Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 9:27:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Not had alot to do with Vista (my Dad has itand likes it) but a couple
of guys at work say it has issues with 'gaming'.

Is there a problem with Vista and gaming ??
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not so clever with some older games - although there is the 'compatibility mode' that XP has. DirectX10 seems to be largely a waste of time at the moment, but some new games are starting to support it...

ETA There does seem to be some laziness from game publishers in bringing out patches for existing pre-Vista games. (But it should also be said that Microsoft totally changed the entire audio sub-system in Vista which couldn't have helped game developers...)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
vista has alot of problems and most are to do with any game you play.Alot of pll i know have duel bootup xp/vista
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA There does seem to be some laziness from game publishers in bringing out patches for existing pre-Vista games. (But it should also be said that Microsoft totally changed the entire audio sub-system in Vista which couldn't have helped game developers...)

......which means nothing to me

Thanks for that, now its as clear as mud  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbalhabla...................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................................................................
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
<---- Desperately holding onto XP....

Will switch once gun put to head and Microsoft no longer support XP...

You'll be happy for quite a while yet... XP Service Pack 3 due soon....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Vista is pants, Ubuntu is the way to go. It's secure, its got fancy graphics and it's FREE!.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
we are having serious issues with vista due to the lack of graphics card drivers out there.... it is getting better for us though, it kinda works now instead of just not working......
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Vista is pants, Ubuntu is the way to go. It's secure, its got fancy graphics and it's FREE!.

And it's got a long long long long way to go before it stops being a niche OS and makes it into the mainstream.... even being free doesn't tempt anyone other than enthusiasts to use it on a day to day basis as a desktop OS.

The 'pants' Vista only sold 28 million copies in the quarter ending in September - compared to Apple's entire installed base of 22 million OS X users (as of the end of March this year).

Even with the numbers sold, Vista has had a painful start - but it will get fixed in far less time than it will take Ubuntu to be widely accepted. (BTW I have tried Ubuntu.)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's got a long long long long way to go before it stops being a niche OS and makes it into the mainstream.... even being free doesn't tempt anyone other than enthusiasts to use it on a day to day basis as a desktop OS.

The 'pants' Vista only sold 28 million copies in the quarter ending in September - compared to Apple's entire installed base of 22 million OS X users (as of the end of March this year).

Even with the numbers sold, Vista has had a painful start - but it will get fixed in far less time than it will take Ubuntu to be widely accepted. (BTW I have tried Ubuntu.)

Does all that mean it's better than Windows 3.1 in shades of grey?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

........The 'pants' Vista only sold 28 million copies in the quarter ending in September - compared to Apple's entire installed base of 22 million OS X users (as of the end of March this year).

Those 28million copies are probably from PC hardware sales as Vista is forced on people buying a new PC.  I know Dell and others do provide XP now after complaints.  PC's with Ubuntu preinstalled are being sold by Dell and also Tesco Direct so even though Linux is far behind MS and Apple they are making inroads into a tough business.  

Vista is the BEST thing that could have happened to Ubuntu and Linux because it requires the latest greatest hardware to run at a usable speed.  If you have a slower, working computer with no need to upgrade and you want an up to date OS that is more secure than XP/Vista or OSX then Linux is the answer.

Linux is no longer only for enthusiasts. Ubuntu is easier to install than Vista as no license key required or activation.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It's my thread and I think Vista's great, so I'm going to lock this thread so y'all can't argue about it anymore
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#17]
It's still great....and still locked
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Its the goderator's ball and you're not playing!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top