Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 11:46:08 AM EDT
standing in my garden with the sound of a merlin engine shared with my little boy

a 15 minute display by a lone spitfire.

sorry the pics are crap but I only had a compact to hand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
you lucky sod

all i get is easy jet and ryanair  and the police chopper

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Once upon a time I lived in Stanmore not far from the old RAF WW2 base - they did some sort of memorial / reunion thingy and a Hurricane flew past very low over the rear garden, Then a spitfire. Then both in formation.

Amazing sound from the engines. Made me tingle.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Makes me smile every time I see this one

The airport very close to me is sometimes visited by warbirds, including Spitfires and the sound of a merlin usually gets me hanging out of a window or stumbling around the garden. Some years back this happened and I looked out to see a Spitfire and an ME109 (Spanish version) going into the airport together. Unable to contain myself I went over to see them both and met the late Nick Grace who was gentleman enough to let the dribbling stranger climb over his beloved two seat Spitfire. Within a year he had been killed in a car accident, but his widow still displays OUV. I have seen her fly to an orchestral performance. Simply awesome.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I live on the approach to Brize Norton. We've been working on the house all week and so have seen all the traffic coming in.

I'm pretty sure that at least one of the transports we've seen this week has been bringing one of our boys back home
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top