[#1]
No word on damaged / lost iPods?

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The Royal Navy described the boarding as “compliant”.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my first though, but then again they were up against a badly trained, uneducated, poorly led rabble, who they obviously out gunned, rather than another nation's navy....

Having had my poke at them, they did a great job, this is the only way to deal with these pirates, hit them hard and fast leave survivors to tell just how things happened to discourage the other would be pirates, and keep hitting them every time the appear. Take the war to them, raiding parties into their homeland, destroying their home's and hunt them like we do terrorists.

Tony

My thoughts exactly! Tony for PM!
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my first though, but then again they were up against a badly trained, uneducated, poorly led rabble, who they obviously out gunned, rather than another nation's navy....

Having had my poke at them, they did a great job, this is the only way to deal with these pirates, hit them hard and fast leave survivors to tell just how things happened to discourage the other would be pirates, and keep hitting them every time the appear. Take the war to them, raiding parties into their homeland, destroying their home's and hunt them like we do terrorists.

Tony

That was how the Barbary Pirates of North Africa were eventually stopped, a joint Dutch/Royal Navy fleet took the fight to them. Some of the first engagements of the fledgling US Navy were also against them, so a precedent exists to get in there and sort them out once and for all. Those operating in the Mallaca Straits and other waters around Malaysia/Indonesia could then be attended to in the same way. A bigger stick is the only thing people like that understand.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
They dont like it up 'em....................

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:00:54 AM EDT
[#8]
thats not bright is it.

Hmm open fire on a oat full of marines with guns.

Well done lads thats how to stop piracy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like them there Pirates need to be put out of business on a permanent basis.

Tony

Yes, they are getting very uppity, but the situation has accelerated so quickly in such a short period of time that I have no doubt that some time soon, it will all end in a world of tears and hurt

I think your assessment of the situation is correct. I find it hard to believe that a few ruffians and fishermen can take a small boat 400 miles offshore to intercept and hijack such a massive ship as that tanker. It indicates that they had detailed knowledge of the route and timing of the tanker's voyage. My money is on Iranian assistance, with information of passage through the Strait of Hormuz and even aerial surveillance to track it and guide the pirates onto it. Large as a supertanker is, the Indian Ocean is a big and empty place to find a ship.

It is time a few arses were kicked in that part of the world.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like them there Pirates need to be put out of business on a permanent basis.

Tony

Yes, they are getting very uppity, but the situation has accelerated so quickly in such a short period of time that I have no doubt that some time soon, it will all end in a world of tears and hurt

I think your assessment of the situation is correct. I find it hard to believe that a few ruffians and fishermen can take a small boat 400 miles offshore to intercept and hijack such a massive ship as that tanker. It indicates that they had detailed knowledge of the route and timing of the tanker's voyage. My money is on Iranian assistance, one of the latest ships to be hijacked was a ship laden with wheat bound for Iran  with information of passage through the Strait of Hormuz and even aerial surveillance to track it and guide the pirates onto it. Large as a supertanker is, the Indian Ocean is a big and empty place to find a ship.

What surprises me is how they think they can use millions of tons of crude oil ? Who are they going to sell it to ?

And the satelite pics taken by NATO show several large ships in the "pirate port" - maybe a SBS / Seal raid might do the trick ?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

I think your assessment of the situation is correct. I find it hard to believe that a few ruffians and fishermen can take a small boat 400 miles offshore to intercept and hijack such a massive ship as that tanker. It indicates that they had detailed knowledge of the route and timing of the tanker's voyage. My money is on Iranian assistance, one of the latest ships to be hijacked was a ship laden with wheat bound for Iran  with information of passage through the Strait of Hormuz and even aerial surveillance to track it and guide the pirates onto it. Large as a supertanker is, the Indian Ocean is a big and empty place to find a ship.

What surprises me is how they think they can use millions of tons of crude oil ? Who are they going to sell it to ?

And the satelite pics taken by NATO show several large ships in the "pirate port" - maybe a SBS / Seal raid might do the trick ?

They don't have any plans to sell it, holding the ship, cargo and crew to ransom is much simpler. My suspicions of Iranian involvement are based on the presumption that anything which disrupts Western commercial activity is likely to win the approval of the religous nutters who run the place. I did not know about the grain cargo, if the pirates are not that concerned about  whose  ships they take then they are likely to piss off everyone in time and bring retribution on themselves.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

They don't have any plans to sell it, holding the ship, cargo and crew to ransom is much simpler. My suspicions of Iranian involvement are based on the presumption that anything which disrupts Western commercial activity is likely to win the approval of the religous nutters who run the place. I did not know about the grain cargo, if the pirates are not that concerned about  whose  ships they take then they are likely to piss off everyone I want to see if they take a Russian ship. Or a ship with Israeli crew. I would imagine the Mossad or Spetsnatz response would be fast and furious in time and bring retribution on themselves.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

They don't have any plans to sell it, holding the ship, cargo and crew to ransom is much simpler. My suspicions of Iranian involvement are based on the presumption that anything which disrupts Western commercial activity is likely to win the approval of the religous nutters who run the place. I did not know about the grain cargo, if the pirates are not that concerned about  whose  ships they take then they are likely to piss off everyone I want to see if they take a Russian ship. Or a ship with Israeli crew. I would imagine the Mossad or Spetsnatz response would be fast and furious in time and bring retribution on themselves.

Yes, a Mossad or Spetsnatz response would be a good result! They don't piss about.

It may just be a matter of time before merchant ships in those waters start carrying professional armed defenders, it may well be happening now, they just have not encountered each other yet.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Yes, a Mossad or Spetsnatz response would be a good result! They don't piss about.

It may just be a matter of time before merchant ships in those waters start carrying professional armed defenders, it may well be happening now, they just have not encountered each other yet.

Or they HAVE encountered each other, the "operatives" shot the shit out of the pirates, watched them sink, then carried on as if nothing had happened.

I mean, imagine the paperwork and the pesky interference from human rights lawyers if they reported repelling the pirates ???

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I heard on the Radio today that the €uropean whatever was going to start looking at the humanitarian situation down there and see if they can give them a bung to stop them interfering with our shipping. Who says terrorism doesn't work.

Tony

Oh for fucks sake!!!!
You have got to be kidding!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I heard on the Radio today that the €uropean whatever was going to start looking at the humanitarian situation down there and see if they can give them a bung to stop them interfering with our shipping. Who says terrorism doesn't work.

Tony

Terrorism ALWAYS works. History has proven it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

Only because the terrorists fight dirtier than the people they are up against !
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Indian Navy sinks pirates

linky

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Indian Navy sinks pirates

linky

They appear to have sunk it using Barry Manilow.......unexpected, and evidently very effective.

Headline should read " Indian Navy sink pirate ship in naval nasal action".
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think your assessment of the situation is correct. I find it hard to believe that a few ruffians and fishermen can take a small boat 400 miles offshore to intercept and hijack such a massive ship as that tanker. It indicates that they had detailed knowledge of the route and timing of the tanker's voyage. My money is on Iranian assistance, with information of passage through the Strait of Hormuz and even aerial surveillance to track it and guide the pirates onto it. Large as a supertanker is, the Indian Ocean is a big and empty place to find a ship.

Don't be under the illusion that because it's a third world country these are third rate people. They ain't stupid. You've also got the likely hood of Islamic Jihad getting involved and offering help. They are know to have access to satellite recon and anyone that picks up a copy of Lloyds List can work out times and destinations from the information available there. Add to this some of the online subscription services and you can plot a route pretty acurately. Then they board small fast movers and board the vessels whilst under way if need be with grapelling hooks and a large amount of firepower. They also use motherships as a floating base. It used to be believed that if you were about 300 miles offshore you would be safe but that's no longer the case.

You only have to look at the figures put out by the IMB to see the frequency of these attacks. I think that this year there have been something like 60 odd hijackings off the Yemani coast and 30 - 35 off the Somali coast. Add to this the South China Sea and the Brazilian coast and the number jumps.

There are a number of non lethal devices available to the shipping companies to try and counter the threat but a determined foe is hard to deter.

As far as SF or private security teams raiding. Whilst I'd be happy to see a rapid end to these activities it's never going to be that easy. They may well have rigged explosive charges to the tanks to blow if any atempt is made to board them, imagine the furore if a couple of million barels of oil where dumped down the eastern coast of Africa and out towards the Seychelles! Plus it's such a big vessel they'd probably split the crew up making it alot harder for any attcking force to carry it off with no hostage casualties.

There have been some sucesses which is great but alot of it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. The marines the other day caught them on their own boat I believe, so had the benefit of not having non combatants to worry about before proceeding to kick their arses!

The EU have announced a task force under a British rear admiral to try and sort the problem out or at least minimise it by setting up designated safe routes that will be patrolled by warships and monitored 24/7 to keep the trade routes open.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Terrorism has many faces. Attacking a vulnerable systems' economic basis is a more effective way to bring it down than bumping off a few unarmed citizens or destroying the odd building..
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Terrorism has many faces. Attacking a vulnerable systems' economic basis is a more effective way to bring it down than bumping off a few unarmed citizens or destroying the odd building..

Very true. This is the basis of my suspicions that piracy offshore Somalia is going beyond a bit of free enterprise seaborne robbery and becoming a theatre of Jihad against the West in general. As posted earlier, the tanker capture was clearly a sophisticated operation, and not pulled off by a few thugs and co-opted fishermen.

It's not practical to just land a raiding party near a suspect port, go in and slot a few dodgy geezers with parrots on their shoulders. It is going to need a resolute, multi-national effort to stop or even reduce the pirate's activities. The Indian Navy effort was a good start, as someone posted here recently have there been unreported encounters with Russian or other tooled up crews? There have been a few cases where Russian crews have been suspected of "loosing" stowaways en route, due to the administrative arse ache involved if they are landed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true. This is the basis of my suspicions that piracy offshore Somalia is going beyond a bit of free enterprise seaborne robbery and becoming a theatre of Jihad against the West in general. As posted earlier, the tanker capture was clearly a sophisticated operation, and not pulled off by a few thugs and co-opted fishermen.

It's not practical to just land a raiding party near a suspect port, go in and slot a few dodgy geezers with parrots on their shoulders. It is going to need a resolute, multi-national effort to stop or even reduce the pirate's activities. The Indian Navy effort was a good start, as someone posted here recently have there been unreported encounters with Russian or other tooled up crews? There have been a few cases where Russian crews have been suspected of "loosing" stowaways en route, due to the administrative arse ache involved if they are landed.

Seemed fairly easy to start the war in Iraq.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seemed fairly easy to start the war in Iraq.

Yes, because Iraq is a vast acreage of sand floating on a vast sea of oil. When piracy around Somalia gets to the stage where it becomes a significant threat to the economic interests of the industrial world, by which I mean the USA, Europe, Russia, China, India, Japan: i.e. everybody except the religious nutters festering in the Middle East and the 'Stans, then concerted, resolute action will start to happen. Rules of Engagement will be relaxed, pirate boats will be sunk by naval action and others will simply be "lost at sea" when no news media people are around. Bodies and wreckage will drift ashore and the penny will drop. Multi national action against pirate strongholds has closed down their activities in the past and is probably the only way to do so again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]
apparently it's not difficult to track a ship if you have the right equipment, which these people seem to have. Ship AIS

This site taps into AIS for ships round the coast but the system is global

ETA  worldwide ship tracker  Find your next target

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony

The reasons don't matter, terrorism always works.

Only because the terrorists fight dirtier than the people they are up against !

And your point is?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
apparently it's not difficult to track a ship if you have the right equipment, which these people seem to have. Ship AIS

This site taps into AIS for ships round the coast but the system is global

ETA  worldwide ship tracker  Find your next target

Scary stuff. I knew these systems existed but was not aware of how much is in the public domain. On the bright side, I see that a couple of the major North Sea and Atlantic oil installations in which I have a professional interest are still where they should be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top