Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 11:23:53 AM EDT
Anyone ever had or does have a rifle from Catus Arms....the guy seems very helpful and knows his stuff...wanted to see if anyone had any dealings with him.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a comprehensive review in target sports, they spoke highly of the rifle. Its receiver however is only capable of left hand charging which is ok from a bipod but will limit its usability in PR comps etc.

If your looking of a new AR15 speak to the moderator Streetfighter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazines will never rubbish products, even if it's warranted, because they need the income from advertising, and they don't want to get sued. A very few try to provide an 'objective' perspective but it just isn't commercialy viable.

I have seen the Cactus products, at Phoenix 2005/2006?, in the flesh and I thought they looked okay, although I didn't strip or shoot one. The chap I spoke to on the stand kept trying to cite reasons as to why right hand cocking wasn't necessary as 'all the serious shooters use left-hand'. Anyway, a short while later I read somewhere that they were looking at producing a right-hand cocker. I have yet to see one............

I have seen a review on an AR type that was a pile of pooh, as I happened to be present at an impromptu trial and saw what really happened.....

..actually it wasn't a complete pile of pooh, because when it shot it shot well, it just didn't always shoot...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've seen a comprehensive review in target sports, they spoke highly of the rifle. Its receiver however is only capable of left hand charging which is ok from a bipod but will limit its usability in PR comps etc.

Not so... The receiver works well as a right charger (my Whisper has one), but it needs someone with the tools and ability to machine the parts. Nothing I've seen about Cactus would suggest they have either. They look like they are importing the bog standard bits and then assembling them (which is fine if you want a bog standard rifle).
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The reviewer shot the rifle at my club, I was there and had a go with it along with the other PR shooters.  We all gave the reviewer lots of feedback, most of which didn't make the review.  The phrase "not biting the hand" comes to mind.  I don't think Mr Cactus has ever seen a CSR or PR match let alone shot one, how you going to re-chamber the next round when using a sling? And there's no charging handle so a Tac-latch is out.  And as lefty I didn't find that easy to use  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone ever had or does have a rifle from Catus Arms....the guy seems very helpful and knows his stuff...wanted to see if anyone had any dealings with him.

STEP AWAY FROM THE CAT SHIT
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I stand corrected his
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Not so... The receiver works well as a right charger (my Whisper has one), but it needs someone with the tools and ability to machine the parts. Nothing I've seen about Cactus would suggest they have either. They look like they are importing the bog standard bits and then assembling them (which is fine if you want a bog standard rifle).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I did see a little AR lookalike on the Cactus arms stand at the Phoenix this year - it was based on a Ruger 10/22 and looked nifty as well as feeling light - the price was surprisingly heavy... They did have a couple of ARs in .223 and neither seemed as good as the one I got off Mark last year.

My advice would be to look before you buy.

Just my 2p worth.

PS Of course, I totally ignored my own advice and just spoke to Mark who I'd never met and a few weeks later he was dropping off my brand new toy - haven't been so excited since an event I'd rather not discuss on a family friendly forum!

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have seen the Cactus products, at Phoenix 2005/2006?, in the flesh and I thought they looked okay, although I didn't strip or shoot one. The chap I spoke to on the stand kept trying to cite reasons as to why right hand cocking wasn't necessary as 'all the serious shooters use left-hand'. Anyway, a short while later I read somewhere that they were looking at producing a right-hand cocker. I have yet to see one............

I think that someone here has/had/saw a Cactus right hand cocker... I don't recall it getting a very good review.

A few of us also spoke to him - Ron Flint (Mr Cactus) - at one of the shows and also got the same 'serious shooters use left-hand cocking' comments.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
..bit of a prickly subject then.....

..every time I see that Whisper I think it's a great looking gun, but what you do with night vision on a .30 cal beatsme, but then it might be better I don't know...........
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There's not a cat safe for 200yds

Pussy assassin eh?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..bit of a prickly subject then.....

..every time I see that Whisper I think it's a great looking gun, but what you do with night vision on a .30 cal beatsme, but then it might be better I don't know...........

I would go foxing with it....

Me too, if I could convince Glos. plod that .300 Whisper is a suitable fox round. Maybe I'll try next time. Mind you, they wouldn't accept .243, despite it being listed as a suitable round for fox control in the Home Office guidance. Apparantly, that is just "guidance", and they need not follow it (except when it suits them, when it is "Home Office Guidance", and they may not deviate from it!)

Jobsworths, where would we be without them? (Anyone who says that we would be wealthier, heathier and a lot happier is probably in line for an ASBO, a visit form the thought plod and a great big bill from Gordon Brown)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top