Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 11:17:03 AM EDT
Hello Gentlemen. I have a question for you all. Probably a silly question to you all. Lately I've been reading alot of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and I have been wondering if the coin referred to as the Sovereign is still in use as common currency in England today?
Thank you,
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
In short, they are like silver dollars (but worth a lot more). They have a nominal value; however they cost a lot more!

It's about £500 for a new sovereign:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_2013_UK_Gold_Proof_Sovereign
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The modern one pound coin, not being gold, gets none of the respect a sovereign from Sherlock Holmes would.  As a matter of fact, 2-3% of ALL pound coins are fakes.  I thought that was an exaggeration, till I bought 120 or so coins (at a very good rate) from a local dealer.  I carefully looked at all of them, there were 2 definite fakes (legend and reverse mismatch), one possible fake.  In reality nobody looks at them, and the fakes work in coin machines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top