prone).

Polishing the chamber might help.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
Most likely Peter Sarony of Armalon. His conversion had a cam type system to help unlock but it did place the bolt handle quite far forward (IIRC in front of the eject port - especially awkward to use prone).

Polishing the chamber might help.
View Quote
I wonder if Peter Sarony is the fellow I remember. The description of the operation using a cam type action sounds correct. He probably has the design copy righted so can't tell me how it works. Thanks for helping me out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scope-eye] [#3]
It was similar to the way the cadet GP rifle (L98) operated but the other way up.

OPEN

CLOSED

IIRC the handle was attached directly to the carrier and a lug was fitted to the receiver above the eject port. This allowed the handle to fall lower. It just gave a bit of leverage to the opening operation.
It has been a while since I saw one and never actually used one myself.

ETA: Just found a picture of the Armalon EasyCam for your viewing pleasure. Not quite as I remembered it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It was similar to the way the cadet GP rifle (L98) operated but the other way up.

OPEN
https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Images/Enfield_Cadet_RHS_breech_open.gif
CLOSED
http://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2WM-5.jpg

IIRC the handle was attached directly to the carrier and a lug was fitted to the receiver above the eject port. This allowed the handle to fall lower. It just gave a bit of leverage to the opening operation.
It has been a while since I saw one and never actually used one myself.

ETA: Just found a picture of the Armalon EasyCam for your viewing pleasure. Not quite as I remembered it.

https://www.gunmart.net/images/uploads/access/320-F.JPG
View Quote
Good grief, that looks hideous. If I were to try a system like that I think I would go with the Enfield Cadet variety. This makes me wonder if I should just leave the AR with gas operation and go buy a nice bolt action. Many thanks for those pictures Scope-eye, they really explain exactly what that fellow had described years ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Not the prettiest conversion and I think not the most user friendly/reliable.

Might be better off sticking to .223 and a side conversion or a bolt gun as you say.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the prettiest conversion and I think not the most user friendly/reliable.

Might be better off sticking to .223 and a side conversion or a bolt gun as you say.
View Quote
You are so right! I just started working with the 6.5 Grendel and didn't realize the fired case held so tight. I'll give up on the manual operation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AR-fan:

You are so right! I just started working with the 6.5 Grendel and didn't realize the fired case held so tight. I'll give up on the manual operation.
View Quote
I just can't stop thinking about trying that lever type action on an old receiver I converted to a side charger a long time ago. It's not that nice looking so it won't hurt to try. I just don't want to give up on something so quickly.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Mate of mine had a 6.5 straight pull, pulled the rims off a few cases.
He's since passed away so no idea where his rifle is now, but I think it was from Low Mill Ranges originally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top