Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2009 12:54:29 PM EDT
I have just recieved the following in email from a friend who works in Air Traffic Control at Manchester Airport,

It is not a wind up or a joke, but true fact, it may be of interest to some of you

Hi all,

On Wednesday 25th March ( late afternoon ) the Space Shuttle Discovery will "undock" from the International Space Station to return to Florida on Saturday.  You can see both of them travelling in tandem on Wednesday 25th March at 7.32 to 7.37pm "weather permitting" as they will be passing quite high in the night sky. Both stay quite close throughout Wednesday night so the Station crew can visually check that Discovery's heat shield tiles are okay for re entry on Saturday.

What you will need to do is to go outside at 7.32pm on Wednesday and stand facing South. Then look over your right shoulder ( West ) and you should see low near the horizon a moving star like object, climbing higher and getting brighter as it approaches you.  ( Don't confuse it with any planes in the sky as planes of course have flashing anti collision lights).

By 7.35pm, this "star like object" will be about 50 degrees high above your head ( ie : the horizon is 0 degrees and directly above your head in 90 degrees, so it's roughly half way up ).

The bright star like object is the International Space Station and you should see traveling either just a bit in front of it, or behind it, a fainter moving star which will be the Space Shuttle Discovery.

Both will move on to your left hand side (East) as they fade from view, and by this time ( about 7.37pm ) with them travelling at " 17,000 MPH", they will already be over France !!!

Fingers crossed for clear skies and good luck.

D***** *********
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
odds on it will either be a cloudy night or pissing down
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You can see them both again tonight.

The Shuttle will will rise at 18:53 at 40degrees above West and will track to ESE, and again at 20:27 from 11degrees above West (not bad going, completely around the Earth in about 90 minutes!), each time closely followed by the Intl Space Station about 1 minute later. They're only visible for about 4 mins the first time and 2 mins the second.

Enjoy, you Geeks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Dense cloud cover on Wenesday, might be better tonight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can see them both again tonight.

The Shuttle will will rise at 18:53 at 40degrees above West and will track to ESE, and again at 20:27 from 11degrees above West (not bad going, completely around the Earth in about 90 minutes!), each time closely followed by the Intl Space Station about 1 minute later. They're only visible for about 4 mins the first time and 2 mins the second.

Enjoy, you Geeks.

Thanks for that Matt, I've got totally clear skies ATM so hoping to see something tonight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone got the details for tonight|???
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I.ve just seen it, only one light though, i'll have another look later

Only just seen this mail off my friend tonight
If you were clouded out last night, NASA say the Shuttle Discovery is staying undocked but along side the Space Station until it returns on Saturday.  So there is still time to see them both.

If you want to give it another, go Jumper would be good even colder tonight!!!!    Time for viewing 2 nite is between 8.00pm & 8.04pm . Tomorrow evening 6.52 & 6.58pm  and 8.27 & 8.30pm.

Good viewing. D*************
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good viewing. D*************[/span]

He's not been on the BBS, has he?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#12]
My son loves looking at the moon through my spotting scope.
I'll have to make sure we check this out.

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The shuttle is about 1 minute in front of the Intl Space Station, at the speeds they're travelling that's a few hundred miles, not what I'd call 'staying alongside'.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+Kingdom

Follow the link to get all the timings for a city/town near you in the UK.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata

This one will allow you to track many other satellites and stuff in space.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The shuttle is about 1 minute in front of the Intl Space Station, at the speeds they're travelling that's a few hundred miles, not what I'd call 'staying alongside'.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+Kingdom

Follow the link to get all the timings for a city/town near you in the UK.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata

This one will allow you to track many other satellites and stuff in space.

Cheers Scope-eye
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top