Background Checks

1 SCRO / PNC
2 DVLA
3 Local INT
4 Domestic Violence
5 Special Branch
6 Complaints

Suitability

1 Can the individual be permitted to possess a firearm without danger to the public
2 Is the individual thought to be of sound mind
3 Is the applicant thought to be of temperate habits
4 Has the applicant proved to your satisfaction that he/she is a fit person to be entrusted with a firearm

Good Reason

1 Sate applicants reasons to possess each firearm
2 Has the applicant recently purchased ammunition (home loading?)
3 Are the quantities of ammunition applied for authorised/justified
4 Details of landowner if applicable
5 Is the land safe for the firearm to be used
6 Is the applicant a full member of a gun club  - Details
7 Have they attended regularly and complied with the rules?

Security

1 Will the guns be in a secure cabinet
2 Are the security arrangements satisfactory
3 Where appropriate give details of arrangements for storing ammunition

Referees

1 Are the referees suitable persons
2 Do the referees understand what they have verified

Observations

Summarise the applicant as he / she appears to you using the following notes as guidance. This list is prescriptive and you should mention anything which gives rise to any concern about suitability

1 Personal history of applicant (medical, emotional, drink, drugs, medication)
2 Home and domestic circumstances
3 Details of friends/associates
4 Is anything known to the detriment of these persons
5 Experience with firearms
6 Attitude to firearms
7 Did applicant co-operate fully during the enquiry

Enquiry Officers Observations

Supervisory Officers Observations

Area Commanders Observations

Chief Officers Decision

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to look after my forearms.....

Here's a quick question.

As an FAC holder are you required to keep an accurate record of when and where and what rifle you shoot..?

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Here's a quick question.

As an FAC holder are you required to keep an accurate record of when and where and what rifle you shoot..?

I'm sure you are, as a club we keep a record of what days we are at the club and what rifles we use, we also do the same for our trips to Altcar.

I think you have to to show proof your using the rifles you have.

Steve ( probaly wrong )
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a quick question.

I'm sure you are, as a club we keep a record of what days we are at the club and what rifles we use, we also do the same for our trips to Altcar.

Steve ( probaly wrong )

I don't mean the club records I mean are you require to keep additional personal records..?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't keep personal records as such but enter various matches and comps and keep my outlook diary up to date so can usually quote to the police when and where I've shot if I need too. The police can do the leg work to check if they want too, if you're a regular shooter with a known history that you can prove then the police are usually more than happy.  

At the end of the day if your club secretary has to inform the police of your non-attendance then expect a call from the FEO/FLO, you will have to justify your continued 'good reason' and there may be many valid reasons to support your case but unless they are more than 'I just could not find the time' then stand by.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a quick question.

Steve ( probaly wrong )

I don't mean the club records I mean are you require to keep additional personal records..?

There is no requirement for you to keep records, but if you do then it will obviously help with any application/renewal or justification.

I also try to keep an accurate count of rounds through each new barrel I have, when I not this down I just add a date and place.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#6]
About 6 years ago the German Authority's came up with a brain wave.

That all ammo was to be given an individual bar code, and when the ammo was used the bar code was to be read and fed into a computer, so that they knew that it had be used in a correct fashion, ie. on a range.

The problem's that handloader's and hunter's would have had plus the cost of all of the kit to do it, and the way it would have pushed the pric€ of ammo through the roof.

Luckily for us, they saw the error of their ways and binned the idea, and as we arnt limited to the ammount of ammo we can hold at any one time, yet (except by our financial situation).

I keep a range book, that state's the date/range/type of weapon fired, and if the result's were very good to once in a life time I'll keep and catalogue the tgt insert, I keep the reciept's for my ammo purchase's for the wifey so that she has an insight as to how I spend my pocket money.

@ ACR26,

We dont have a lot of the check's done on us, through the Polizei, as the whole thing is done by the Authority's at local Govt. level. I hope that the local INT thing isnt a way that your nieghbour who dosent like you because you part your hair to the left, can air his dislike and prevent you from getting an FAC. We don't need referee's either, there are a few other point's on the list that IMHO shouldnt be there as the over step the line.

The German way of doing it.

You attend a club, participate in the sport useing either club weapon's or those from other member's.

You join the club, and particpate in the sport on a regular basis.

Do a Safety and handling course, which is tested at local Govt. level.

After a 18 month probation period you can apply to purchase and own your own weapon's.

The local Authority's process your application, they do a Polizeiführungszeugnis check at Govt level, with your application you have to include detail's of your club membership, reason's for the type of weapon ( caliber & type only not the make & model), that you wish to own, and in which dicsipline you want them for. Storage provision's that should be in place or to be implaced on being granted an FAC (Waffenbesitzkarte).

Everything going well, you should get the result's within 2 - 6 week's. Then they issue you with the FAC, and off you trott to get your gun's. When you register the newly purchased firearm's you should take the reciept and detail's of your gun cabinet with you, if you didnt prove ownership during the application phase.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The German Grown Ups way of doing it.

You attend a club, participate in the sport useing either club weapon's or those from other member's.

You join the club, and particpate in the sport on a regular basis.

Do a Safety and handling course, which is tested at local Govt. level.

After a 18 month probation period you can apply to purchase and own your own weapon's.

Fixed…

The 'British' way is an utter farce and has done NOTHING to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and nutters.

HELLO!!! Earth calling Home Office! If I want a gun to do naughty stuff with I'm not going to jump through a gazillion hoops the register the bloody thing! I'm going to bung Dodgey Del a monkey for something useful…

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Hiya Andy,

The probation time used to be 12 month's but they upped it to 18 month's when they introduced the new gun law on April fool's day 2003.

A few years ago I was in a club and hadnt managed to shoot in a whole year due to my work. The local civil servant who run's the show wrote me a letter to ask why? I faxed him a copy of my range days where we could shoot and my shift plan for the year, then  I rang him up and explained that after a 15hr day I wasnt going to drive to a range and waste ammo as I wouldnt be on top form. He was very understanding and informed me of a new club & range that had just been completed near where I live, (of which I'm now a member). He can be a pain in the nether region's as he is a tgt shooter and hunter and dosent suffer fool's lightly. He retire's in a few year's which will be a loss, as I have always found him to be informative helpfull & correct.  

Tony
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

HELLO!!! Earth calling Home Office! If I want a gun to do naughty stuff with I'm not going to jump through a gazillion hoops the register the bloody thing! I'm going to bung Dodgey Del a monkey for something useful…

ANdy

Can you really get one? I've heard this said many a time, 'you can get a weapon in any pub', but when you say 'OK get me one', suddenly it's not so easy. I'd just hand it straight in, of course, with a note saying it was handed in to me as a dealer.

It's one of those urban myths that has become almost true, I've been to some very dodgy pubs, and some in the east end of London, and never been offered any type of firearm.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Can you really get one? I've heard this said many a time, 'you can get a weapon in any pub', but when you say 'OK get me one', suddenly it's not so easy. I'd just hand it straight in, of course, with a note saying it was handed in to me as a dealer.

It's one of those urban myths that has become almost true, I've been to some very dodgy pubs, and some in the east end of London, and never been offered any type of firearm.

I was told that by my FEO…

And if you don't know the right people you may as well walk into a dodgy boozer with your dick hanging as you'd attract less notice.

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Its always fascinated me how these blokes in pubs can offer new AK's and Glocks at less than they cost to make?

The most exciting I've ever been offered are old farm shotguns and a verey pistol.

Richard
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Well someone has a market to supply…

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/correspondent/3256318.stm

www.guardian.co.uk/gun/Story/0,2763,874372,00.html

And Customs keep themselves busy… assuming 1 in 10 are intercepted would be a 'generaous' assessment…

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmhansrd/vo041220/text/41220w51.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top