Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2009 3:32:42 AM EDT
I switched yesterday to Sky as my broadband provider, however, I have to use hidemyass in order to visit this site. I see an angry phone call in Sky's future.

Any of you have any thoughts on why deems it fit and proper to engage in censorship?
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems to be a continual problem. The last time this happened they had to flush a cache on their servers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I still can't find a proxy to access Arfcom using our Vista laptops. If this old desktop dies, I'm stuffed.............
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm on Virgin and it took me off a host of sites about 3 months ago including this one. I made 4 progressively aggressive phone calls before they freed everything up for me.
The first 2 calls,  they said that it wasn't their problem at all (which was bullshit as I could get onto the site with BT no problem). Communists
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm on Virgin and it took me off a host of sites about 3 months ago including this one. I made 4 progressively aggressive phone calls before they freed everything up for me.
The first 2 calls,  they said that it wasn't their problem at all (which was bullshit as I could get onto the site with BT no problem). Communists

I'm with Virgin and had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, and asked around to find other people on Virgin still had access. It was only when I said I'm switching to another ISP then that they sorted it...........Yet spookily I can't get it on my laptops via the same router but I think that's a Vista security settings thing..

Link Posted: 10/11/2009 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Cant connect via Virgin either so I just use www.ctunnel.com.

Link Posted: 10/11/2009 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

May give that a try for the laptop, cheers..

Link Posted: 10/11/2009 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with Virgin and had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, and asked around to find other people on Virgin still had access. It was only when I said I'm switching to another ISP then that they sorted it...........Yet spookily I can't get it on my laptops via the same router but I think that's a Vista security settings thing..

I've used Vista since day one - no probs getting here. Which router do you have? Some routers have a different set of rules for each PC/Laptop connecting through them... seems to be more of a problem with routers given with the package by the ISP.

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]

[/quote]
I've used Vista since day one - no probs getting here. Which router do you have? Some routers have a different set of rules for each PC/Laptop connecting through them... seems to be more of a problem with routers given with the package by the ISP.
 [/quote]

Belkin Wireless G Plus Router, not part of a package. As I said, the desktop is hardwired into it and has no problem....
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used Vista since day one - no probs getting here. Which router do
you have? Some routers have a different set of rules for each PC/Laptop
connecting through them... seems to be more of a problem with routers
given with the package by the ISP.

Quoted:

Belkin Wireless G Plus Router, not part of a package. As I said, the desktop is hardwired into it and has no problem...

If you hardwire either of the laptops, do they work?

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:53:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Belkin Wireless G Plus Router, not part of a package. As I said, the desktop is hardwired into it and has no problem....[/quote]
If you hardwire either of the laptops, do they work?
 [/quote]

Nope, that's why I think it's the security settings or internet protocols on the laptops..but my IT fu is weak..

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I use Virgin Media Broadband, but I've never had an issue with connecting to ARFCOM though....I've used both Linksys and Belkin Wireless routers without any problems (Windows XP laptops)

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep that ctunnel works great ................... first time iv been able to log in since being with sky

thanks for that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I use BT internet - never had an issue - I believe from the guff they send out that they do censor sites - but from what I've read it's the kind of stuff you wouldn't want to see anyway.

Harmless stuff like guns and ARFCOM madness isn't an issue
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Heck... UK Ebay prohibits me bidding on EbayUK gun-related items.... so much for cheap 1907 bayonets
Thank God I got my family out in time.
Soren
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep that ctunnel works great ................... first time iv been able to log in since being with sky

thanks for that.

ctunnel doesn't work on my laptop. I get the homepage with errors and can't do anything with it...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I just switched to BT broadband ( due to house move ) - was worried they might not like AR15.COM either. I have had problems with mobile internet from "3" - they would not allow access for some reason. Instead of even asking them I just cancelled the contract !

Anyway, no problems with BT !!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't be tempted to settle for using a proxy server, get the bastards to permit it.

Sky and Virgin both blocked it for me but after threatening to change provider they both allowed this site.

I changed provider anyway and now BT don't block anything (that I'm aware of) yet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I have never had a problem with BT other than access speed due to being a long way from the little wooden hut of an exchange.

The only place I have had problems getting onto AR15 was a place I worked a couple of jobs ago. I was working on a project for a Royal Navy missile sub that could take half or Europe off the face of the earth, and the in-house IT Nazis decided that I could not look at nasty things like guns, or the section of Tesco's on line shopping site that sells alcohol.

Tossers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top