Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 12:20:19 AM EDT
What are the various UK available factory .223/5.56 ammo brands like for extraction in a straight pull AR ?

The brands the spring to mind for ready availability are American Eagle, Privi, and RG.

Do different lots of RG extract differently ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the same go for all RG? I thought that was why NATO chambered guns will take anything but a commercially chambered .308 for instance, can't necessarily handle NATO spec 7.62mm?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure .308 and 7.62x51 are identical, it is the 2.23 and 5.56 which have slight differences.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What are the various UK available factory .223/5.56 ammo brands like for extraction in a straight pull AR ?

The brands the spring to mind for ready availability are American Eagle, Privi, and RG.

Do different lots of RG extract differently ?

Never had a problem with American Eagle, RG is a little "tighter" but still extracts. Stay away from Barnaul (steel cased Russian).
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pretty sure .308 and 7.62x51 are identical, it is the 2.23 and 5.56 which have slight differences.

From Fulton Armoury FAQ's........

Most of the time it's a distinction without a difference. But if you intend to shoot .308 commercial in a military arm chambered for 7.62MM, first check the headspace with .308 commercial gauges first. You may get a surprise.

.223  Do NOT use such a chambering if you EVER plan on shooting any military NATO 5.56 ammo, which happens to be only the most common, least expensive and most widely used AR15 cartridge available in all the world. In other words, NEVER buy/use a SAAMI-spec chamber in a battle rifle, especially if the barrel and chamber are chromed, as you cannot fix it!

That's what they say, however..........

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stay away from Barnaul (steel cased Russian).

Why would you even be interested in putting that cr*p through your gun?

+1 Last LOT I tried was so out of spec it wouldn't even chamber!

Save the extra £5 per 100 (at most) and get something that will group!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I an using '04 rg at the moment purchased from York Guns and it is no problem on extraction in my Olympic arms AR. I have had problems with early RG on extraction ('88-93) but no problems with later dates '01 onwards. I got some '94 rg ammo boxed by rorg and when  i opened the boxes it was portugese FNB headstamped ammo with the green tips. This is very hard on extraction i litterally had to hammer the bolt open. Not very good !! Still got 60rds left if anyone wants it you can have it FOC!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stay away from Barnaul (steel cased Russian).

Why would you even be interested in putting that cr*p through your gun?

Like 20" heavy fluted barrels, getting married and a lot of other things in life, it seemed a good idea at the time, ie cheap practise ammo.  I know better now

A couple of hundred rounds of cr*p ammo is no big deal compared to an illegal war
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I an using '04 rg at the moment purchased from York Guns and it is no problem on extraction in my Olympic arms AR. I have had problems with early RG on extraction ('88-93) but no problems with later dates '01 onwards. I got some '94 rg ammo boxed by rorg and when  i opened the boxes it was portugese FNB headstamped ammo with the green tips. This is very hard on extraction i litterally had to hammer the bolt open. Not very good !! Still got 60rds left if anyone wants it you can have it FOC!!

I'll swap it for you I like that FNB (Belgian) stuff
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#11]
ACR 26 If you want the FNB Ammo you can have it if you can find a way of getting it from Cheshire !!
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#12]
At the PR Comp at Bangor on Saturday; You should go!
Working at Valley, N Wales until Monday night, then back to middle England!
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Club Shooting sat but if you ever get this way send me a message i wont be using it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top